[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cat or dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: YLfnlvd.jpg?1.jpg (89 KB, 775x719) Image search: [Google]
YLfnlvd.jpg?1.jpg
89 KB, 775x719
Hi /an/, my gf and I just moved into our first house and we're thinking of getting a pet. I'm curious, for those of you who have both cats and dogs, which do you prefer to own? If you had to choose just one, which would it be?

Poll here: https://www.convos.org/topics/random/692/do-you-prefer-dogs-or-cats-to-own-b
>>
Dogs of course. And get two so they keep each other company when you guys are out.
>>
>>2139445
this
>>
Each have pros and cons.

The long of it short is I love to have both. My two dogs and my two cats enrich my life in a different way, and I wouldn't want to have one without the other. Both are great pets... it just depends on what you are looking for.

Dogs
Pros:
>Awesome bros you can go on adventures with and take with you tons of places
>Really fun to play games with
>Can be taught to listen to you and other useful skills
>Pees and poos outside. Just have to pick up poo.
Cons:
>Some dont get into as being pet as cats
>Generally much more expensive than cats
>Don't live as long as cats
>Kinda sucks to take them potty when it is raining
>Can require expertise in raising them or you can fuck them up

Cats:
Pros
>Super cuddly and really, really soft
>Purring is the best noise ever
>Gets really into being pet
>Don't require much work or effort
>Poops in boxes
>Pretty hard to fuck up
Cons
>Have to clean said boxes
>Won't give to fucks about what you have to say outside of maybe "no"
>Arent as much fun to play with as dogs
>Want attention and affection on their terms.
>>
>>2139461
>Gets really into being pet
My cat HATES being petted except for every once in a while when it feels like it, and even then not for longer than a minute or two at a time.

>Want attention and affection on their terms.
So pretty much this.

Dogs have better personalities in general, I vote get a dog.
>>
>>2139476
Seem both my cats love getting pets for long periods of time and get super into it. They rub their face all over my hand, shift their head around to make me get certain spots, and once I find a good spot they push their head into my hand to get better scratches. Whereas the most I'll get out of my dogs is a tummy and a deep sigh.

Ultimately, it's just about how much effort you are willing to put into the animal if you are going to be one of those people who just refuse to get both. Cats are awesome snugglebuddies for little work beyond a clean box and good food. Dogs will be the best bros ever, but require a ton of work and knowledge. The ROI on dogs can be massive, but require a lot of investment, whereas it might not be as high on cats, but they also require a lot less.
>>
Mostly comes down to personal preference. I will say though, if you don't want to put a lot of effort into caring for your pet, then get a cat. Cats are fairly independent and besides feeding/watering them and cleaning their shit they can mostly take care of themselves and won't bug you too much. Dogs on the other hand require a lot of attention and care, and while some people might prefer this (want to have a pet they are interacting a lot with, taking on walks, etc) I've known just as many people that underestimated the amount of care and attention a dog actually needs and wound up unhappy.
>>
>>2139485
Also if you have to go out of town it's 10x easier to arrange for someone to feed and check on your cat while you're gone than it would be to have someone take care of your dog (since you can't just leave the dog alone at your house for days and expect it to be happy and well-behaved) Not an issue for everyone but if you do have to travel a lot for whatever reason it's something to consider.
>>
bird
>>
I grew up with both cats and dogs. I don't live in a house any more so I have a cat in my apartment.
>>
>>2139444
It really depends on what dog are you planning to get(cat breeds don't differ much except in color).
A companion working dog such as a GSD can train easily but don't think of having small animals anywhere near you.
A rottweiler will be very easily trained in potty eating etc. however it is very stubborn and needs a firm hand with no weakness(oh no the puppy is crying at night , better takeit to piss((leave it in crate so it learns not to piss at night)
tiny dog:who the fuck cares about those
If you are thinking of getting a lab or goldie , beginner choices but really reccomend some other dog that can actually protect. If this is your first dog try getting a personal trainer

now the cat
out/in is probably a hard decision.
In is more safer and adds years to it's life, cats seem to enjoy out more though. You could always take your cat for walks and are actually i think of my 20 years of working with stubborn dogs easier to train. Cats sometimes have confidence issues with directly effects training. I never had that problem as they were raised with large dogsso if you want A confident cat , interact and play fight a bit with it.

this thing is all over the place but heres a summary

dog:training needed more $$$
cat:low maintenence , if you want to train try to build up confidence

reccomend having both a puppy and kitten and raising together

(sorry for grammar as its late at night)
>>
>>2139656
I only really hear about outside cats getting upset if you try to confine them inside when they're used to going out. If your cat was raised to always be inside then it's not going to really give a shit.
>>
Buy a dog. Cats are the worst sons of bitches in the world. They are lazy and dogs are at least funny to have.
>>
>>2139569
Can you keep a dog in an apartment? I know people do this, I just don't know how practical it is or what breeds are a no go.
>>
>>2139564

too sensitive to be a new couple's first pet together, if living together goes bad and they break up a bird might be devastated
>>
>>2139939
There are websites upon websites on "dog breeds for apartments". Google it. There is no need to rewrite everything there.

But generally, any breed will be okay with apartment life if sufficiently exercised.
>>
I like cat betters cuz they can take better care of themselves .
>>
>>2139666
This desu, my cat is lazy, stupid, and shows no affection whatsoever to anyone besides its primary caretaker. On the other hand my dog is happy to see literally anyone, he is way friendlier.
>>
>>2139444
>Hi /an/, my gf and I just moved into our first house and...
And you've already fucked up.

Sorry, but you have much bigger issues than getting a pet. You need to figure out how much this cunt is going to cost you when she walks out on you for some petty contrived reason.
>>
Cats are gay as fuck. They hide under the couch and behind stuff where you can't see or get to them and only care about you to get scratches and shit.

Dogs are super happy to see you.

Fuck cats.
>>
>>2139444
actual dog > cat > small dog

But honestly, if you don't already know what you guys want, get a cat. They're overall lower maintenance, so if you really don't have your heart in caring for them properly, they'll manage better than a dog will.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.