[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone help me pick out an exotic mammal when I move to Oregon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
Someone help me pick out an exotic mammal when I move to Oregon soon, I'm having trouble weighing my options.
Preferably something that is decent enough on a leash that would enjoy going on walks and whatnot. (No, not in populated areas) I'd also prefer something that doesn't have an absolute fuckload of energy. Something able to be kept loose in a house most of the time is a bonus, but not a necessity.

Right now I'm looking at crested (or north american) porcupines. Also playing around with the idea of a bird, but don't want a parrot. if anyone knows of larger softbills that are good with people i'd be interested in that too.
>>
Also yes, I am aware of all the special care needed for exotics, and have exotic experience so I'm not getting in blind. Just looking for suggestions I might not have considered.
>>
A penis
>>
A dog sounds perfect for you. I'm sure it is special enough for a special snowflake called op.
>>
>>1991556
You'd make a shit owner, OP.

Most people with "exotic" pets end up with them because they find themselves interested in that particular kind of animal. Judging by your post, you simply want something that makes you "special"(underlined by the leash part. Walking non-dogs as if they were dogs is not only pointless, since they aren't domesticated in the same way, it's also terribly narcissistic,as you hope to be seen as "that eccentric girl/boy" who treats weird animals as dogs).

If you just wanted an animal to have on a leash and take walks with, I'd recommend a dog, since they are perfect for that, but your obsession with having a unique "exotic" animal makes me question whether you should own an animal at all.
>>
Is there a bigger snake than this?
>>
>>1991556
A skunk, but I don't Know much about them.RFG Always talked about skunks as good pets.
>>
File: mongoose%2Bpicture.jpg.cf.jpg (42 KB, 602x399) Image search: [Google]
mongoose%2Bpicture.jpg.cf.jpg
42 KB, 602x399
MONGOOSE
>>
>>1991560
>>1991564
Yes, I am being a special snowflake by letting an animal get outside and walk around. Pretty showoffy out in the middle of the fucking woods, right? Whats with /an/ and getting all buttmad the second someone wants anything that isn't a dog or cat? I'm not even entirely against a dog, I just don't find them very interesting compared to everything else.

>implying I don't keep exotic animals with specific requirements already just fine

>>1991567
Reticulated pythons are longer, but green anacondas are the heaviest.

>>1991569
Skunks do seem pretty cool too, I'll have to look into them a little more.
>>
>>1991574
Like I said, my problem isn't that people choose exotic pets; it's totally understandable if you're interested in the particular species. The problem here is that you, rather than being interested in any particular property of an animal, or an animal as a whole, seem to be interested in the mere fact that they're different. What you're asking for is simply a "special" animal(as if not all animals were special in a way). To me, it's obvious that this is mostly a matter of appearance to you.
>>
I love /an/pol/.
>>
>>1991586
It's not a matter of just wanting something different, it is that I'm not a dog person. I'd consider other domestic stuff too, but nothing I can think of really fits. There's nothing wrong with getting an exotic if it meets what you're looking for in an animal and is a decent fit for your lifestyle, and that is probably better for the animal doing it that way than by just getting something only because you're interested in it. Like, I'm super interested in crocodiles and could get one if I really wanted to, but I get that it would be totally unsuitable for what I can provide.
>>
>>1991628
>There's nothing wrong with getting an exotic if it meets what you're looking for in an animal and is a decent fit for your lifestyle
I didn't say it was. It is however something wrong with looking for an especially "exotic" animal without even knowing what you're looking for. It's the same as with fighting dogs: if you particularily want one, you probably aren't fit to own it.

> I'm not a dog person
Also, this is a bullshit meme. "[animal] person" doesn't exist. The term is merely a way for a narcissistic human to create an identity for him/herself using animals. It's equal to reducing your pet to a mere accessory.

Lastly, for most non-domesticated animals, life in captivity will be a downgrade from their natural life. Animals apart from the "common, boring" pet species simply aren't pets.
>>
>>1991574
Its the fact that you want an animal because its exotic, but dont want to have to deal with the effects of owning an exotic like, say, not having an animal you can take on walks.
>>
>>1991556
You want an animal that is exactly like a dog but isn't actually a dog.

If you want exotics you have to take compromises. Not suited for outdoor, not able to be potty trained, special diets, not tame, stuff like that.
>>
kek, I work at an Oregon shelter and all I can say is make sure you have all the correct permits, pretty hardass here about it. we get in exotics all the time that people keep illegally until we get them to a corresponding rescue.

don't be a dumbass OP. just get a dog. that's exactly what you're describing
>>
>>1991556
Skunk skunk skunk seriously no regrets
>>
>>1991961
Apparently in Oregon by law you must buy a skunk outside the state and must come with health certificate and import papers
>>
What exotics do you keep currently/in the past?

A lot of people consider anything that isn't a dog or cat to be "exotic", and knowing what animals you have experience with would help.

I vote a nile monitor, those things are qt.
>>
>>1991556
How the fuck you gunna leash train anything that isn't an already established domesticated animal? "Hi guys looking for something fancy I can drag around by the neck, because I don't feel like a dog person, and want everyone to notice how cool I look with a fucking capybara on a lead"
>>
>>1991637
Something being as exotic as possible isn't my main goal. If it was I'd just get a husky mix and parade it around town as a wolf dog, or slap a leash on whatever regardless and drag it into the city. (obviously things I wouldn't do regardless but)

>>1991705
I don't mind dealing with the effects of an exotic at all. Special everything is 1000% fine with me, i'm just trying to pick an animal that has certain qualities, and there's nothing wrong with that. You can't say taking walks is something universally bad with exotics, plenty of mammals are entirely cool with it that I have seen.

>>1991712
I'm not sure I'd consider the single thing of "I'd like something I can take with me on walks" to immediately mean exactly like a dog. I certainly don't expect an animal to act like a dog, and wouldn't even want it to in the first place. I know the knee jerk reaction is assuming everyone is a normie who expects everything to act like a dog, but I have enough animal experience to know that is pretty much never true.

>>1991961
Skunks are sounding better and better to be honest.

>>1991749
That IS a thing I was wondering. What is even illegal in oregon? All I can find seems to just say you just can't have bears, felines or canines, which makes it sound like most other things are fair game?

>>1992009
Right now mostly large constrictors and other reptiles, which don't really have any similarities to an exotic mammal. I have worked with exotic birds and a few mammals though. Little experience with monkeys (which I absolutely would never want), porcupines which were pretty laid back, birds, and vague interaction with some other mammals. Nile monitors are cool and I do really like monitors, but one would be a pretty poor choice for me because it'd be too cold to ever have it outside, and having a monitor on a leash in a forest would just end up being me standing there repeatedly trying to pull it out of the bushes every two feet since they won't walk with you at all.
>>
>>1992119
It's pretty easy with most mammals. Have you never been to a zoo and seen animals on a leash/harness?

I've seen it done with everything from porcupines, to wallabies, to even big cats. Being ok on a leash has nothing to do with an animal being domestic or not, its just a matter of finding something that enjoys interacting with people and is laid back enough to not mind something on it's body.
>>
>>1991572
This
>>
File: original.gif (920 KB, 384x216) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
920 KB, 384x216
>>1991559
>>
a tiger
>>
>>1992383
The whole "taking an animal for a walk" thing is pretty much out of the question with most exotics, either because they dont tolerate a leash, they dont play well with other animals, because they're no socially adapted to walking in a group, or because they are a potential invasive species. There are some exceptions to this, but they are incredibly hard to care for. If you insist on being a hipster, just get a tamanuda or something.
>>
>>1992384
Thats much harder than you're making it sound. Just because an animal tolerates wearing a leash doesnt mean it has the social attenuation to walk with you.
>>
Just get a woman
>>
>>1992383
I wouldn't be able to tell you much, keeping straight what's legal and not is animal control's job, we just keep them cared for until they get transferred. although I know the caiman we just got in was seized due to the person not having proper permits

and it can depend on where you live and the county. for example in Eugene they're more lax about having wolf hybrids than Portland would be. your best bet it calling the animal control office of the area you're moving into and asking about a specific animal

but even with all you've said, a dog still sounds best for you, maybe skunk as a possibility.
>>
>>1992383
I can tell you what my experience with skunks of you have questions. I read coatimundis are good too but difficult/impossible to potty train.

You can walk skunk on harness . my girl bonded to me so close she would follow me like shadow, no need for harness. Would only trail off to eat bugs.
>>
>>1991564
Hahah, you are such a fucking faggot Jesus christ, hop off the high horse and kill yourself on the way down
>>
>>1991586
Nothing wrong with wanting a special animal bitch boi
>>
>>1991637
You are so gay
>>
>>1991637
Literally invalid argument, contribute to the bread or get the fuck out faggot
>>
>>1992661
>>1992662
>>1992663
>>1992664
>samefagging this hard
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.