[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/dog/ - Dog General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17
File: Golden-Retriever.jpg (65 KB, 351x342) Image search: [Google]
Golden-Retriever.jpg
65 KB, 351x342
Ask dog questions that doesn't deserve its own thread here.
>>
where in the front part of a dog do I kick it so that it'll fuck off and stop trying to bite me?
>>
what are dogs exactly? are they a type of bear? because sometimes they look like horses too so I'm not sure which kind of thing they are?
>>
>>1992927
dogs are just dogs man. they're like bears but they're also like seals and weasels. they're not much like bats but they're like raccoons.
>>
>>1992925
Slap it on the nose.
>>
>>1992938
what, with my hands? fuck that noise. I don't wear boots on my hands. also my hands are full.
>>
My dogs fat.
>>
>>1992927
Tachniqually they are a subspecies of wolf
>>
why does my pitbull smell so fucking good? it smells roses
>>
>>1992960
probably diabetic
>>
File: zak-george-470.jpg (38 KB, 470x360) Image search: [Google]
zak-george-470.jpg
38 KB, 470x360
Is Zak George a trustworthy source of advice for dog training?
>>
How often do you bathe your dog if it lives indoors? People say once a month but what the fuck, dog's shit sticks to it's fur, it runs around in the backyard and gets all dirty and shit, yet you guys are cool with him/her going all over your furniture?

Is it cool to wash my dog once a week if i use moisturising soap?
>>
>>1992989
>you guys are cool with him/her going all over your furniture?
>letting your dogs on your furniture

is this what poor people do or something?
so weird.
>>
>>1992992
Are you one of those people that never lets their dogs inside the house?
>>
>>1992960
My puppy smells of perfume. Can't figure where/who it comes from.
>>
>>1992998
no, I just never let them up on my furniture.
most unhygienic.
my dogs live in the front room. they aren't allowed to roam the house.
>>
>>1992989
Like every 1,5 months or so. Bathing them more can lead to dry skin, causing scratching causing bruises etc. Btw they have an awesome self-cleaning mechanism or whatnot, even if my outdoor dog gets muddy to its ears, a half an hour out of the mud he is clean as ever
>>
>>1992992
>not sleeping with your dog
Why even bother keeping a dog lel
>>
>>1993013
my wife usually smells better than the dogs.
usually.
>>
>>1992992
>2015
>not throwing your furniture away when it gets dirty from dog being on it
>>
>>1993015
A nice steak smells better than my wife, it still doesnt mean that my wife can't sleep with me
>>
>>1992989
I bathe my dog as needed. Only when he gets really dirty or starts to smell. And yeah I allow him on the furniture
>>
>>1993016
furniture costs slightly more than the dogs.
>>1993018
you might be gay.
>>
>>1993020
Pleb, with pleb dogs detected
>>
>>1993021
like most rich people I'm very... frugal.

my dogs cost $500 each and are just as good as $5000 dogs, maybe even better. The furniture is top dollar.
>>
>>1993022
>being cheap on living companions
Yeah, right, don't stop trying to convince yourself that you are not a shitty owner
>>
>>1993024
I didn't say I wasn't a shitty owner. That's pretty subjective.

I said my dogs cost slightly less than my furniture. That's a fact.
>>
>>1993026
Why even keep dogs if you know you are a shitty owner. Seriously these people
>>
>>1993027
I didn't say I am a shitty owner.

again, that's pretty subjective. I merely commented on the financial qualities of my ownership, nothing more.

and if we measure ownership quality by the cost of the pet or the furniture I've almost certainly got you beat. I doubt you've had that much money in your hand at one time.
>>
Is it unethical to get a puppy from a breeder when there are older dogs waiting to be adopted in the shelter?
>>
>>1993057
that's a question only you can answer. ethics are a personal expression of your own priorities. We can't tell you what matters most to you.
>>
I brush my dog when she has dried on dirt, it comes off and she's fluffy again, if she's gone through a shittty puddle and it's discoloured her white fur I'll shower her with warm water only until it runs clean. I've seen some good dog shampoos in the market that claim not to dry out the skin or ruin their natural coat protection.
My dog is to heel 90% of the time so I allow her to sit next to me, sleep next to me ect. Only place she isn't allowed is at the table.
I'm old school, British country boy, don't care if my dogs ruin my shit, I should know better than to let them get bored or dirty if I let them live like a family member.
>>
Are there any unfixable behaviours? Or is every dog trainable?
>>
>>1993057
No. If you want a particular dog who's lineage you can confirm it's the only way to go.
If you want a dog with habits, a weaker bond with you and possibly PTSD, get a shelter dog.
Think, what will happen to the puppies From the breeder? They're still dogs out there that need a home, whether they've been through the shelter process or not, they're a dog, in need of a home.
>>
Are dogs/puppies anxious or stressed or something if you keep them leashed around unleashed dogs?
>>
Has anyone trained their dog to do an angry face? I have my dog going either side of me and I between my legs and pointing, but I'd like her to snarl without taking that aggressive behaviour any further. Is this stupid of me? I haven't tried anything yet but I think it would be good if anyone tries to intimidate us.
>>
How can I get my dog to accept my puppy? Any time the puppy comes close to her she'll run away or growl/bark and then run (when she gets cornered)

They'll lie beside each other on the couch when the puppy isn't being rowdy.
>>
Just visited my brother, and his dog gets really exited about visitiors and constantly nudges them or push a ball into them. Sometimes he even starts gnawing at you with the ball if you ignore him. What are we supposed to do?
>>
>>1993057
They could kill all shelter dogs for all i care, it's not on my conscience since i'm not responsible for them being there in the first place. I'm not going to blow out a shit ton of cash on a companion that's already more than half way through their life span, probably has shitty habits, much harder to train and may have unpredictable behaviour.
>>
>>1993107
>I'll shower her with warm water
Would you say it's safe to bathe my dog weekly in just water, no soap? Gotta at least scrub his asshole before letting him in the bed with me kek.
>>
Is adopting a 6 month old dog a good idea? Isn't it a little too old to get used to us?
>>
>>1993142
Yes.
No.
>>
>>1993142
Funny you say that.

On normiebook the other day, this pompous faggot (literally) i went to highschool with posted a photo of his new french bulldog. When all these people were asking him about it, he said, and I quote, "He's 6 months old, so it's great that i don't have to deal with his annoying puppy stage".

Kinda sad because i have the impression he's using the dog as a fashion accessory.
>>
>>1993148
>tfw have under six months puppy.
I envy that guy.
I just want to sleep. And not have to watch over her all day long.
Send help.
>>
>>1993150
>tfw buying a 10 week pupper at the end of the month
Fuck, what am i getting myself into? I know about watching them all day long (keen for end of year break anyway because i'll have all the free time), but not getting any sleep? Pls anon, show me your wisdom.
>>
>>1993148
>i have the impression he's using the dog as a fashion accessory.
Isn't that what all pets are? Unless your dog has a job other than being cute like hunting or herding for you.
>>
>>1993157
Being part of a human family is a full-time job for dogs and cats.
>>
>>1993153
I have a 10 week old puppy atm, she sleeps from about 10-10:30pm until about 5-6am
She's such a little shit in the morning, running about everywhere and being bad.

Guess we're lucky in that she doesn't keep people up all night though.
>>
>>1993157
I'd like to think most owners love their dogs and want something more like companionship, rather than using them for photos that you can post on instagram, and to carry them in your purse while you attend fashion events for the launch of your new makeup brand.
>>
>>1993160
That's actually really motivating. I've been meaning to fix my sleep pattern and start my days earlier around that time. But damn, do puppers really sleep for 7-8 hours?
>>
>>1993160
Mine goes out at 10~10:30 and then sleeps from 11~12 to 5:30, goes back to sleep until 6:30, goes out, sleeps again until 7, eats, sleeps some, lies down, looks out the window or plays with her toys until 8 and then her days starts for good.
I just can't wait for the blessed times she'll have to go out less often.
>>
>>1993160
>>1993164
What breed? I have a feeling my terrier is going to be a lot more hyper
>>
>>1993162
No, they sleep for up to 16. Adults like 12 or so.
Also they don't "sleep for 7-8 hours", they'll sleep 20 minutes, wake up, see it's all calm, fall back asleep for an hour, wake up, stretch their leg, pick a different spot, sleep 40 minutes, wake up, yawn, fall back asleep for an hour, etc.
>>
>>1993166
That's so fucking cute
>>
>>1993165
>>1993164 here, a golden retriever. She calm enough in the morning (still sleepy, I guess), and at home, but she gets hyper as fuck when I go spend the day at grandma's so she can play with her adult golden. It's like I have two different dogs in one.
>>
So due to delivery fuck-ups, I didn't have enough kibble to properly switch my puppy from a brand to another and had to mix too much, too fast (so far she only seems to have somewhat softer stools and farts a lot, hope her tummy doesn't hurt). When I finally get another pack of the old brand tomorrow, do I pick up switching from where I'll be in the mixing then or start from 0? Had to start mixing on wednesday evening.
>>
DOG
>>
i've never owned a dog before but i am suicidally depressed and meds are not working so my therapists and my relatives think it will be good for me to get one as a kind of therapy pet/companion

i like the look of dogs like huskies, alsatians, german shepards and corgis and stuff, they look friendly and loving

dogs like bichon frise's and poodles terrify me and i hate them

my therapist recommended a golden retriever or a border collie but i've never owned a dog so i have no idea what they're like, pls advise
>>
>>1993180
I wouldn't get a border collie. While they are loyal and affectionate, they are very high drive dogs and will probably need more stimulation than you can offer.

As a depressed person, you probably want to look at breeds that are more relaxed/chill. And it doesn't have to be a specific breed. You could look in local shelters for a dog whose temperament matches up with your needs.

Also, it's worth mentioning that yes, in many cases having a pet helps immensely with depression, but in other cases it just becomes another overwhelming thing. Please don't make the choice to get a dog lightly, and fully consider if this is right for you. Please don't get a dog--accepting responsibility for its lifetime--and then end up committing suicide and leaving the dog without an owner.
>>
GUESS THE BREED
>>
>>1993150
You're gonna miss that, man. My dog is 14 months so still kind of a puppy but I already miss that total clingy baby stage
>>
>>1993184
Boxer mix?
>>
>>1993182
My depression stems from a lack of purpose. I don't feel like I have any reason to live. I have no friends, I don't get along well with my family, my job is simple and anyone could replace me. My therapist thinks that having a dog will give me something to do, something to live for. I've been mulling it over for a few months now, seeing if I could afford it, etc. All I need to do is find the right dog.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>1993186
That's what i thought too! Is actually a jack russell/australian terrier mix. They're fucking cute man, first time seeing this mix and only $200
>>
>>1993185
Well, it's a golden. The other golden I know is still clingy as fuck at 3.
And mine has yet to even spend an hour alone, so...
>>
>>1993138
Yeah water is fine, just chemicals that strip away oils and stuff can cause irritation
>>
>>1993142
Under a year is all good for bonding
>>
>>1993153
>What am I getting myself into?
I fathomable joy, but a true responsibility for something else's health and upbringing, be positive, it'll chew everything, shit everywhere, rum about like a lunatic when it has excess energy, just keep on top of it, correct their behaviour, expend their energy in a good way.
>>
>>1993162
Mine does, I run her around have a good play, go for night time poops and pees, then get her calmed down by about 11, asleep by half pas then she's out until about 8, and fucks around waking me up, but will go back to sleep if I don't get out of bed, good pupper.
>>
>>1993180
Completely depends on you. Will sorting your shit out, waking up early and running twice a day do you good? If so get a collie or shepherd. It's important to note however the strenuous effort involved with training a puppy, it's stressful and soul destroying at times, if you couldn't deal with that get a shelter dog.
If you don't want to become a runner or do agility, I don't suggest a collie or gsd, they have way too much energy and intelligence to lay around bored all day.
>>
How do you get your dog to stop bothering you? I'm new to this, but I walk, play and train my dog every day, but when that's done I'd expect it to leave me alone or rest, but he keeps nudging me wanting to play more.
>>
This is my gf's dog.
It's such a dopey clumsy clingy thing, but I love it so much.
No idea which races are in the mix though.
>>
>>1993214
Fug.
Sorry, not used to posting from phone
>>
>>1993153
My puppy was 8 weeks old when we got him. No real sleep for the first week, as he would cry during the night a lot if we were asleep. We took turns with my gf to stay up lol. Then comes the peeing/shitting parts, which is like a roller-coaster, sometimes better, sometimes worse. You have to make sure that the dog gets enough excercise/mental stimulation. Socialize, socialize, socialize. Don't know about your situation, but going on trips or holidays gets a lot harder as well, because most of the places(at least here) is not dog friendly. Not to talk about finding a proper diet. Also, i would get him into a good dog training club. I fucked up on that part as i was intending to go to one club, which told me not to teach the dog anything under 3 months, then as it turned out i didn't like the teaching style there so i had to find another club, which again took valuable time. Also crate train did us wonders in keeping the house in one piece
>>
>>1993011
Frequent bathing is not harmful to the skin or coat as long as you use doggie shampoo.
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 460x460
How do dog whistles work? Is it punishment?
>>
>>1993126
Can anyone help
>>
>>1993242
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle
>>
File: doge.jpg (78 KB, 1101x822) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
78 KB, 1101x822
>>1993165
Border terrier
>>
Will a puppy keep me up at night?
>>
>>1993268
Some you'll still have to take out in the middle of night, some you won't.
>>
Okay guys, i'm apparently getting my puppy a lot sooner than expected (was expecting at the end of this month).

What are some quick essentials i'll need?

Crate, bed and food, that it?
>>
Crate, bed, food, collar, feeding bowl, drinking bowl, leash, treats, few toys
>>
>>1993333
Thanks senpai.

The seller didn't even bother giving the pups their vacs... don't think they're microchipped either.. reckon i shouldn't bother?
>>
>>1993339
Definitely not.
>>
>>1993345
I'll go take a look at them. I'll have to see considering they might end up in a shelter anyways.
>>
I was told today that greyhounds are prone to chewing stuff. Is that true? This was kind anecdotal evidence from former-racing dogs, so I reckon the chewing dogs were antsy and bored as a result of going from racer to housepet.
>>
>>1993346
It's ok if they end up in a shelter. Puppies are adopted quickly.
What you DONT want to do is make it easier on the BYB. Do not adopt one of those puppies. Do not encourage a BYB by taking a pup off their hands.
>>
>>1993376
Let alone pay for byb
>>
>>1993356
Dogs are prone to chew on stuff
>>
>>1993191
Mine is a golden too! He's still basically stuck to me at all times. Like, I can't even take a shower without him sticking his head through the curtain lol. But I meant like the constant demanding of attention. At this point he likes to be present but I don't need to actually interact with him as much
>>
>>1992922
>dog has a little toy of a pig he likes carrying around
>usually does at night
>picks it up and walks around the room while whimpering and moving his tail
>likes digging in our beds and then puts it there

I even try to pet him but he keeps doing it
Is it autism?
>>
>>1993391
Dogs are basically autistic children.
>>
>>1993330
Try get puppy pads, basically half rug half nappy, makes cleaning up unavoidable piss easy. Enzymatic cleaner to avoid them revisiting unsanctioned piss spots. clicker if that's the training route you're taking, there are also slings available to carry them easier when they're in public but not vaccinated. Fucking good chew toy, hard plastic and rubber with rope on it, puppies teeth and fuck shit up. A long leash 3m maybe for much faster toilet training so they're never out of sight.
>>
>>1993356
Like babies dogs teeth so chew loads in their first 3-6 month, also dogs instinctively chew to try and get to the marrow of stuff. Boredom can be a factor but it's pretty unavoidable, thats what toys are for
>>
>>1993392
100% accurate.
>>
SHOULD I GET A SIBERIAN HUSKY?
>>
>>1993439
How far do you run on a daily basis, what is the climate where you live and what dogs have you had before now?
Also shit bait.
>>
How can you feel if a breeder is good or bad?
>>
>>1993445
How much running they require daily?
The temperature is 24°C~27°C (75F~81F) all year.
Still haven't owned any dog, but have lived with four (five if I count from when I was a kid). Owned a cat and a bird (trained them properly).
Thinking about getting a dog because of the possibility of taking him with me to basically anywhere. Sadly Huskies are the only breed that I'm into.
Not baiting.
>>
>>1993376
>>1993382
Pups weren't even his, his girlfriend apparently dumped them on him. I'm sorry guys, i caved in and bought him. The puppers were literally being kept inside a kiddy pool, they were riddled with fleas and wounds, rolling around in their own shit etc. I was so fucking mad. I had to take him away from that piece of shit. Just finished getting rid of all the fleas, I'll post a pic of him in a few hours, i'm going to the store to buy his supplies.
>>
>>1993471
Feel? Only your feelings can tell you that. You can usually tell tho if they're accredited by a kennel club or breeding association, if they're pressuring you to be a good owner weeks in advance (quesrions about your house, garden, crates etc etc) and a good indicator is if they compete in anything like shutzhund, agility or obedience trials.
They should be open for you to come and visit the parents and see the set up after paying a deposits, they should vaccinate, worm and pay the ownership transfer few for you and have a good idea of what brand food you should buy.
Guys that don't give a shit will have little to no interest in what you're planning to do with the pup or how well suited you are for the breed, they won't have papers, they won't tell you about the parents accolades and temperament.
>>
>>1993476
They need a minimum of three miles, they prefer cooler climates than yours and require a lot of effort and skill, I wouldn't suggest one as your first dog. They're well known for breaking free and running and also chasing prey, they're not ideal to have around you everywhere you go.
Having a breed that you're 'into' is never a good thing, you need a breed that suits you of you're gunna own, otherwise just stick to watching videos and shit of them.
>>
>>1993439
Husky's are shit dogs. Why even bother getting a companion that can't even be trusted to be off leash in public?
>>
>>1993480
will they let me run a credit check, inspect their house for suitability of raising dogs, interview their children, ask them for a reference from their vet, and show me 2 years of pay stubs?
>>
>>1993483
Nah but they might lick your asshole before they fuck you faggot
>>
>>1993476
it's fine, go get your dog.

don't ask /an/'s permission to get a pet.
nobody meets their criteria.
>>
Guys please I need help. My family's dog has had abnormal pancreatic enzyme levels, persistent diarrhea, and occasional vomiting lately. Vet has given him several medicines but he keeps getting better for a bit and cycling back to bad. Trying to convince my mother to take him to a different vet but she's stubborn. What could be making him sick? Parasites? Some kind of diabetes mixed with IBS? I don't know anything about dogs.
>>
>>1993477
You should have just called animal control.
In fact, you can still do that.
>>
What do you think about Alaskan Malamute? I like how they look.
>>
>>1993502
In his words, "the pound keeps giving me shit". Best to take it from him then to let the little guy suffer for more days. I just hope his brothers and sisters end up okay.
>>
>>1993496
Pancreatic enzyme levels are abnormally LOW or HIGH?

If HIGH, I can make no suggestions.

If LOW, I can give you some things to ask your vet that may help clarify some things.
>>
>>1993514
If you don't want the pups to suffer then call animal control.

Do you think things will magically get better on their own!?!
>>
>>1993518
No that's my point, animal control is already on his ass. Besides, the least i can do is make things better for the one i took home.
>>
>>1993515
His enzyme levels were too high. After going on a lower fat diet the levels came back normal, but he's sick again with similar symptoms.
>>
>>1993522
I have no personal experience with this, but the low fat diet would suggest your vet suspects pancreatitis. It can be chronic or recurring, and result in permanent damage to the pancreas apparently.

Alternatively, cancer can cause this but pancreatic cancer's nasty and your dog would probably be dead by now.

You are maintaining the low fat diet? No one is feeding it table scraps or extra treats or anything except the low fat diet, even in spite of potential begging?
>>
>>1993530
The vet suggested the low fat diet because he thought it was pancreatitis at first, yes. The low fat diet has been maintained. No treats, no table scraps or garbage, only low fat food and the occasional piece of lunch meat when he needs to take a pill. Everything I can find on google also suggests a pancreas problem, I guess I'm just freaking out because he's getting worse again after being better for a while.
>>
>>1993540
Well, you can look for another vet for a second opinion. They might find something new, but they might not.

He may need his bloods retaken to see if he's definitely relapsing, to KNOW what's going on, regardless of whether you see a new vet or not. If he's sick "again" he may be sick with something else entirely and the symptoms are just similar to what he had before, so you're attributing it to that, when it's something else entirely. (He may have picked up some sort of viral/bacterial gastroenteritis or a parasite like you suggested ie. coccidiosis, or something else, since the last vet visit. It does happen.)

What pills is he taking? Because some medications have side effects also.
>>
>>1993550
Every once in a while he'll get an anti-allergy pill, and the vet had him on something to help reduce his vomiting. The meds worked, then they stopped working and he got a higher dosage I believe. Now it's just diarrhea, and we're going back to the office tomorrow to see what else.
>>
>>1993562
There are allergy pills for dogs?

My vet tells me plenty about gastrointestinal tract issues, but I'm dealing with topical allergy on feet by just putting on boots and preventing licking.

Ask to have his bloods redone if it isn't too expensive, see what crops up. If nothing does, maybe do a stool sample to check first for parasites, and then for fat content in the stool, because that will tell you whether he's digesting his food properly or not.
>>
>>1993520
This is why byb still exist.

>i'm saving this pup, even if i pay for him, b-but i dont support puppy mills
Guess what, if you are paying for a puppy from a byb, you are reinforcing that there is a need for what they do.

Ofc the other faggots with
>i want a "purebreed" dog, but i won't let those bourgeois greedy breeders take my money, puppies from untracable parents are just as good
Just adopt a mutt, it will be just as loving

God these people make me angry
>>
>>1993588
BYB's exist because we'll pay several hundred dollars to NOT have some self-righteous racist hipster inspect our homes and make us fill out stupid questionnaires so they can judge our ability to care for a pet.
>>
>>1993570
Yes there's antihistamines. My dog has to take them because he has an allergy to some grasses.
>>
>>1993591
That's probably because you shouldn't keep a pet retard
>>
>>1993588
My pupper IS a mutt. I don't know why you're getting so mad at my decision to buy a puppy that was living in poor conditions off a dude that doesn't even want them nor breed them; the puppers parents are owned by someone else. Let me repeat, this guy is NOT a byb.
>>
>>1993598
That's what mine is allergic to. Also pollen. We're having a bad year.

Good luck with your dog.
>>
>>1993600
>paying for a mutt
Are you fucking serious? You are paying for a mutt to a guy who "does not" want to breed them, but surely not a byb, but already has animal control over his ass. Sounds legit.
>>
>>1993605
>Implying shelters don't charge you (much more than what i paid for actually) to adopt their mutts
Fucking hell, are you getting mad for the sake of it?
>>
>>1993599
the state says I'm fine to raise human kids but some jackass that makes minimum wage and rents a single-wide trailer wants to come to my home and judge my ability to care for a dog?

buzz off, I can afford to ignore you people and your standards.
>>
>>1992922
Why does my dog like licking my boogers? Every time I pick my nose and he gets a whiff of it, he goes to town.
>>
>>1993606
>implying paying to a byb is the same as paying for a shelter
>>
>>1993607
Do you know how many adopted dogs get returned from incompetent impulsive adopters, in an even worse state that they were in? If you are actually capable of taking care of a dog then he won't deny your right anyways. Also if you make more than minimum wage (which i assume from your snobby mentality) buying from a proper breeder shouldn't be a problem
>>
>>1993613
>If you are actually capable of taking care of a dog then he won't deny your right anyways.
I know, but I don't appreciate the invasion of privacy.

nobody inspected my home when I had kids.
it's some bullshit.

>buying from a proper breeder shouldn't be a problem

why would I pay extra to have some other asshole inspect my home and interview me?

/an/'s idea of a "proper" breeder is just as intrusive and assholic as a shelter is.

I pay extra for privacy. That is all. I don't care if it's a shelter mutt or a grand champion stud dog, I don't want you plebs visiting my home. Fuck off. Or let me come to your house and tell you what I think of your lifestyle.
>>
>>1993611
The guy had puppies that he wanted to get rid of. He doesn't breed them recreationally, he is not a byb, and the two dogs that he does own are 2 pitbulls that are desexed. I paid him literal chump change to take from him a puppy that otherwise would end up in a shelter or be dead. Now, do you mind getting off my ass for something i thought was actually a good deed?
>>
>>1993619
>He wants to get rid of puppies
>asks money for them
Why are you trying so hard to defend defend him? Do you want to feel like a good person so bad?
>>
>>1993627
I'm not trying to defend him, you're just acting like a cunt to the wrong person.
>>
>>1993627
Leave the poor guy alone you self righteous faggot
>>
>>1993605
Back yard supplier is just as bad. You encouraged him to keep going back to his source because he knows there is a market.
>>
File: 31.jpg (26 KB, 270x480) Image search: [Google]
31.jpg
26 KB, 270x480
Can you guess the breed of this dog?

I believe it's mixed.
>>
>>1993676
Its a mutt until you have certification of the parents
>>
>>1993676
Reminds me of the mutt I grew up with.

He was a mix between lab, German sheperd, and two different kinds of spitzes.
>>
>>1993661
....Or maybe it was a one off thing. Way to overanalyse everything.
>>
How often do you brush your dog's teeth?
>>
>>1993503
Just a giant husky. If you don't have a sleigh fuck off already you fuckin fashion dog lover
>>
>>1993742
Never. And those dentastix and dog treats that claim to clean their teeth are shit and deadly.
If their diet is good and their toys are on point there's no need.
>>
>>1993736
One off thing of selling puppies that "accidentaly" got to him and animal control is already looking into him... Way to not see the obvious to avoid feeling bad
>>
So yesterday while walking my dog, we met a new dog. Had never saw him before.
His body looked like a really, really beefy and tall GSD, minus the fucked up hips, his fur was white and very light brown, and he had a sort of fluffy short mane about his neck.
Any chance it was a recognizable pure race or was it a mutt?
>>
>>1992946
get new dog
>>
I plan on getting myself a dog when I move out and I want it to be healthy. I heard that a shepherd dog is the way to go and that a mix breed shepherd will live forever. Is it true?
>>
>>1993751
The amount of assumptions you're concocting over a mandarin drawing board is ridiculous m8. Acting like a know-it-all is only making you look like a prick.
>>
>>1993768
Yeah, shepherd cross is the master race of dogs, super healthy, super intelligent, just get on point of what's worth mixing and stuff, also German shepherds have fucked hips make sure it's from a working line not a show line.
>>
>>1993768
Tibetan terriers are pretty much indestructible too, my nan had one that was like 20 when it died.
>>
>>1993770
What assumptions? I don't really care if bybs and byb supporters think i'm a pretentious prick
>>
>>1993780
>What assumptions
Thinking the guy is a byb. Thinking you know how he got those puppies to begin with. Thinking you know he's going to keep doing it etc etc. Seriously mate, you just don't stop. I could say my friend gave a puppy to me for free and you'd still whine and moan and try downplay me as "a bad person".
>>
>>1993676
Just saw this on kijiji, you going for it?
>>
Something I've been wondering.
If a dog attacks something and it doesn't give off a reaction of any kind. Wouldn't the dog just... stop?
I mean, for example, rabid dogs don't just attack trees and garbage cans, do they?

And I'm not saying ''If you act like a corpse when you're being mauled by a dog/rabid kodiak bear, you'll be right fine and dandy. Trust me, senpai.''
>>
>>1993866
He's was already taken, unfortunately.
>>
What's the minimum age required for a dog to start reward training? 10 weeks?
>>
>>1993962
Reputable breeders start training before they go home.
>>
>>1994036
I was more so referring to obedience training.
>>
Hi guys,

thinking of getting a dog soon. Grown up and had them as pets a younger but now I am 26 and own a house and would love to have a companion.

I'm am not one of those retards who would let it do what the fuck it wants, eat piss and shit everywhere and laugh and encourage it to destroy shit. I will be incredibly strict an very consistent as I live by myself. I got running pretty much every day and hike a lot so I would enjoy a friend. I would let it sleep in the first room of the house but it would come no further/only be fed at meal times ect.

Now for the breed. I would really like some kind of working dog (border collie, kelpie, australian cattle dog, or mix of any of them) or maybe even a GS or Newfoundland. I wan't something intelligent and also somewhat docile. I've read that if you keep on top of these breeds, discipline them well and give them structure they will be incredibly great companions.

What do you think? Is there also a breed I may be missing?
>>
>>1993216
you people make me sick. spending all night with a whimpering dog not only encourages it to walk over you like the little, inconsiderate bitch you are, but you are also ironically making the dog more miserable. Don't think that disciplining it and teaching it to be separated from others is a mean thing. Disneyfication is dangerous and a dog is far more happier if it has structure in its life.
>>
>>1994183
>I would let it sleep in the first room of the house but it would come no further
why this?

I can understand if it was just for him to adjust to the house so he doesn't get overwhelmed, but once that period is over, what is your reasoning for not letting him in the rest of your house?

in addition, what you say about how you run every day and hike often is good, but what is your work schedule like?

have you owned a dog before? it's difficult to have your first dog be a working breed, but if you have the time, I don't see why not.
>>
>>1994229
Mainly to stop dog hair getting through the house. He would have adequate space outside with cover and no cover.

I work shift work so the max I would normally do in a row is 3 x 12 hour days. This gives blocks of anywhere up to 3-5 days off in a row so plenty of time to spend with him and also time to crate train him if he gets seperation anxiety i'd hope.
>>
>>1994253
>12 hour days

who will watch the dog while you're gone? the max time a dog can/should hold it is 8 hours, and even that is pushing it.

>stop dog hair getting through the house
>he wants a dog but doesn't want hair

I have news for you, friend: it'll get in the house no matter what.
you have two options: don't get a dog, or get a non-shedding dog.
>>
>>1994260
My partner will be home during normal hours so he won't be alone for more than 8. Sorry should have stipulated.

I used to have a hunterway cross kelpie and his hair was only found outside and in the first room. What I don't want it to be sweeping my bedroom floor every day.
>>
>>1994288

If he's going to be an outside dog, don't bother crate training. What's the point?

Just train him not to bark and leave him out. Alternatively, get two dog and they never need to come inside.
>>
>>1994253

Also look into getting a non shedding dog?

But there's only a few breeds.
>>
>>1994289
Even if they live outside they might wreck shit in the garden or fence ect. Crate training will teach them it's ok to be alone
>>
Can a German Shepard be overwhelming for a first-time dog owner?
>>
>>1994294

Are you suggesting forcing a dog with a good sized backyard to stay in a crate all day? That's retarded. Just train the dog properly.
>>
>>1994374

Yes definitely.

They're beautiful dogs, but have a really high tendency to be aggressive if not trained properly. Especially dog vs dog aggression. Having said that, they're not super hard to train, they like following commands.

Agression + Following commands makes them amazing police/army/security dogs, but incredibly challenging as house pets. Get a Labrador.
>>
At what age do puppies understand tone of voice?

I ask this because i feel like my 6 week pupper pays no attention to neither my happy or angry voice.
>>
>>1994430
>my 6 week
You better have a good reason to have a puppy that young.
>>
>>1994433
Rescued

On that point, tips on socialisation is definitely most appreciated
>>
>>1994430
they are still learning, it can be extremely frustrating. You will cry tears of frustration. You will need to show the puppy communication through body language until he learns your voice.
>>
>>1994190
I'm really sorry for you having to act tough with your dog to feel like a man
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2446x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2446x3264
My friends daschund german shepherd mix. Hes pretty nice but stubborn
>>
>>1994434
I got you b. Watch cesar millan. Free on youtube. Your puppy needs a leader. He will be your best friend. Think of him for the time being as a roudy football jock in the mean time. He means well, they don't stay puppys forever.
>>
>>1993153
you are creating a bond with your *future* best friend. When they are a puppy..they are NOT your best friend. Best advice I can give is to just try to get your dog in the habit of going to bed at a certain time of day and waking up at a certain time. Habits make dogs chill out. so does being consitant. Give treats for when they are doing good. Also get rid of everything off the floor they can destroy or eat.
>>
>>1993180
i have a german shepherd, he is the smartest dog I have ever known and I love him to death. He really "knows me" and I "know him". Only problem is he wont let me leave the house without crying and making me feel bad about leaving him. Do you want that kind of responsibility? Can you get through the puppy stage from hell? If not I would not get a dog. Dogs are a lot of work. You have to let them out to go to the bathroom forever..until they pass way. They need you. They need you to take care of them kind of like a child. It is so different then having a cat.
>>
>>1993212
are you letting your dog set the rules of the house? He probably thinks hes the Alpa, and needs to choose how the day goes.
>>
Should i get a shiba inu? they're expensive af and rare.
>>
>>1994488
Shiba Inus are untrainable.
>>
>>1993388
get your dog a kitten. My dog has endless play time with his buddy. Problem solved
>>
>>1994490
what do you mean exactly?
>>
>>1992922
Who's a good boy?
>>
>>1993503
dude NOT a good first dog. My dog is part malimute. They are aggresive with people and other dogs and can be stubborn and really way too smart, almost calculating. No. They are calculating...which means a lot of work. You want a dog you can trust. Malamutes are more then just a "cute looking dog". Not for first time dog owners. You will get owned by a malamute.
>>
File: qkyay[1].png (201 KB, 495x523) Image search: [Google]
qkyay[1].png
201 KB, 495x523
http://qs.lc/qkyay

Which race is pic related?
Such a qt3.14
>>
File: 997.png (461 KB, 938x641) Image search: [Google]
997.png
461 KB, 938x641
Why do dogs eat grass? I think it's because they get some kind of irritation in their stomach or maybe it's tasty to them. I've noticed when my dog does that, she's bloated before eating said grass.
>>
>>1994253
DO NOT GET A DOG. YOU work 12 hour days?? LOL you think it is okay to leave your dog at the dog lounge for hours too, don't you? Because that is what you would have to do if you got one. Just because you bought a house doesnt mean you need to fill it "with dog" You anal retentive fuck.
>>
>>1994377
leaving a dog outside for 12 hours is animal abuse. You have no idea what the dog could do..or get into...or how much it would bark and bother the neighbors
>>
>>1994253
dogs are pack animals. You bring a dog into your home you are it's new pack. It is not like owning a cat. You can't just leave them alone for that long. They will become taumatized and start becoming distructive and destroy your stuff from stress.
>>
>looking at craigslist
>gsd listed for $35,000
>more expensive than fully trained police dog

wtf
>>
>>1992959
Actually Wolfs and Dogs have a common ancestor and arnt of the same species due to the fact that Wolfs are carnivores and doges are omnivores. ( Something to do with wolfes lacking certain enzymes that allow doges to digest plant matter)
>>
>>1994531
>Actually Wolfs and Dogs have a common ancestor and arnt of the same species due to the fact that Wolfs are carnivores and doges are omnivores.
yeah, that's bullshit
>>
>>1994497
The most reasonable I read was "lack of fiber".
>>
>>1994288
> I will be incredibly strict an very consistent as I live by myself
>My partner will be home during normal hours so he won't be alone for more than 8.

..So do you live by yourself or with a partner?

A Newfoundland is not a good running partner and one of the worst breeds to consider if you're that concerned about dog hair. The other dogs will be fine with running, although they're going to be bored shitless if you do 12 hour days half the week and they're also not allowed in the house the majority of the time. If you have adequate shelter and outdoor space for them and they're still getting exercised thoroughly on your 12 hour days it's not the end of the world, particularly if you get two dogs so they can at least keep each other company, but you may need to reconsider getting a breed like a border collie which was developed to spend long periods working closely with its owner. Outdoor dogs that spend a significant amount of time alone will also tend to be somewhat cooler towards their owners, which is worth keeping in mind if you want an incredibly great companion. They can still be decent, well-mannered dogs with training, like many outdoor working dogs are, but you may not get the same level of devotion and closeness from a dog that lives apart from you.
>>
>>1994539
Huh. I feed my dog part Blue Buffalo, part kibble. Is there a good way to alleviate this?
>>
>using the debunked pack theory
>recommending cesar milan videos
>2015
This thread
>>
File: Pablano.jpg (439 KB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
Pablano.jpg
439 KB, 1920x2560
>>1992922
What breed is my pupper? I know he is half chihuahua but I can't figure out the other half, some people say Phalene or Papillon.
>>
>>1994586
a mutt
>>
>>1994586
A qt pupper.
>>
>>1994041
I have applied the practical and theoretical techniques of Gun Dog, Game Dog, Water Dog to two of my hunters and they have both been the most spectacular well-adjusted boys I've ever seen.

Wolters was a proponent of earlier the better, and I believe he was right. Grandin's chapter on dogs also supports.

http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Dog-Revolutionary-Training-Method/dp/0525245499
>>
>>1994586
King Charles Spaniel?

Jack Russell terrier?

Really, he could be anything.
>>
are tamaskans meme breed?
>>
>>1994484
When you say going to bed and waking up, does your dog normally sleep through the whole night? My pup probably sleeps at 45 minute intervals throughout both day and night. Is that normal?
>>
Out of these dogs, which is okay to be a first dog?
Dobermann
Shiba inu
Rottweiler
Mutts
>>
>>1994652
It's entirely normal.
Normal too if he gets up and lays down elsewhere.
>>
How are any of the following:
Boston Terriers
Beagles
King Charles Spaniels
Pugs

As pets, companion dogs particularly for novice owners.
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 1132x1468) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 1132x1468
>>1994490
Eat dick, just got one and her training is going great so far. Pic related.

They're loyal, but smart and decisive. Making it have to be constant strict training.
>>
>>1994686
All I can say is regarding beagles. They are loud, can be kinda clingy, and destructive if bored. My folks had a couple, and I was giving them at least 2 medium walks daily, or one long walk if I couldn't do two, They also get into everything that remotely smells of food.
I like the breed personally, but they need to be kept occupied, and you need to be able to tolerate the noise.
>>
>>1994653
Probably mutt. The other three can all be handfuls in inexperienced hands.

Also, there is a lot of heart disease in the Doberman.
>>
>>1994547
Not that I know of, except to switch the dog to a higher fibre dog food or add a little canned pumpkin to each meal.

My dog eats grass, and if it's a fibre issue then he's out of luck -- he's got to have a low fibre diet for medical reasons.
>>
>>1994686

Pugs, Bostons and KCS are great dogs. I've been 50/50 with Beagles, some are sweet as fuck but bark...well I should say they Bay instead of barking...and they do it at everything. Met some pretty shit-tear beagles too.

Pugs are eager to please, as are bostons. Both tend to be a bit more stubborn when it comes to potty training. Bostons are more clingy, pugs cling but are more independent. CKS are sweet dogs and very very lazy, mellow. Also very prone to medical problems, as with Bostons/Pugs.
>>
>>1994701
>Pugs, Bostons and KCS are great dogs.
you should hang yourself from that pipe down by the creek.
>>
Are there dogs more trainable than Border Collies?
>>
Are two 20 minute walks (one at 8:00 am, another at 4:30 pm) too much for a 5 - 6 month old Labrador puppy?
>>
>>1992922
Do dogs pant all the time? Just been around my brother's dog, and he breathes really fast and really loud 90% of the time. It like he's just never calm, even when sitting or laying down.
>>
>>1994540
So stay away from collies and go towards something like a kelpie or aus cattle? Seems a lot of people here are against the 12 hours alone. Is it really that detrimental? What about a compromise, say his first year he wold have someone come walk him half way through the day? I know people can anal retentive with dogs but if it would do some serious harm to the dog then I would not get one.
>>
>>1994763
Get a cat instead.

Cats can be left alone in the house for 24~36 hours.
>>
>>1994763
>kelpie or aus cattle
these are equal or worse than a collie in terms of energy.

>Seems a lot of people here are against the 12 hours alone. Is it really that detrimental?
yes. you will have a terrible, neurotic dog.

>What about a compromise, say his first year he wold have someone come walk him half way through the day?
do you think he will magically become okay with being alone 12 hours after the first year?

please get a cat or get nothing.
>>
>>1994739
if anything, they're too little. you are fine and could stand to go a little higher.
>>
>>1994531
No, dogs are literally a subspecies of wolf. And while dogs can digest plant matter better than wild wolves, their physiology is still very much that of a carnivore and do best on a mostly-meat diet. You can compare their physiology to a true omnivore like a grizzly bear to see the difference.
>>
>>1994756
No, that's not normal. Panting could indicate stress, too high room temperature, even medical concerns like heart issues.
>>
>>1994499
>leaving a dog outside for 12 hours is animal abuse.

Lol wtf are you talking about?

You've literally never left the city have you?

My relatives all live on farms and have outside dogs that stay outside. They're literally perfect dogs and don't get into trouble

>it might bark

Train your dog properly.

Leaving a dog in a crate is more abusive than giving it free range of a yard. Seriously are you fucking crazy?
>>
my dog is 11 almost 11.5
she's a Labrador and Dalmatian mix
she's generally had a pleasant but energetic temperament all these years, she used to be incredibly hyper though
In the past we would walk about 3-4 miles EVERYDAY no matter what
there was a period where i was late at school most nights, so we wouldn't walk everyday, just most days, and then something else happened, so we went several months without walking, then she got a urinary tract infection and had surgery, and since then i can barely get her to walk, if at all

in fact, when i was trying to get us back into /walking everyday/ she would just fall over and refuse to walk after a couple of days in or if she didn't want to walk any more, like i'd have to literally drag her if I didn't stop and turn around

what gives?
she's still energetic generally, she seems like she likes to play, but she mainly sleeps all day.

also she's been tripping over herself lately, but i think thats just because she's not used to her nails being so long (not walking on the cement=not getting filed down on their own, obviously)

she's also a little overweight, but thats a result of my mom constantly giving her treats and human food
>>
When do male dogs start lifting their leg to pee?

This shit is making me want to put a nappy on my pupper (figuratively) because he pees all over the house without warning
>>
>>1994832
No I mean practice crate training when I am at home only.
>>
>>1994765
Yeah I rescued a ray doll from a drain, he is beautiful. Very easy to look after you are right. Maybe I'll reconsider some things.
>>
>>1994832
See most people who I know own cattle dogs have a decent sized yard and are out a bit. The thing seems fine and on walks he is great off leash. Explores a little but ever more than 15 meters. A real bro
>>
>>1994861

Dog parks. Let her walk around at her own pace.
>>
>>1994870
Mine started around 5 months. It was right after we started taking him to dog parks so I think he learned from watching other males though
>>
>>1994903
I see, thanks. Can't wait until he's old enough to take on walks.
>>
I;m thinking of getting a Shiba Inu are they really as bad as people say?
>>
>>1994704

Pissed off a beagle owner, I see.

If you want an easy mode dog, Pugs/Bosto's and CKS are easy mode. Beagle I would put mid range. Beagles need more guidence and training. They are hunting dogs afterall, not like companion dogs like the other three.

And, seriously, telling someone to kill themselves only means you don't know how to debate. Do yourself a favor and learn too. You'll be better off for it and you won't come off as much of an ill-informed individual.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>1994915
Right now mine just, like right now, turned 12 weeks. Her teething phase is horrible but she's my first puppy so I'm not sure how extreme teething phases are. She's also grumpy when very tired.
But she's a really great pupper all around and is obedient with my constant training.
Already knows how to, sit, lay down, shake both paws, roll over, leave/drop things, and spin around.
Her leash training is coming along, as I've only been getting her used to a leash this past week. I'm pretty strict with it so a small supposed 5 minute walk can turn into a 15 minute one to show her that pulling is not okay.
I work around 30 hours, five or four days a week and she gets almost all of my remaining attention along with my weiner dog.
On my iPod, not sure how their pic will turn out
>>
>>1994920
are they alright being left alone at home for about 6 hours a day?
>>
>>1994925
So far so good, but she's only totally alone for a few hours because my pardner and I work opposite shifts. So max alone time really usually is about an hour.
There are times when we go out to eat and hang with friends for about that long though and she's fine with it as long as she's with our other dog.
To prevent any separation anxiety I sometimes leave the room and close the doors, come back in a few minutes and reward her for being a good puppy.
She's still quite young and we want to be impressionable on her so we want to spend as much time as possible with her.
>>
What're some great toys for a puppy? Mine seems a little disinterested in his ball and chew toy.
>>
>>1994925
No not okay until they are at least 1 year old, and that is still pushing it.
>>
>>1994832
key word "dogs". Two dogs keep eachother company. One "dog" is lonely and destructive if left alone for 12 hours at a time.
>>
Why are terriers the best small dog breed?
>>
>>1994902
i'm afraid she'd try to attack another dog, she seems to heavily dislike small animals and children
having to drive her somwhere to walk around is a pain in the ass, but i guess thats what has to be done then i'll be doing it
>>
>>1994942

If there's an issue with aggression I would be super careful.

Guess there's not much you can do besides play with her in the backyard.
>>
My dog has cancer, we got a lump remover from his stomach a couple times in 5 years, it's impossible for the vet to get rid of it all. Lately he's been getting more smaller lumps, one near his shoulder for example. He's nearly 10 years old, but it's really scaring me knowing I can't do a thing about it. He's a yellow lab, and I want to know how long he might have. He's still his normal self, running around, wanting attention, all that stuff.
>>
>>1994829
>even medical concerns like heart issues
Well that explains it, he go a heart problem. Thanks m8.
>>
>>1994934
Rope toy
>>1994938
They're not unless you are also an energetic person and are able to commit twice as much time in comparison to a companion bred dog
>>
>>1994951
My lab started getting tumours around then. The average life expectancy is usually twelve years. She died at 11 years old, so depending if they're super cancerous or not or harmless, she can get a couple more years.
It's when they unable to walk very far and change their sleeping area and have to pee more often is when you should start to worry. Then it'll prob be from a day to a month. Our dog was incredibly tired and had no joy of living anymore so we humanely uthenized her.
>>
>>1994955
So basically about a year or two left.

Thank you, I'll have to spend as much time as possible with him until we have to bring him in.
>>
>>1994949
she's not aggressive i dont think, at least not as aggressive as she used to be, but she does take a while to warm up to strangers. she also seems very protective of me, but i like that, hahaha

it seems alot of her character traits of late are just because she's old----she gets startled easily, but i fear she might be going deaf. and then her response time isn't what it used to be either

I'll try the dog park and have her wear a muzzle; generall even playing with her in the yard isn't what it used to be which makes me sad that my play/work out buddy has become my sleeping buddy, but things change i suppose.

is there a way i can get her to be more "youthful" again?
as much of an irritant as she was as a puppy/younger dog, i miss all of that now ;--;
>>1994959
sorry to hear that anon, enjoy the time you have left
>>
what is the best starting dog for an average dog owner in the middle size?

Golden?
>>
>>1994964

Golden or Lab.

There is literally no competition. Doesn't have to be a purebreed, mix can help rule out breed health issues.
>>
>>1994953
What would a companion bred dog be? Dogs like shih tzu's are absolutely shit.
>>
>>1994959
You should consider adding turmeric in the form of golden paste to his diet, it's an easy addition and it might give you some extra time with him.
>>
I'm nocturnal. Are there any good nocturnal big dogs?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.