[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any vets here? I need some urgent help. My dog has recently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: 20151128_172955.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151128_172955.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Any vets here? I need some urgent help.

My dog has recently developed an abscess on his right paw between the 2 most prominent toes. This was noticed today but he has been licking at it for the last few days. Previously I'd thought it was a foreign body lodged in his paw, but examination revealed nothing.

The lump is not tender to palpation but it is tender when I attempted to gently express it. No discharge was noted.

Additionally he has developed unilateral protrusion of his right third eyelid, the same side as the paw, most noticeable when he is at rest, but retracts when he is excited.

When excited he often pauses to dry retch for approximately 30 seconds with nothing produced. This has started today.

Additionally I note he is more lethargic than usual.
His gait is normal and breathing appears to be slightly increased at rest.

3 days ago he ingested a very small amount of any sand containing bifenthrin, approximately one teaspoon, which is well under the amount to cause symptoms in a dog of this size. He showed no symptoms after ingestion.

He is a 2 year old pure bred maremma sheepdog with an unremarkable past medical history, within the normal weight of his size and not neutered.

I think this is an abscess possibly caused by previous foreign body being lodged in his paw.

Could this also be tetanus? I think he has had his normal childhood vaccinations, but I don't know if they routinely give tetanus injections.

Also for treatment, is lancing and drainage in sterile conditions with topical betadine twice daily adequate?

Or should I take him to the vet?

We do not have much money, as a result we only have so much to spend on him. I've been saving up, but I'd rather only spend it when he gets old and needs major surgery, give he is a purebreed and a large dog.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pic related. The lump which I think is an abscess.
>>
File: 20151128_172847.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151128_172847.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
The eyelid is much more noticeable when he is not excited. Unfortunately he had decided he didn't want his picture taken without slobbering over my phone.

Usually it covers until it reaches a small portion of the lateral iris but it does not impede vision.

It's strange that it is unilateral.
>>
File: vet 1.jpg (389 KB, 850x565) Image search: [Google]
vet 1.jpg
389 KB, 850x565
>>
I like he tries to speak like he's making medical notes, but is obviously not of any medical background. Vets don't come to 4chan, and if they did I certainly wouldn't take my animal to them.
>>
>>2006323
THANK YOU
>>
File: 1442774826284.png (9 KB, 300x100) Image search: [Google]
1442774826284.png
9 KB, 300x100
>>2006316
Here, let us NON EXPERTS give you advice that you can then use to experiment with your dog. You know, there's a good chance it won't work and your dog will slowly rot away while you try every blog cure you can find instead of taking a hundred bucks out of your fucking junk food and video games budget to get your fucking dog checked out. Oh and then there's also the option of simply letting him suffer a slow and painful death at home instead of checking with the vet and simply giving him an easy way out from the pain if it's needed.
>>
>>2006316
Ya agreed. As someone who has many pets. Take it to a vet asap....
>>
Took him to vet.

Vet says it's nothing. Wait for abscess to resolve by itself.
Took out a small piece of plant matter lodged in it. Looked like a black dot from outside.

Not severe enough for surgery or lancing.

The eye thing is benign and will go away with age.

Thanks for making me waste 130 bucks.

You guys are fucking useless
>>
>>2006368
> You guys are fucking useless
Well duh. We aren't vets. Now feel better that your dog is OK and remember that the vets is where to go if you have pet medical problems on your hands.
>>
>>2006368
You're fucking retarded and should not own any pets, take that dog to the humane society or something and put it up for adoption.
>>
>>2006368
Surrender your pet to a shelter immediately.
He shouldn't have to put up with you.
>>
File: thisdispleasesme.png (883 KB, 707x590) Image search: [Google]
thisdispleasesme.png
883 KB, 707x590
>>2006368
next time op go to a dog only forum and ask about these kind of issues there. I do the same with hamsters. /an/ only knows how to shout "Take it to a vet" or "surrender your pet"
>>
>>2006450
>>2006417
>mfw i realize /an/ is a memeboard
kekerino
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.