[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How resilient are armadillo carapace armor? How much force could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /an/ - Animals & Nature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: armadillo.jpg (646 KB, 1460x674) Image search: [Google]
armadillo.jpg
646 KB, 1460x674
How resilient are armadillo carapace armor? How much force could they conceivably withstand?

I'm freaked out a bit, I must know.
>>
Well there are stories of people shooting armadillos only to have the bullet ricochet and hit someone.
>>
>>2128925
I find that hard to believe, people on /k/ shoot armadillos all the time because theyre pests.

also don't touch or eat armadillos
>>
>>2129021
>>2128925
Well I was wondering if they could survive more blunt impact?

I accidentally hit one last night, by the time I noticed him in the road it was too late to swerve or stop (traveling 55mph) so I tried to straddle it and hope for the best. Two thuds were felt, but I know it didn't hit the tires... I kept driving out of panic, but eventually saw "check traction/break assist" lights flashing on my console -- got too freaked out to check if he was under there so I doubled back to see the body....

...there was none.

Later that night I pulled over and had a good look under the car, and despite my worst fears, he wasn't there. Also no blood anywhere to be seen, all the way through the undercab.

Best estimates I could make for how big it was, I'd say there was a mere half inch clearance issue -- so I'm left wondering if he got a severe bump on the top of his shell and just kept on walking.

Is that too far fetched? I was so fraught with fear last night I swallowed a double dose of Xanax, just so I could sleep.
>>
>>2128916
Judging by how many I see dead on the road, not very.
>>
>>2129157
He's dead. Not that much gets left on your vehicle when you hit something. Hit a guy dead on going 25 mph once and I didn't find a drop of blood. He still died though.
>>
>>2129161
;_; fuck

I prided myself on the fact I haven't taken a life uneccessarily. Going to get piss drunk tonight to try and forget.

Thanks.

Also
>they can transmit leprosy
I'm happy I didn't find the body on the road, I would've helped him along to the patch of woods off to the side so he wouldn't get creamed anymore.

Ruined a perfectly fine evening for me, I was chasing spectacular heat lightning clouds in the back-country.

R.I.P. Lil' Rider
[spoiler] the next song that immediately came on the radio almost brought me to tears[/spoiler]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DED812HKWyM
>>
>>2129165
It's an armadillo, don't worry about it. They're dumb, slow, and there are plenty more of them out there.

It's not like you tried to hit it.
>>
>>2129161
>Hit a guy dead on going 25 mph once
I kinda want to know more, particularly about how you felt.

>>2129170
I know they are basically viewed as a pest, but I still have too big a bleeding heart not to feel something

only other animal I killed was a trout on my first camping trip, and that was intentional but for a purpose -- it still kinda stuck with me though... feeling the life slip outta him as he lay in my hands.

And to think, I was once pipedreaming becoming a real life vigilante.
>>
>>2129165
>I prided myself on the fact I haven't taken a life uneccessarily
you've killed millions of insects driving around in your car
>>
>>2129174
hahaha, good point

I guess I should think of him as an insect and carry on then.

>it's baby season
But what if she was pregnant and or was going to feed her baby that night?
>>
>>2129177
Who cares? It's a slow, dumb, disease ridden animal. Just pay more attention next time so you don't mess up your car
>>
>>2129178
I'll try to do my best not to, thanks.

still want to get pissed drunk though
>>
>>2129185
Go for it, but don't do it on the behalf of any armadillo.
>>
Armadillos are fantastic little creatures and I love every single one of them
>>
>>2129170
>slow
Have you never seen an armadillo? They're fucking fast as fuck. Google tells me they reach 30mph, which is faster than the fastest human sprinter.
>source: i used to chase after them
>>
Armadillos are the coolest animals on the planet.
>>
Armadillos are fucking astounding.

They're my favorite animal
>>
File: 1463960973698.jpg (23 KB, 480x720) Image search: [Google]
1463960973698.jpg
23 KB, 480x720
>>2129196
>>2129412
>>2129415
>>
>>2129178
Edgy
>>
>>2129196
>>2129412
>>2129415
THEY CONTRACT LEPROSY YOU SHIT
>>
>>2129507
Yes, and?
>>
please do not bully the armadillos
>>
>>2129507
Wow, a practically harmless disease. Terrifying.
>>
>>2129987
Not after the babbening and the absence of modern medicin.
>>
>>2129507
>>2129987
>>2130043
>Though Hansen’s disease, as it is clinically known, annually effects 250,000 people worldwide, it only infects about 150 to 250 Americans. Even more reassuring: up to 95 percent of the population is genetically unsusceptible to contracting it. And these days, it is highly treatable and not nearly as contagious as once believed.

>And as for armadillos—the risk of transmission to humans is low. Only the nine-banded armadillo is known to carry the disease. And, most people in the U.S. who come down with the chronic bacterial disease get it from other people while traveling outside the country.
From some shitty article but it seems the people who do it from armadillos almost always got from eating undercooked armadillo meat. We are the ones who actually gave the little guys leprosy hundreds of years ago.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.