[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reef
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 31
File: 20151107_151548.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151107_151548.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
This is my first post that's not on /b/, I have no clue what to expect from the other boards of 4chan.

Anyway here's one of my reef tanks
Anyone else here got em?
>>
>>1993998
nice.
what size? what lighting?

how's that DSB working for you?
>>
>>1994000
Nice trips

90 gallon (pre drilled) with an eshopps r-100 and an aquamedic acone 1.0 Evo

The lights I have are intellisun ceruleans, kinda an older LED option, not commonly used. I have two 165 watt fixtures.

Up until I got my sea grass wrasse, the sand bed was doing wonders for me. But he sleeps in the sand and stirs it all up, so not a whole lot of biologic filtration coming from that anymore.
>>
lulz
>>
>>1993998
Not on this board. There are like 2 people with reef tanks here. Everyone else has shrimp and memeballs.
>>
>>1994102
Damn that sucks, if only.
>>
>>1994115
Don't listen to that asshole, we have an aquarium general, and (for /an/) we do get frequent saltwater set up posts in it. The problem is that /an/ is one of the slowest boards there are. So when we do get reef tank owners posting frequently it's trolls shit talking because they are butthurt that /an/ isn't a super fast board full of saltwater masters.

Hell, there's a regular poster in the aq gen (once again, he is a regular poster for /an/) who is constantly searching local fish shops in hopes of stumbling across a bobbit worm he can keep in it's own reef tank. It's a damn shame they wreck shit up and are nocturnal, they are beautiful (if horrifying) creatures.

Browse the aquarium general on a regular basis, the other salt water anons will pop in to say hi eventually then you can get a lively conversation going.

And you'd be surprised how many currently freshwater anons used to have reef tanks but circumstances forced them to dismantle and sell. So even if they don't have a saltwater set up right now, you can still talk shop with them.
>>
File: rsz_20150927_212502.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20150927_212502.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
I maintain one for a living. A 6000 gallon one to be exact. It's really more of a pool at that scale skill wise. I have to scuba/hooka regulator dive to clean it and move/frag corals.
>>
File: IMG_0040.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0040.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>1994122
Tbh I think it's kinda pointless to look for one. There are actually some really cool

>>1994127
Ment to say picture is my modest 110galon tank. It been almost 1/2 year now. I want to put in some ozone and UV plumbed in.

Anyway underwater photos of my livestock
>>
>>1994131
>>1994127
I fucking love your posts, man, every time I see that little tombstone I get this childish kick of pure joy.

How's that snail thingy with the choral growing out of it's shell doing?
>>
File: IMG_0029.jpg (788 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0029.jpg
788 KB, 2048x1536
>>1994134
He's doing fine coral on him is growing but so is hair algae. I haven't seen any outbreaks of it in the tank just o his shell.

Anyway the story with the tomb stone is that I took in a huge giant clam that had been poisoned acidently by copper from another client. I attempted to save it and I failed. My GF put a tombstone from petsmart their as a reminder to my failure. Sucks too that clam was over a decade old.
>>
>>1994127
I'm so tired of this blue pollution shit. Why can nobody ever display their reefs with natural spectrum light? It just makes me think every reefkeeper is a pothead wanting to shine blacklights on their tanks. Then they all buy the most glow in the dark fucking mismatched corals they can to make it even more dreadful. Real coral reefs are beautiful. There's a reason so many people refer to reef tanks as clown vomit.
>>
File: rsz_20151107_220913.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151107_220913.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>1994143
Is this better?
>>
>>1994143
blue light is the only type used by corals.
one of the effects of this is that corals glow under blue light.

you literally require blue lights to keep your corals alive.

sorry.
>>
>>1994151
Stop being a retarded pleb faggot. If you use full spectrum light anything approaching the intensity of actual sunlight, even SPS corals will get what they need.

>Hurr the sun is blue
Why is literally every aquarist an idiot?
>>
>>1994153
>If you use full spectrum light anything approaching the intensity of actual sunlight, even SPS corals will get what they need.
false.
feel free to try it though.
>>
File: rsz_20151107_221408.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151107_221408.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>1994151
Well he is right about one thing. Under a CAMERA a white leaning light is far better then running 20k or actnics.
>>
>>1994158
Yeah, that doesn't look bad.
I run full spectrum LED's on my tank, but they're 50% actinic and 5% UV.

Anything that will grow corals is going to look pretty blue.
>>
>>1994158
Everyone knows the pros go green
>>
File: rsz_20151107_222925.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151107_222925.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>1994168
Forogopic
>>
>>1994155
>The sun doesn't produce adequate light for SPS coral growth because it's not blue
Kill yourself.
>>
>>1994175
I think he meant that full spectrum artificial lights can't support healthy coral growth.

Obviously, anything artificial won't compare to the real deal, not unless the individual piece of equipment costs millions of dollars.
>>
>>1994175
incorrect.
there are no commercial lamps that produce the same spectrum and intensity as sunlight, and if there were you'd burn your house down trying to use them.

also most of the corals we grow live deep in the ocean where the light they get is blue and pretty low-intensity. Blasting them with white light just kills them.

go ahead and keep trying with the insults though.
I'm pretty sure you're the genius that's going to revolutionize reefkeeping. Everyone else is just idiots that don't realize sunlight is all nature uses.
>>
>>1994178
There isn't anything that can obviously compare to the big yellow ball of plasma in the sky.

Whas important is the intensity and spectrum of the light and most important the PAR which is the actual measure of light usable by the corals.
>>
>>1994178
>>1994181
>Metal Halides can't grow corals
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>1994182
Do any of you aquarists actually know anything about aquarium equipment? I mean god damn, I've been out of the hobby for about a decade and there were ways to approximate full sun in white light THEN.
>>
>>1994188
>metal halides are never used with fluorescent or LED actinics to make up the blue spectrum they lack.
>>
>>1994175

>I don't know how to science
>>
>>1994189
>there were ways to approximate full sun in white light THEN
there still are.
those ways require using additional blue lights. Oh, and filtering out all the red and green spectrum that corals don't use but algae do.

so basically nobody actually wants full sunlight in their tank. It looks nice but kills corals and feeds algae.
>>
>>1994189
You do realize that corals do not float around on the surface of the ocean in full contact of direct sunlight, right?
>>
>>1994189
I'm not clear what you mean but there's no possible way to replicate the sun nor is it nessary if that's what you mean. Terms like "Full Sun" aren't really helpfull becuase they don't tell you what spectrum, wattage and PAR that light is.

You must be thinking about lighting temperatures between 10k, 18k, 20k and 60k like with Metal Halides lights and now leds replicating that.

It's really is more to personal preference and you can grow corals in 10k light but it looks like piss water yellow and the corals tend to brown up more. Most people I know go with 18k or 20k.
>>
>>1994151
Plants only use blue and red light, but people don't use purple lights for planted tanks.
Adding more light in different wavelengths to even out the color and make the tank more visually appealing isn't going to somehow make the blue light less intense.
>>
>>1994199
>people don't use purple lights for planted tanks.
red is usual.
reef tanks look blue, planted tanks look red.
>Adding more light in different wavelengths to even out the color and make the tank more visually appealing isn't going to somehow make the blue light less intense
if you're adding red or green you're just feeding algae and bacteria. we don't want that.

if you're adding white, you'd have to blast the tank with tons of white to cover up all that blue. You're welcome to do it if you like, but it's not necessary and the tank is still going to look blue anyways.
>>
>>1994199

>visually appealing
>in your opinion
>>
>>1994202
>planted tanks look red
What planted tanks are you looking at?
>>
File: grow lamp spectrum.png (17 KB, 450x203) Image search: [Google]
grow lamp spectrum.png
17 KB, 450x203
>>1994208
Look kiddo, I don't have all day to teach you about lighting. I also assume you're the insulting little snot that was arguing itt before like he knew anything about the subject.

go read a book. It's not my job to teach you. And until you learn to ask nicely I don't see the point.
>>
>>1994181
>full spectrum lights burn your house down
wat
>>
>>1994218
full intensity, not full spectrum
>>
>>1994220
No-one was talking about full intensity though, this is about spectrum.
>>
>>1994226
so anon's argument is that you can grow corals if you match spectrum exactly but not intensity?

like a full spectrum nightlight will grow corals? a flashlight maybe?

the only reason we use blue spectrum is because we can't create enough full-spectrum intensity.

and if we could, it'd burn your house down.
>>
>>1994211
That feel when Radion LED master race so I don't have to deal with this shit. I know metal halides are still a workhorse light for the money but I rather not burn my house down or create a radio jammed zone with the ballasts.
>>
>>1994233
I think LED's are cheaper to buy, operate, cool and replace.

I don't know of many people setting up new systems with halides anymore.
>>
>>1994194
>I don't know what a reef crest is
Seriously, you people are fucking retarded.

>>1994191
>>1994193
I've always remained suspicious of claims that blue phosphor low-wattage fluorescent lights somehow magically produce enough light to keep SPS corals alive, but that Metal Halides or something is still required. And nobody I've seen post on /an/ has ever had decent lighting in their reef tanks. It just looks like all you're using is actinics. Looks like shit.

>>1994197
You're completely full of shit AND stupid. You can rather easily replicate the intensity of full sun lighting. If you couldn't it would be literally impossible to grow SPS corals or full sun plants under artificial lighting. Holy shit the autism.

>Another dumbass who thinks color temperature is the same thing as light intensity
Jesus just die.

>>1994202
>if you're adding red or green you're just feeding algae and bacteria. we don't want that.
That's why you actually understand water chemistry, have adequate filtration and don't stock like a god damned idiot.

>>1994204
In everyone's opinion, moron. People prefer natural lighting just about 100% of the time.

>>1994211
Yeah, because you know shit about it.

Literally every pet owner is a retard. This is why I strongly believe pet ownership should be outlawed except for by licensed professionals. All pet owners do is spread pet species to areas they're not native and abuse animals with shitty conditions.
>>
>>1994238
>everyone is stupid
>I'm the only smart one

like I said, you're welcome to grow your corals with full spectrum lighting.

others will grow them faster and better with actinics.
>>
>>1994238
>If you couldn't it would be literally impossible to grow SPS corals or full sun plants under artificial lighting
only if you pretend SPS require full spectrums.

they don't, by the way.
they require blue and UV and that's about it. That's why you can grow them under artificial lights. Because 99% of the spectrum you're using is wasted. So you can concentrate on the 1% it needs.

that would be blue.
>>
>>1994241
The proof is in the pudding.

>like I said, you're welcome to grow your corals with full spectrum lighting.
You mean like literally everyone has always done. You can't grow SPS with just fucking actinics. That's why nobody does.

>>1994243
>only if you pretend SPS require full spectrums.
We're not talking about spectrum, you dumb faggot. Unless some new revolutionary tech has come along by which people are growing SPS corals with solely blue actinic fluorescent tubes, then more intense lighting is still required. At this point I'm wondering if any of you idiots even know what an SPS coral is.

>Because 99% of the spectrum you're using is wasted
It's not wasted at all. It balances the color spectrum visually and makes your tank look like a fucking reef rather than retarded black light poster of some teenage pothead.
>>
>>1994247
>Unless some new revolutionary tech has come along by which people are growing SPS corals with solely blue actinic fluorescent tubes
it's called LED's you should check them out.

I think they showed up about 15 years ago.
>>
>>1994202
Aren't you feeding algae inside the coral to begin with? Are they fundamentally different from nuisance algae? Are reef keepers not in the habit of keeping macros that would compete with the algae?

>>1994204
In the opinion of anyone who prefers a habitat to look white rather than blue. And if this were a simple matter of opinion, the reefers would just say "I like it blue back the fuck off."
Do you ever have anything productive to contribute? Ever?

>>1994211
I thought we were here to discuss reef aquariums. Am I not being polite?

>pic
Grow lights are for marijuana, not planted tanks. Nobody uses them because they look bad.
>>
File: nano.jpg (390 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
nano.jpg
390 KB, 600x800
2.6 gallon reporting in!
Sorry for rotten pototo quality picture:(
>>
>>1994258
>Are they fundamentally different from nuisance algae?
yes.
zooxanthellae are benthic and deep, they evolved to live off actinic blue light that penetrates to depth.

nuisance algae are planktonic and live near the surface. They thrive on less filtered light, reds mostly.

and while you point out that reef crests are a thing, most corals don't grow on the crest, and the crest is usually under ten to twenty feet of water depending on tides.
>>
Is it difficult to keep hermit crabs in smaller aquariums? I want a 20g long full of macroalgae and hermits.
>>
>>1994273
no, they're easier to keep than macroalgae.

just use a good reef supplement to maintain iodine and calc or do lots of water changes.
>>
>>1994153
Water absorbs red lights first, so usually only blue and green lights reach the organisms that use this light. This is also why red is a common 'camouflage' color, because red light cant reach very deep into the water column.
>>
>>1994158
I like this color.
>>
>>1994258

Not really?

Are you done being a whiny little fuck?
>>
>>1993998
Newfag detected.
>>
>>1994295
it's kinda refreshing to see an aquarium thread outside of the general.

and it's not like we can't use some new blood. If OP is still around. He probably left when he saw how slow the board is though.
>>
>>1994259
I just wanted to say I think your tank is stunning.

it obviously took a lot of work and has been running successfully for a long time. Nice job. I wish I had something half as nice.
>>
>>1994303
Wow, that is very nice of you! It is running 1 year and seven months. I am very happy with it. Saltwater life is very fascinating! Cheers me up, when I feel down.
>>
>>1994314
are you supplementing calcium or just doing water changes?

you're getting some really good growth for a tiny tank. Hell, it's really good growth for a tank 40 times that size.
>>
File: 20151108_081457.jpg (729 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20151108_081457.jpg
729 KB, 1600x1200
>>1994316
both. 10% weekly, if i'm not lazy.
Daily 5 drops of alc, every other day a little bit of cal and sometimes mag. Every second week I check whe water. No problems so far. :)
>>
>>1994262
>reef crests
Two different people. I'm actually aware of how blue the ocean is. Thanks for responding.
>>
File: b5.jpg (4 MB, 4608x3456) Image search: [Google]
b5.jpg
4 MB, 4608x3456
>>1994348
>I'm actually aware of how blue the ocean is.
Yep, it's surprisingly blue, even in the shallows.
>>
>>1994236
Some people do it out of habit and their systems have been on it for years.

Also the options for industrial large tanks/public aquarium lighting as far as LED goes isn't mature enough yet.

>>1994238

>You're completely full of shit AND stupid. You can rather easily replicate the intensity of full sun lighting. If you couldn't it would be literally impossible to grow SPS corals or full sun plants under artificial lighting. Holy shit the autism.

Some one is mad but when you say it's easy to replicate the sun it's really hard to take you seriously. I know what you mean when you say full sun lighting and I'm not talking color temprature or spectrum. Then lights that run on my clients tank is 4,000 watt 60k metalhalides and yet still thats not "Full sun" allthough it does put out less blue that's noticeble.

The other thing I want to mention the reason everyone's tanks on /an/ look blue washed has nothing to do with the lights themselves but rather the effect the lights have on the camera. For thus reason if you take a photo of a tank it's best to do it under white or a slight yellow.
>>
>>1994143
My red Sea max-s 500 came with natural (t5ho) lighting. It bleached fucking everything. My green slimer turned into a yellow slimer. Just replaced lighting with Kessil ap700. Worth
>>
>>1994131
I had a tridacna a while back, then pyramid snails invaded my tank. RIP David
>>
>>1994149
I kek'd
What lights are you using?
>>
>>1994259
I love it, I'm gonna start a jbj picotope soon and I want it to look this good
>>
>>1994351
Yup, the sunlight is filtered through the water. Even though a spectrum closed to 12000 Kelvins is better for coral growth, their colors pop far more under 25000 Kelvins.
>>
File: 20151108_182224.jpg (755 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20151108_182224.jpg
755 KB, 1600x1200
>>1994554
Awesome! I hope to see your tank in the future.
>>
Has anyone here used PJ reefs?
>>
File: rsz_20151108_100256.jpg (2 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
rsz_20151108_100256.jpg
2 MB, 5312x2988
>>1994553
EcoTech Radions Gen 3
>>
So I'm only allowed to have a 10 gallon tank where I live and I really like the idea of setting up a reef tank, even if it's only invertebrates. Can you guys afford any advice? I'm not really concerned too much about startup costs or maintenance.
>>
>>1994768
Only a 10gallons tank? Where do you live an apartment?

My building tired pulling some bullshit that I needed to pay a pet fee for every fish and animal in my aquarium. I told them they need to also count eveevery polyp of coral since technically they are a separate organisms. Obviously I didn't pay a $500 pet fee for all my fish.
>>
>>1994771
>Where do you live an apartment?
Yeah. There's no deposit or anything they just don't allow anything that won't fit in a 10 gallon or smaller tank. I could probably pull a fast one with a 15 long but I don't think that'll do me much good anyway haha.
>>
>>1994768
I'd love to help out, what are your main questions?
>>
>>1994780
Oh yeah I see, I wouldn't do a 10 gallon salt water tank unless you really want to do a biotope like a Pico reef and belive me they are hard to maintain.
I have enough bullshit dealing with a 10 gallon seahorse tank with just two sea horses at my main job site.

There isnt really any secret with keeping a reef tank. You will need however a reverse osmosis de-ionization purifier for your tap to make purified water for seawater mixing or you can buy sea water from a fish/pet store?
If you live by the sea you can get seawater if it's clean and has the right salinity, you will need to filter it with a coffee filter to remove organics and you still need pure fresh water for evaporation loss.

>http://m.marinedepot.com/products/0i10504/innovative-marine-10-gallon-nuvo-fusion-nano-aquarium-premium-starter-kit
These are good tanks and I havent had any complaints with them. This kit is basiclly all you need for a 10 gallon pico. However I would also get the Nuevo skimmer too.

As far as livestock goes you could keep some easy to keep soft corals like zoas, GSPs or LPS corals like candycanes and torches.

I would stick to one or two snails and maybe a peppermint shrimp and a small damsel fish down the line. Keep feedings to a pinch every other day of frozen food.
>>
>>1994808
IMO it's better to build your own tank. You can find some really nice shapes and dimensions of tanks, rimless, bowfront, low iron, and you get to choose a tank that fits what you want. Then you can also pick lighting and filtration. It also gives you more options for where the tank can be placed.
>>
>>1994816
At 10 gallons it really doesn't matter at that scale.

If you told me spending $600 for just a 110 gallon tank and stand vs $2,000 for an all in one tank with lights, skimmer, pumps, filter and everything else included I would agree that I would be better of just doing it myself.
>>
>>1994803
Mainly suggestions for equipment and what the maintenance schedule should be like. Would I need some kind of calcium supplement, or would water changes need to be so frequent that it's unnecessary? Is 10% once or twice a week frequent enough for water changes? I'm not sure how much I could/should change at once without shocking the tank.

>>1994808
Thanks for the suggestion. Half the light being 10000K isn't an issue? I've read somewhere that skimmers are a waste of time on really small tanks like that.
>>
>>1994846
It depends what coral you want, if you have SPS (or some LPS) then you'll need calcium supplements. Skimmers are a pain in the ass on tanks this small, and they do practically nothing in such a small tank. You could do one of the Finnex hang-on-tank refugiums, they're pretty nice and cost effective.

I'd recommend an AI prime or just trulumen led pro strips for lighting. A Kessil aw180 might be a good option as well.

Seachem's product Matrix would be best for bacterial nitrification, use that with seachem's purigen (which is basically a protein skimmer, in filter media form) and the refugium and your filter system will be complete.

What coral are you looking at getting?
>>
File: _IGP3713.jpg (1 MB, 1814x2710) Image search: [Google]
_IGP3713.jpg
1 MB, 1814x2710
my 4,2 gallon tank:

cube: 20l, dennerle
light: 7w led, aquasunspot aquamedic
pump: 600 l/hr, aquasyncro HWM 2000
heater: 20w Eheim, Jäger
salt: tropic marin sea salt
higher animals: 3x Thor amboinensis, 1x Clibanarius laevimanus
>>
Wow, awesome! The bubble tip anemone kooks great. Are you from germany?
>>
>>1994846
The efficiency of a small skimmer isn't as great as a skimmer for a larger tank but its better then nothing. More so then organics removal you are also adding oxygenation.
>>
File: _IGP3724.jpg (1 MB, 2710x1814) Image search: [Google]
_IGP3724.jpg
1 MB, 2710x1814
>>1995087
Thank you sir!
Yes, i am.
There are actually two anemones next to each other. One day they will take over the tank.
Its nice to see the shrimps living in them.
>>
File: 20150712_174500.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20150712_174500.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>1995106
Cool! I live in Paderborn/Lippstadt.
Interesting! Didn't know they could host bigger anemones.
>>
>>1995151
Jo, i live near Flensburg.

Didn't know either; i got it from a friend because it was dying and lost its algae.
I think their growth is limited to light and space.
They are also attached to the back wall. I think they'd be bigger if they lived in the reef directly under the spot.

Is yours the pico reef?
I like it!
How old is it?
>>
>>1995159
The bubble tip looks very healthy. You took very good care of it.
Yes, I'm the one with the 10l pico.
I'm glad you like it.
It's 1 year, 7 months old.
>>
>>1994882
This sounds cheap ass but I make my own 2 part with bulk DOW brand calcium chloride flakes and 3M soda ash.

There's a recipe for mixing it (Google randy recipe) but I just play it by ear and test to what I need.
The other thing I want to say people are afraid to dose acids like white vinagar. I do it because it creates free calcium ions and feeds my bio filter bacteria.
>>
File: IMG_0103.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0103.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
I had a 60gal running for nearly 6 years. Took it down because I wanted to finish my degree and not have to worry about it anymore. Had a pair of True Perculas that spawned on a regular basis, a pair of Squarespot Anthias, an Ebli Angel, and some green Chromis. The youngest where the Anthias and they where 4 when I took down the tank and sold them. I miss all those fish.
>>
File: Dashboard.jpg (384 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dashboard.jpg
384 KB, 1920x1080
>>1995332
nice you got the Ecotech Vortechs I see.

For those who are interested you can see my apex controller in real time and the program I made for it. Its pretty cool to have all this automation and monitoring for aquariums.

>http://www.reeftronics.net/Va/vayeate/apex-status
>>
File: IMG_0056.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0056.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>1995422
It's crazy how much flow that one pump can make. An MP40 was enough to give all the flow I needed in 60 gallons. It's one of the first models that had the pre-programmed modes so I kept it in reef-swell. Too much flow sometimes I never kept it on full blast. The Euphyllia and the Buble tip didn't like max flow. This aquarium was my second generation of tank. I started in highschool with barely any money to keep a reef. This one was when I was in college with a job and could buy more toys for it. I plan my next one to have lots of automation and data logging for keeping parameters. I still have my gear from the 60 but I cracked the tank during a move. I might go for 90 in the next go-round.
>>
>>1995422
dude ur leaks are open according to that dashboard and lol at the camera window.
>>
File: IMG_0055.jpg (1 MB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0055.jpg
1 MB, 1536x2048
>>1995428
Shot of the female squarespot
>>
File: 0520081932a.jpg (221 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
0520081932a.jpg
221 KB, 1280x960
>>1995432
This is a picture of the bubble-tip during the year it decided it didn't want to be bubbly. It eventually got over it.
>>
File: Image026.jpg (39 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Image026.jpg
39 KB, 640x480
>>1995434

Here is a shot that has to be only a couple days after I bought the bubble-tip and the first percula. I didn't get her mate until a few months later.
>>
>>1995435
Beautiful! All of them. I wish I had the money and space for a bigger tank.
>>
>>1995439
My favorite fish where the clown pair because of how cute they could be. They didn't have as big of a "wow" factor to people though, not like the anthias. Everybody would be like "oh hey you got nemos that is...HOLY SHIT THAT THING IS NEON PINK AND ORANGE YOU MEAN THOSE ARE REAL?"
>>
Saltwater fish don't need such big tank just put salt in tap water and wala
>>
>>1995441
:D At least your guests don't ask when the shrimps are "big enough to eat"
>>
>>1995431
Those are I/O physical switches which are basically leak sensors when they come in contact with water. Closed would mean they are in contact with water.
>>1995456
Some ignorant people actual just put clown fish in 5 gallons of water with just table salt and expect them to survive.
>>
>>1995463
>why no aquarium shop ever will guarantee saltwater fish
>>
>bubble tip anemone
Good lord it's like an Oglaf comic.
>>
>>1995061
Nice man, I love aquamedic, in fact I had one of the first 4 acone Evo 1.0 protein skimmers that was in America when it came out
>>
>>1995491
Actually I work in a fish store that does guarantee saltwater fish
>>
File: Collages1.jpg (215 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
Collages1.jpg
215 KB, 680x510
>>1994259
Hi, I was in the /aq/ thread asking questions but I'll repost since I see a nano here.

How exactly did you accomplish this? Is there a site you went to to check off what you needed? What about fish recs? I want to try a saltwater nano but not at the expensive of my fish/corals. I want ones that would be okay in such a small space.
>>
>>1995613
*expense not expensive

I arleady know it's going to be expensive, haha.
>>
File: 20151110_184627.jpg (920 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20151110_184627.jpg
920 KB, 1600x1200
>>1995613
I red a lot and informed myself. Someone had actually done this combination and it worked, so I copied it. But if you want to keep it alive in the long term, you have to be consequent with water changes and dosing. It's the basic stuff, but many fail at this and quit the hobby.

Fish depends on the tank size. What size do you have in mind? Corals fit in nearly every tank, especially as a little frag. If they grow too big, you frag them and trade them for other corals. That's how I've done it.
I'm not from the usa, but if you give me info of what you want, I try to help.
>>
>>1995613
>>1995662
Keeping a small tank over a larger tank will always be harder there really is no way around that. That being said as far as dosing on a nano I never bothered with mine and thats only becuase I did a WC every week and used reef salt with high levels of Ca and alk with the exception of magnesium and trace elements for coral color every now and then.
>>
>>1995662
I have three 5-gals right now. I do WC every week, don't overstock or overfeed and they have all done well, so I'm aware of how to keep a small tank on the freshwater side.

I would like to keep fish ideally but if inverts do better in smaller spaces, I would go for them too.

>>1995897
I heard skimmers are kind of useless in a small tank, what is there in its place?
>>
>>1996363
>what is there in its place?
water changes and extremely tight food rationing.
>>
>>1996366
I'd say in general the bacteria inside the liverock will provide nitrification and denitrification.

yeah too much food can be a problem.
A friend of mine keeps 4 gobys and 3 shrimps in a 25l tank without a skimmer for maybe 5 or 6 six years now. She does not keep sps, but lps look great. One time there were problems with cyano bacteria though.
>>
>>1996363
You could keep some eviota or trimma gobys or a yellow clown goby. Check your water parameters and decide if you need a skimmer. In germany many people put their nano skimmers inside a hang-on filter.
>>
File: File_001-1.jpg (1006 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
File_001-1.jpg
1006 KB, 3264x2448
>>1996363
>I heard skimmers are kind of useless in a small tank, what is there in its place?

I wouldn't say they are useless but basically a skimmer in layman's terms sucks up fish poop/organic waste in the water and as a byproduct. How is does that is basiclly the same effect surf creates sea foam on the shore. The skimmer injects tiny bubbles into the water which "sticks" to waste and rises and is collected on the top of the skimmer to be disposed. Obviously a larger skimmer with more water volume will have greater efficiency simply becuase there's more water.
However I would get a skimmer simply becuase skimmers have the added Benifit of adding ALOT of oxygen in the water column and basiclly it doesn't hurt to have one.

I use a Tunze 9002 nano skimmer and honestly they are pretty effective.

As what you can do in its place, basiclly what you should always be doing regardless of a skimmer and that doing 30% water changes every week
>>
>>1996376
>I'd say in general the bacteria inside the liverock will provide nitrification and denitrification
sure, as long as you don't have any fish in there.
>>
>>1996397
I hate hob anything or overflows requiring a siphoned overflow. They will always lose siphon or prime every time and flood your house.
>>
>>1997008
I've been running a siphoned overflow box on my 60g for ten years straight. Hundreds of power outages and times when I just shut the return pump off for maintenance.

it's never lost siphon or flooded the house. It restarts on its own every time. The only way you could get it to lose siphon is to shut off the return pump for two weeks so evaporation drops the water level in the box below the end of the siphon tube.
>>
>>1997009
I still would never trust them. All it takes is some air or a snail breaking the siphoned and you have a sumps worth of water on the floor
>>
>>1997011
you'd have a hard time getting air in the pipe.

a snail or anemone might block it, but that's true of any kind of overflow with a single standpipe.

I don't really worry about it because I have a janitorial and restoration company. If I flood the floor I'll just vacuum it up and dry it out. The only real flood I've had came from a cracked tank though, not a bad overflow. I put over 1000 gallons of saltwater on my basement floor. It didn't take long to clean up because most of it ran through the floor and under the house. Just had to rinse and dry the carpets.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
I've said it before and I'll say it again, /an/ water gardens. /an/ doesnt reef.

That's why you end up with a bunch of people who don't know whit about Reefing, or the science behind it, criticizing.

As mentioned before, the intensity of blue lights overpowers cameras, but not your eye. Unfortunately most phone cameras don't have an adequate white balance to handle this. Apps like pro camera for iOS can take care of this to a major degree. The pic shows the difference. The blue mound cresting over the phone is the same coral on the phone.

Now yoy can go back to discussing your java moss
>>
>>1997389
> /an/ water gardens
/an/ sucks at gardens.

all they do is throw some impossible to kill plants together with shrimp and pray for the best because they're too poor for reef tanks.
>>
>>1997398
Oh look, bugguy being a condencending prick again.
>>
>>1994238
>Literally every pet owner is a retard. This is why I strongly believe pet ownership should be outlawed except for by licensed professionals. All pet owners do is spread pet species to areas they're not native and abuse animals with shitty conditions
>Oh you
>>
>>1997389
What app are you using if I may ask?

That feel when I need to do a water change but too lazy to do it.
>>
>>1997402
shouldn't you be checking your ph to make sure your watermilfoil doesn't die?
>>
>>1997398
Well that's pretty much what a good starter planted tank should be.

The same goes for a reef tank. I would start with easy to keep LPS and soft corals like acans, Brains and leather corals.
>>
File: bugs.jpg (144 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
bugs.jpg
144 KB, 500x333
>>1997473
these aren't their starter tanks.
>>
>>1997473
Hey question so I'm not interested in getting fish honestly I just like corals as in I just want to propagate them and sell them. Do I need fish to keep corals or will they be alright by themselves?
>>
>>1997477
Nah you don't need fish to keep corals however its kinda rare that people would keep just corals.

People who have reef tanks will often set up a separate "frag" tank for propagating their "trimmings" of coral. People will say you should have a source of input for nutrients (aka a fish) for the corals but honestly it really makes no difference. Corals will do fine and grow so long as they have good lighting, good flow and water that's stable with calcium and alkalinity (calcium carbonate) and low in nutrients. Most of time you will be wrestling with high nutrients then low anyway.

In some "ultra low nutrient" reef tanks which use some kinda bacterial means of nutrient sequestration (like zeolites, Ethanol/vingar dosing) corals particularly SPS corals will pale up or lose color and you have to add amino acids to meet that demand but its not lethal to the coral.
>>
File: image.png (488 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
488 KB, 640x1136
>>1997461
Pro camera for the iPhone. I'm sure droids have something comparable but I don't know what it is.
>>
>>1997477
No you don't but it's better if you do.
>>
>>1997809
What settings you use to take photos in light less then >450nm?
>>
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 3264x1836
>>1997829
If you're going to shoot that blue on a cell phone you need an orange gel filter as well as shifting the white balance to full yellow.
>>
>>1997389
I'm pretty sure that nobody on any board of 4chan does anything
>>
File: yella.jpg (233 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
yella.jpg
233 KB, 1920x1080
Bought this yellow gig the other day. 15cm wide. Goddamn gorgeous, i just need to get some clowns into it
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.