[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Found out today that we're going have to put down our cat.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20131207_113852_574.jpg (135 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131207_113852_574.jpg
135 KB, 1024x768
Found out today that we're going have to put down our cat. We found him under a bush in our backyard back in 1999, and named him Pikachu because I was a little kid and Pokemon was the coolest thing. We figure he was a stray, probably inbred, definitely had a whole host of neurosis and physical problems. He bonded with my mom, and would follow her around everywhere like a shadow.

He used to be a really wild guy, but as he got older he mellowed somewhat and would let you pet him. Ended up sleeping on people's beds quite peacefully. When he was little he could eat anything, but one day he got some salmon as a treat and it upset his stomach something awful. I think it broke his confidence, because he's become more and more of a picky eater since.

He had a big personal space bubble, but he was always interested in what we were doing - when I'd be playing with toys in the living room, he'd come in and just stand in the middle, lashing his tail. He didn't really know how to play, but he wanted to be involved anyway.

17-odd years isn't bad, right? That's pretty good for a cat who by all rights should've died under the wheels of a car if we hadn't taken him in. And he's gotten into so much trouble besides that, mainly through his own stupidity, that I figure he's probably used up at least 9 lives.
>>
File: pikachu3.jpg (64 KB, 802x601) Image search: [Google]
pikachu3.jpg
64 KB, 802x601
We've kinda known this was coming, he's really been fading away in the past year. He used to be so muscular, but these days when you pet him he's just skin and bone.
>>
File: pikachu2.jpg (66 KB, 777x597) Image search: [Google]
pikachu2.jpg
66 KB, 777x597
>>
Op you are breaking my heart, I know its hard but it seems he has lived a pretty solid life with you. Good for your family, for keeping him alive and well all these years. It seems to be a rare occurrence anymore.
>>
File: pikachu.jpg (67 KB, 797x605) Image search: [Google]
pikachu.jpg
67 KB, 797x605
He was stupid and he caused a lot of trouble, but he was handsome, and he loved his family.

I'll miss you, buddy.
>>
>>1992217
My cat was two years older but basically the same story except non salmon or neuro/physical problems. He was actually a pretty normal cat.

He was nothing but skin and bones the night he died.
>>
Sending your family tons of love. I can't imagine how much this sucks. But you gave him the best/longest life he could have :)
>>
Poor old man.

17 is a very good lifespan, especially for a stray taken in. It's much better than a lot of cats get in this world. Sorry for your loss; it sounds like he was lucky to have you.
>>
That is a long time, sounds like you did a great job in giving him a full life. We need more people like you who care for their kitties this much.

You and your family did the right thing you should be proud.
>>
He's so cute, anon. You gave him a long, comfortable life.
>>
Give him a kiss for me
>>
File: IMAG0276.jpg (1 MB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0276.jpg
1 MB, 1520x2688
This is all just reminding me of how old my cat is getting. She's on her sixteenth year, she's all but totally deaf, and won't ever go outside unless the sun is shining in her spot in the rose garden. She's gotten a lot weaker over.the last couple years and I think she may have a problem with her inner ear because her sense of balance is pretty shot. Sometimes you reach down to pet her and she just sort of topples over.

All in all not a bad life for a cat who was a farm cat for the first year of her life, practically starting off as feral until she got used to being around people. I remember she would specifically target my brother, hiding underneath a couch or coffee table and sprinting out to slash at his ankles as he walked by.

I can't even prepare myself for how empty I'll feel when we finally lose her. She's easily one of the best cats I've ever known, and nearly everyone who comes to our house wants to take her after she hops up into their laps to leech their body heat.

Here's a picture of her staring at ghosts.
>>
>>1992531

I see you play Magic The Gathering. I'm pretty good at Magic The Gathering myself
>>
Thats a good long life for a cat, and it's clear you loved him.

Always remember the good times. My cat was only 4 when she was hit by a car, I wish I'd gotten to have my whole childhood with her - everything dies in the end, and at least he's going to go surrounded by people that loved him and he won't be in pain.

Give him a big kiss and a hug goodbye, he wouldn't want you to be sad.
>>
>>1992217
17 years is longer than most live and longer than it would have lived had you not taken it in.

Sucks when you have to say goodbye.
>>
File: 015.jpg (101 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
015.jpg
101 KB, 768x576
17 is a very good age for a cat you found outside, OP. I'm sorry for your upcoming loss. Take some time to say goodbye, take some last pictures of him, you'll appreciate it later.

We found pic related in 1999 also out in our garden, and when the vet looked at his teeth she estimated he was 2 or 3 years old. We called him Milo. He was put to sleep in 2011. He had cancer -- he made it to 14, though.

I feel sometimes like the cats you find and rescue are the best cats, though all cats are good cats really.
>>
OP, I'm unbelievably sorry for your loss. Please reflect thoroughly on your time with Pikachu with everyone until the day comes when you have to put that cat down. During Pikachu's final moments, please stay by that cat's sideā€”it deserves to have you and your family (specifically your mom) with it until the very end.

Pet your kitty on the head for me, and know I send my condolences.

A song to commemorate Pikachu's life from this anon to you
http://youtu.be/gmvWPiV37BM
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.