[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
German Shepherd bread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160323-WA0004.jpg (96 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160323-WA0004.jpg
96 KB, 1080x1080
What are the pros and cons of this breed
>>
I've been bitten by 2 of them, and literally every one I've met growled at me. I like them
>>
>>2133669
Depends on what line you get and which breeder you're going through. Honestly though, it's mostly breeder. Even 'working'lines can come from bad breeders.

But in general:

-Were originally bred as herding dogs, then later work force so very willing to learn
-Are very family oriented and usually looking out for threats. This behavior can be encouraged through proper training
-Great dogs for active lifestyles if the breeding line is secure and doesn't include things like hip displacia or bad hearts

Cons:

-NEED a job to do or they become destructive. This can be helped through mind puzzle games and agility/tracking
-Because of the popularity of the breed, they have been over bred and inbred, creating pore health and bad personality traits, so going through a good breeder is key. A shelter dog is usually a gamble

-Energy and training should focus on positivity and focus, otherwise they can be prone to over protective-ness (aggression), separation anxiety, prey drive, and dog aggressiveness

-Shedding. lots and lots if shedding
>>
>>2133682
great post, pretty much this OP. Never been a German Shepherd owner but based on my knowledge, you have to prepared to work for thi dog to make it work for you. There's a young woman at the park I walk my dogs at and her Shepherd is out of control, she can't even let if off leash. He pulls and yanks and struggles against the leash, I saw him rear up to jump on a small child that was running past. I once gently suggested she try muzzle training him so he can walk on leash better but she give me this shitty attitude of, "i know what's best for my dog and you don't."

basically they're beautiful dogs, but need a strong leader.
>>
>>2133685
Actually anon, unless it's shitty breeding, they usually do better with a soft but PERSISTENT owner. Unlike sone other breeds, such as huskies, these guys were bred to look to the handler for guidance, making them good work dogs. The key is to get their attention and then show them what you want them to do.

But if you mean strong as in being able to hold a hundred pound dog, then ya. Ya do need some muscle though hopefully the dog won't be pulling that hard in the first place. If it is, then the owner needs to go back and work on a good leave it command.
>>
>>2133689
>they usually do better with a soft but PERSISTENT owner

ah that's interesting to know, thanks for the correction.
>>
>CON:
Horrible for bedtime cuddles.
>>
>>2133715
I think you mean:

>PRO:
Great for bedtime cuddles.
>>
>>2133669
They're pretty good as long as you neuter them, socialize and exercise them.
Also work on basic commands.

They're very sweet when brought up correctly.
>>
>>2133669
Sometimes fucked up hind legs. Neighbours got German Shepherd and they had to go to vet for a surgery because dog had problems with talking.
>>
>>2134252
>problems with talking
Did it have a stutter?
>>
>>2133675
I've been bitten by a German Shepherd too, but now I love them.
>>
hip dysplasia is the biggest con. If you buy from a shitty breeder you are pretty much guaranteed to have a GSD with it to some degree. Cost about $3k per hip and/or $1 a day for life in pain pills to manage it.

You have to make sure you get one from a breeder that checks the hips of both parents and preferably has offa score for them.

http://www.offa.org/hd_grades.html
>>
>>2134323
And grand parents.
>>
>>2134304
Walking I meant ofc.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.