[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much time should someone spend with their dog a day? Like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: JD.jpg (102 KB, 592x408) Image search: [Google]
JD.jpg
102 KB, 592x408
How much time should someone spend with their dog a day? Like 2 long (45 min) walks and an hour of playtime inside? He has backyard access and CANNOT be trusted on carpets ever
>>
That seems pretty depressingly short. They're social animals. Have you considered working with a trainer on the carpet issue? Or crate training him out of it? Or is there a non carpeted space? Or maybe you can do several play sessions?

What kind of outdoor enclosure does he have? If it is like a spacious yard or run that you can put enrichment item in then that might not be so bad. But if it's just chained up, to me that's borderline cruel.
>>
>>2002051

Well he's 6 months old and a rat terrier. Got one class so far (knows sit, stand, stay, and come here) and also ALL his vaccinations even a microchip and lyme disease.

He has every part of the house that's not linoleum.

He's usually good at pissing on his pissing mat even though I walk him but he just peed right in front of me and he's locked up in the crate.

I do play tug of war or wrestle with him if I have to go to the kitchen or just sit down there an hour or two. He WAS ok with being in my room but he pisses instantly once he enters my room and fuck that..

He has a spacious yard but just sits by the door most of the time and just wastes his opportunities.He ate a bird once! It's like 1/4 of an acre and 30% is a pine tree area and the rest is grass backyard. We also have downstairs neighbors that spend time in the yard but he avoids the fuck out of them for some reason (prolly cuz they have 4 loud annoying tail yanking kids all under the age of 12)
>>
>>2002056

He pissed in the crate? Take him to the vey and have the vet take a look because that sounds like it could be some kind of bladder infection/uti which aren't uncommon in puppies. Typically any dog will do anything they can to avoid eliminating where they sleep.

If not that, since he is so young I'm pretty sure some training might really help. Or if you're unwilling to do that you should find him a new home. But I really don't think the idea of keeping him outside all the time will make either of you happy.
>>
Rat Terrers bond closely with their people. They tend to be needy, emotional dogs. It is not fair to make a Rattie live outside.
>>
house train him dude
>>
>>2002069
dont fucking buy weewee pad ever!! DONT USE THEM INDOORS. Train the dog to shit and piss outside, put the pads outside, and praise him when he goes outdoors. If you see him pissing or shitting indoors grab him by the scruff, bring him to his mess and slap him in the muzzle and throw him outside. Potty train your dam mutts
>>
>>2002100
Ignore this douche. Don't hit your dog.
>>
>>2002100
Hitting dogs is a bad idea, but training them to pee in the same spot outside is a good idea. Less "land mines" when the dog gets older.
>>
>>2002100

wut I didn't say anything about piss pads and don't hit your dog.
>>
>>2002056
>using pee pads

you're making it worse
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.