[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Animal Rights
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Animal_rights.jpg (40 KB, 490x348) Image search: [Google]
Animal_rights.jpg
40 KB, 490x348
Hi... Right now i'm feeling deeply depressed, and one of the things that usually cheer me up is a relevant healthy discussion. And after some reflection, i found a topic i wanted to discuss for a long-time.

Animal Rights.
My position as of most people is that we should treat our pets right. But always struck me as a fallacy when people compare Pets to every Animal in the world. (Like the Image used to this thread)
There is a clear difference between a animal you pick as a pet and a animal destined to a slaughter house.
One is selected by humans to serve as a family member. It's only purpose is to live in the household to provide affection and entertainment to it's owners in exchange of a shelter from nature, regular source of nourishment (Food) and healthcare.
While the other are selected from birth to provide meat for human nutrition worldwide.

This always struck me as a very defined line between pet and cattle. Since you don't have any emotional investment like you have with pets, why should we care about cattle?
It is a personal value passed to me since my childhood that Human-lives are objectively more important than Animal-lives. And it led me to some horrible closeminded responses to reasonable people that just supported animal rights.
Right now, as a adult, i'm willing to inform and educate myself in the matter. And would like you guys to clarify this loaded topic to this ignorant internet person.
Why do people compare animal killings to the murder of humans when there is a (supposed) clear divide between our species? Why should we care?

Enlighten me. Wise ones.
>>
OP Here.
Btw. I would totally eat a dog. They don't seem to have mych meat, but i'm curious about the taste of roasted dog meat.
Sound delicious.
>>
>>2163127
It's k, you're right. "Why should I care?" is the perfect answer.
Then you can always answer to your interlocutor that you'd eat them too if it was legal.

>One is selected by humans to serve as a family member. It's only purpose is to live in the household to provide affection and entertainment to it's owners in exchange of a shelter from nature, regular source of nourishment (Food) and healthcare.
That's awfully recent for 99% of the species, most were used for work primarily. Being a pet treated nearly like a human is a new thing for dogs, being domesticated and living among men isn't.
>>
>>2163133
Yeah. I realised that.
But still confuses me people advocating that Humankind should adopt a vegeratian or vegan lifestyle as the only moral choice... Again, comparing eating animals to canibalism.
>>
>>2163127
i would like to also point out that besides what >>2163133
said, there's another reason why we don't eat animals we keep as pets: most pets are either too small to be bulked out enough to be useful (hamsters, squirrels, mice, cats maybe) or require a very diverse diet which is not worthwhile (all carnivores).

i don't think it's reasonable to compare animal killing with human murder, but i personally would strive to lessen animal suffering as much as possible because it's a topic that makes me uncomfortable and i feel that causing other beings harm shouldn't be done without adequate reason (although adequate reason varies considerably depending on who you ask).

i just rambled, didn't really format anything of what i was saying.
>>
>>2163134
oh, this is mister >>2163141 again. i didn't notice your point about adopting a vegan/vegetarian lifestyle.

i think there's reasonable reasons as to why one should adopt such as a lifestyle, as well as adequate reasons why one shouldn't. personally, i wouldn't stop eating meat because i believe that housing animals and giving them a proper, decent life until they're slaughtered (which doesn't really cause them that much pain anyway) which is better for them than life in the wilderness. i don't exactly see people raising cows or chicken if we weren't gonna eat them, for example. this way, the relationship is mutually beneficial for animals and humans alike. we get to eat delicious meat, and they get to not have to worry about survival.

there's some more arguments about farm animals polluting the earth because of gas emissions and needing farmland for growing their food, but i never see the same people who spout that shit using more recycled products than your average human so i'm assuming they're only using that as an argument because they can, and not because they actually believe in what they're saying.

again lmao im ranting ollie out peace cya homos
>>
dogs are pretty lean and I imagine wouldn't taste that great.
>>
>>2163127
>why not?
because im not a soulless rice farming asian
>>
>>2163157
Neither i am. i'm a brown brazilian 23yo man with hispanic-german descent. What's your point?
>>
>>2163164
His point is that asians notoriously lack the west's empathy for animals. Probably just like we did a hundred years ago. They'll get around.
>>
>>2163127
>Why not?
Because dog meat is not sold here and carnivores taste awful compared to herbivores
>>
Do we really need this same thread for the billionth time, we had one like yesterday.

Same shit every fucking time.
>If you eat animals why won't you eat a dog
>Reasons
>Fuck you, you're fucking Hitler!
>Fuck you vegan fag.
>Shit posting for 200 + posts
>Tripfags stirring the pot.
>>
>>2163233
>Hitler
But he was a vegetarian who loved animal!
>>
>>2163237
Vegans and Vegetarians don't know that plus if they did they would not acknowledge it because only meat eaters are evil.
>>
>>2163128
ive ate dog

its very strong and gamey
>>
File: h9tbwcH.jpg (324 KB, 750x608) Image search: [Google]
h9tbwcH.jpg
324 KB, 750x608
>>2163127
>>
>>2164487
>Not eating horse and rabbit.
Missing out. Especially on the rabbit.
>>
>>2163128
most predator meat is not that tasty
>>
From what I understand, the higher up the food chain you go, the less value you get from your meal. So eating predators is not as worthwhile as eating grazers. There's some scientific term for this but I can't remember what it is. I never did biology in high school.

I'd only eat cat or dog in a crisis because they're simply inferior as a food source.

RE: pets. I kept four rabbits as pets, once. They were good pets, and I did not consider them meat rabbits. This has not stopped me purchasing meat rabbit from the butcher's for paella, or from ordering it in a restaurant.
>>
OP should do some research into speciesism.

It's pretty much the first 'acceptable' acts of violence we're taught as children.

The dog goes woof.
The cow goes moo.
Both are animals, we should be kind to the animals.
But not the cow. Not the pig.
Be kind to the dog, be kind to the cat, but kill the cow, kill the pig.
The dog is worth more. Eat the cow.
If you see a cow in a field, pet it, be kind to the cow.
The cow in slaughterhouse, ignore it, ignore it's suffering.
The dog in a slaughterhouse, launch an international petition, rally suport to end the practice.
Just not the cow. Not the pig.
The cow's suffering is worse less than the cost of filling your temporarily.
Kill the cow. Kill the sheep. Kill the pig.
But be kind to the dog; the dog is special.

Humans as a species don't look upon animals such as cows and sheep and pigs as sentient beings. We disregard the fact that if left to their own devices, they build nests and homes and families. They create social networks and develop friendships and rivalries, and they love and feel just as strongly as we do.
It was Gary Yourofsky that said that the worst sound he had ever heard was the noise that a mother cow makes when her calf is stolen from her so that it doesn't drink the milk she's produced for it, so that we can steal it ourselves. I've heard if for myself first hand now and it's awful. It's awful. They scream and bellow their lungs out hoarse until they can only pitifully wheeze, and somewhere the calf is being slaughtered for its veal, and the cow is being hooked back up for milking, boxed into a cage and its udders becoming infected and secreting pus into its milk once more.

I used to consider myself such an edgelord prior to educating myself about all this shit, but I'm not ashamed to admit that over the days I heard this cow screaming I fucking wept.
>>
>why do people compare animal killings to the murder of humans when there is a (supposed) clear divide between our species?

Is there a divide? I'm a vegetarian trying to transition into veganism and I don't see a divide.
Do you think that because animals are not human, that whilst they're being processed for slaughter that they don't experience the same level of terror that we're capable of experiencing?
I have seen pigs firsthand prior to slaughter, and the workers have to physically beat them off the trucks when they arrive. Even though the trucks are horribly cramped, the pigs refuse to move into the open space before them because they 'know' what comes next.
I've seen pigs watching their friends getting their heads bashed in in front of their eyes and they scream from the horror of what it is they're witnessing, and they cry because they know they're next. They know.

>why should we care?

That's up to you to decide.
You've basically been programmed from birth to view animals not as living, breathing, thinking, feeling beings but as objects for you to purchase, play around with and kill as you see fit. People like to try and challenge and deny this with weak fallacies about "lions in the wild", but I can't name a single species that comes close to inflicting the horror and pain we inflicts on literally billions of animals every single year.
Humans are so disassociated from the animal kingdom at this point the closest they'll ever get to viewing most animals is at a zoo. If you ever actually bothered to spend time in wild around animals maybe you'd come to develop a different view, that animals aren't here on this planet for humans to enslave and torture and murder en masse.

If animals were possessed of spoken word, I don't think we'd do to them what it is we do.
>>
>>2163127
Nature is the universal carnage.

But just because we are in a position of power and have to slaughter animals for our nutrition doesn't mean we shouldn't feel empathy and be sorry for the suffering and shitty lives we make them go through.

Artificial meat can't come soon enough.
>>
>>2163127
>Why not
>Because dogs are carnivores
>Because they weren't breed for eating for milenia
>Because it makes no sense while breeding cows for food is faster
>Because buying a dogs weight in meat is cheaper than buying a dog
>Because I don't have access to a place to legally kill and butcher a dog
I would eat someone's pet bird or rabbit tho as long as a vet says it's safe
>>
>>2163141
Those people are mentally ill and hate humans anyways even tho they won't admit it they would rather see a man die than a dog.
I don't know if it's genetic, a consequence of modern society or learned but that kind of mentality but there is definitely something wrong about a person who thinks like this
>>
>>2164487
Why eat dogs? In a post-apoc crisis, they retain utility, cats less so.
>>
>>2164946
You would think a hunting companion would be considered useful in a post apocalypse.
>>
>>2163165
>the west's empathy for animals
You mean like all those empathetic factory farms we have?
What the fuck, anon?

>>2164946
A cat would be more useful as they can actively keep vermin numbers down and act as a natural disease prevention and protect food stores. Dogs however when hungry and in numbers can become dangerous towards humans. Cats, not really.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.