[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does anyone know what type of animal this is, having to prove
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: images.jpg (21 KB, 312x294) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
21 KB, 312x294
does anyone know what type of animal this is, having to prove my friend wrong who thinks it's a moose.
>>
It's probably Alces alces, also known in various languages as älg, Elch, elk, alko, alce, altze, elg, elgur, elki, alnis, elan, alsi, etc.
>>
>>2000507
Wait. Moose and elk aren't the same thing?
>>
>>2000512

Depends entirely on where you live. North Americans call a cousin of red deer "elk" for whatever reason.
>>
It's a moose. You can tell because of the big fucking jew nose.
>>
>>2000507
>>2000520

haha.

eurasian elk is just a subspecies of moose.

when you say elk, and google elk, people think the kind of elk americans have.
>>
>>2000530
>people think the kind of elk americans have.

Uh. I'm not sure why you think that. People who live in or around the natural range of Alces outside of North America either call it some variation of "elk" or are at least likely to be familiar with a language that calls it that is likely to think of Alces when you say "elk". As for the rest, people outside of the Americas generally have little to no reason to know or remember that Cervus canadensis is a thing, much less that it's a thing that some people call "elk". They don't go around googling for elk very often either. My guess is that when people with little exposure to animals from northern Eurasia or North America are asked what an "elk" is, they're going to describe it with just about enough traits to pin it down as a large-ish ungulate with horns.

Also,

>eurasian elk is just a subspecies of moose.

Generally, the terms "elk" and "moose" both refer to the entire genus, not different species or subspecies. Less commonly, people do call the Eurasian Alces "elk" and North American Alces "moose" but these people don't seem to necessarily agree with you on elk being a subspecies of moose.

"Taxonomic Notes: Although Wilson and Reeder (2005) recognized Eurasian Elk (Alces alces) and Moose (Alces americanus) as distinct species, there is still some debate surrounding whether Moose is a true species or subspecies."

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/818/0

>>2000512

That was supposed to be the joke -- that they are -- but now I'm not so sure.
>>
>>2000546
>Less commonly, people do call the Eurasian Alces "elk" and North American Alces "moose" but these people don't seem to necessarily agree with you on elk being a subspecies of moose.

nigga what are you talking about?

alces alces is moose. alces americanus is moose.

Cervus canadensis is elk.
>>
>>2000547

Maybe you didn't read the entire thread. What you just said mostly applies to North America -- in other English-speaking countries, many non-English speaking countries too, elk is Alces and Cervus canadensis is something else, often wapiti.

What >>2000530 seemed to say, then, was that it's widely accepted that "elk" refers to Cervus canadensis because as we all supposedly know, the Eurasian Alces that's called "elk" is "just" a subspecies of the North American Alces, "moose".
>>
It's a unicorn.
>>
File: boxxy-trollin.jpg (21 KB, 467x337) Image search: [Google]
boxxy-trollin.jpg
21 KB, 467x337
>>2000499
Google image search says moose.
You did a search for moose.
You chose a pic of a moose.
You're trying to say it's anything other than a moose.

You's trolling.
>>
>>2000558
> it's widely accepted that "elk" refers to Cervus canadensis because as we all supposedly know, the Eurasian Alces that's called "elk" is "just" a subspecies of the North American Alces, "moose".
anyone that doesn't have sawdust for brains knows that common names are virtually useless in taxonomy.

moose and elks are both species of deer, now fuck off, you're all wrong.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.