[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone here explain why bugs sit completly still sometimes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4
File: 1427824024014.jpg (9 KB, 241x209) Image search: [Google]
1427824024014.jpg
9 KB, 241x209
Can anyone here explain why bugs sit completly still sometimes?
Because there's a spider just chilling on my curtains not doing anything or moving
I went and made some coffee and they're still just sitting there
I've seen moths do it to
???
>>
THEY SLEEPIN
>>
>>2002053
Oh
Never actually though about that for some reason
But why aren't they sleeping in or near they're web instead of on a curtain where a big pink thing keeps looking at them?
>>
File: fleb.png (1 MB, 1000x725) Image search: [Google]
fleb.png
1 MB, 1000x725
Imma bite that butthole tonight
>>
>>2002066
l-lewd
>>
>>2002057
The curtain is probably hiding the web or they don't have a web built yet. Catch it in a cup and put it outside.
>>
most spiders have pretty terrible eyesight, and things that aren't moving are hard for them to see

most spiders are also cannibals from the moment they spawn

as a result they have evolved to not move much for days on end conserving energy while being harder to detect by most predators/other spiders more of the time
>>
>>2002249
>most spiders are also cannibals from the moment they spawn
Is this really true?

At least for the species that balloon, the spiders shouldn't become cannibals until after the dispersal.
>>
>>2002286
>shouldn't
why the fuck not?
>>
>>2002050

Moths, aren't sleeping most of the time when they are completely still. They are vibrating so they warm up their wings, since they are nocturnal beings and don't have the energy of the sun at their disposal at night...

>The more you know...

Also; an amazing channel or series of videos since theres only like 8 that he has uploaded.

https://youtu.be/qaKJFBGheIs
>>
>>2002318
moths don't just sit around vibrating all the time, that's goddamn crazytalk
>>
>>2002318
moths don't sleep, they torpor.
>>
>>2002066
I-it looks cute in a weird way.
>>
>>2002331

>moths don't sleep, they lethargy
>moths don't sleep, they inactivity
>moths don't sleep, they sloth

gtfo bugfuck
>>
There was a baby small ass spider in my house that would stand still on the edge of the wall forever. It never ever fucking moved but I know it was alive because when I touched it once in a while it would react.
It stood still for 3 months straight.

Anyone have an explanation for this?
>>
>>2002351

sick combover
>>
>>2002286
i know that some spiders start cannibalizing siblings before they leave the eggsac but its not most like >>2002249 seems to think.
spider cannibalism is usually female eating male before or after copulation.
>>
>>2002406

I keep going back to this and I laugh every time... ''letargy''...
>>
>>2002411
It torpored.
>>
>>2003321
I love how every single thing buggfagg says instantly becomes a meme.
>>
>>2002385
>hair that looks like fur
>big, black eyes, similar to a small mammal's
Actually, it looks cute in a very conventional way.
>>
>>2002050
No sense expending calories bro. Most animals do this really. They lie around/sleep in sanctuary unless they are feeding or breeding. For insects and arachnids sanctuary is not a hiding place as often as not being perceived through not moving. So you don't use calories and you avoid predators at the same time
>>
my tarantula rarely moves, but she she eats 2 crickets every two months or so.

they just have slow metabolisms i guess
>>
File: coco.jpg (468 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
coco.jpg
468 KB, 960x1280
>>2003741
My tarantula eats 2 crickets twice a week and she isn't even fully grown yet. The fuck?
>>
File: fish_crop_circles.png (1 MB, 709x720) Image search: [Google]
fish_crop_circles.png
1 MB, 709x720
>>2002331
Of course moths don't seep. They don't have the brain capacity to do so, unlike mammals.
>>
>>2002347
>>2002348
>>2002351
>>2002406
Is bugguy basically like your guy's Boco?
>>
>>2004197
>unlike mammals.
mammals torpor as well.

they're not much different from any other group of animals, almost all animals are unable to sleep because you can't lose consciousness if you don't have it to begin with.

but even mammals with demonstrated components of consciousness such as rats torpor so it doesn't mean much.

sleep is extremely rare, likely because it isn't a very successful adaptation.
>>
>>2004381
Boco is a tripfag on /v/ and /co/ who contributes nothing to discussion, has shit taste that he never fails to show, and everyone hates him but he still won't just take off his fucking trip. So yeah, bugguy is /an/'s Boco.
>>
>>2004468
>who contributes nothing to discussion
Bugguy is one of the few people that actually contributes to discussions on /an/, as much as you might hate him.
It's the people that follow him around that contribute to nothing.
>>
>>2004470
Discussion that isn't just telling bugguy what an idiot he is and how torpor still isn't a verb no matter how much he uses it in that context
>>
>>2004473
This is a discussion about sleep, not grammar.
You're one of the shitposters that follows him around. You contribute to absolutely nothing.
>>
>>2004476
It's not so much that I follow him around as much as he's everywhere at once derailing any thread I may happen to find interest in. Oh look, a reptile and amphibian thread, I like rep- oh, never mind, bugguy went and fucked this thread before I even got here and now half the posts are people telling him how wrong he is, and the other half are bugguy putting his hands over his ears and pretending he can't hear anyone. If I wanted a thread on how dipshits think taxonomy works I'd have fucking asked for one.
>>
>>2004484
>oh, never mind, bugguy went and fucked this thread before I even got here and now half the posts are people telling him how wrong he is
It's funny because Bugguy knows the most about reptiles on /an/, he is the most experienced reptile keeper we have here and the only reptile breeder.
Without his contribution the thread is going to be entirely filled with leopard geckos and bearded dragons.
>>
>>2004487
I fucking quit. I'm convinced you're like his dad or something.
>>
>>2004489
I guess you've never actually paid attention to the threads you 'may happen to find interest in'
>>
>>2004491
Whatever you say Mr. Bugguy, may I call you Mr. Bugguy?
>>
>>2004492
>Everyone that disagrees with me is Bugguy.
shitposter.
>>
I don't want to directly engage bugguy but I'll just mention that I personally learned that torpor is more like a state of hibernation but not quite. Desert rodents do it to avoid the hottest parts of the day, so they lower their metabolisms for a short time so they don't heat up etc, and some mammals do it when food is scarce. It's pretty different to sleep like most mammals do. But of course bugguy had to bring his special consciousness vice in to it.
>>
>>2004493
>someone that agrees unquestionably with and praises a tripfag that everyone hates can't possibly have anything to do with said tripfag
>>
>>2004494
> It's pretty different to sleep like most mammals do
sleep requires loss of consciousness.

you can't lose what you don't have.

torpor is the only accurate term for what most animals do.
>>
>>2004504
Torpor is not that though. Torpor is a form of hibernation.

I agree with non-human sleep ('behavioural') being different to ours ('psychological') on the loss of consciousness front, many studies explain that, but is still classified as a sleep-like state.
>>
>>2004510
It actually is.
>Torpor is a state of decreased physiological activity in an animal

it's usually similar to hibernation, but not limited to so it can be used in this context, seeing there's no better word for it and you'd slaughter the english language by using sleep.
>>
>>2004513
I can quote too wikipedia too
>Animals that hibernate are in a state of torpor, differing from sleep.
Hibernation is extended bouts or many successive bouts of torpor. Saying hibernation was just a big long sleep would be wrong.

>slaughter the english language
But this is what you're doing by suggesting invertebrate sleep = torpor. You can literally say 'behavioural sleep' or 'non-human sleep' and people will understand their is a difference between regular sleep and what you're describing.
>>
>>2004516
too bad you can't read posts you're replying to.
>it's usually similar to hibernation

>But this is what you're doing
I didn't come up with the term torpor and I didn't make it as widely applicable as it is.

>and people will understand their is a difference between regular sleep and what you're describing.
you're overestimating people.
>>
>>2004518
I said in my first reply torpor is a form of hibernation, I don't know what you're getting at.

Well yeah that's obvious, but I'm talking about genuine definitions, now what people say and decide it is. You're getting in to unofficial redefining territory when you decide a word just kinda fits a description without checking first if there is a better word.

>you're overestimating people.
Well I tend to discuss these things with educational equals who understand, not cretins on the internet or those who have no interest in the correct definitions of varying animal inactivity.

I guess you're set in your ways though, which is fine.
>>
>>2004524
YOUR THE CRETIN FUCKER
DONT EVER FUCKING TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN
>>
>>2004524
>I don't know what you're getting at.
at 'it's usually similar to hibernation'

it's often a form of hibernation, but it's not limited to it.
>but I'm talking about genuine definitions
this is the first result in most dictionaries, I don't know what you're trying to appeal to.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.