[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, feeling severely anguished since family argues that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: dark_pit_by_lduskl-d64yjyb.jpg (188 KB, 900x1075) Image search: [Google]
dark_pit_by_lduskl-d64yjyb.jpg
188 KB, 900x1075
Hey /adv/, feeling severely anguished since family argues that my body and around it is getting bigger and I'm gaining weight around it. But due to my mental anguish due to depression and very limited interests that I'm stuck living with, I'm feeling like I'm getting hopeless by the day, and I'm already at the maximum amount of medication so I don't have a seizure, which means I can't take prescription medication to treat depression, but the worst thing is that the only thing that keeps me alive is wanting to play boring old classic games.

Is there anything that can be done to help me treat my weight issue and my mental depression that continues to haunt me, or is it that I am just doomed in life to end up dying faster than I think within the next 7-10 years despite being 20 and having survived depression once?
>>
>>17159614
Older anon Medfag here.

Weight gain and depression are nasty combinations. With seizures you mentioned, you have a complex issue that feeds into a negative feedback loop. Demotivation, diminished neural activity due to medication, weight gain, high bp, poor oxygenation of the blood stream because of lack of activity. All nasty stuff.

You're also stuck in this rut that makes you believe you can't do better, so you gravitate towards these instances of minor achievement feelgood moments (old video games) to cope.

You're in a comfort zone that will prevent you from growing. I imagine you're afraid of trying due to negativity from othets as well.

You need to find the strength to break this cycle. Get rid of the video games, do things that give you a real sense of accomplishment. Replace the crutches with a structure that will reinforce positive change. It may sound like frufru bullshit, but you have to scrap this she'll you're living in and choose something new
>>
>>17159673
Shell not she'll
>>
File: 20140713_015505000_iOS.jpg (68 KB, 360x456) Image search: [Google]
20140713_015505000_iOS.jpg
68 KB, 360x456
Yes. There is something you can do to address your weight gain and depression. You can see if a practice in mindfulness is helpful for you. Stress hormones make it hard to lose weight, and if you are depressed, chances are you are feeling a little anxious and stressed?

-slow down how you eat and don't worry about what you eat for starters

- take ten extra minutes to eat your meals so you can slow down

-our emotions play a huge role in how we eat

-take 10 deep,complete breaths before you begin eating and if you find you rush, take 10 more breaths

- take meals outside and away from devices

-oxygen burns calories so breathe

-meditation can help with depression and so can journaling

I hope you find this helpful. Be gentle with yourself.
>>
>>17159707
Med anon here again.

Meditation is high on the list of good things to do. It helps you put structure and order to your thoughts. Take the next step past that and start putting order , structure, accountability, and discipline into your own life. It'll take time, but it is worth it
>>
>>17159673

OP down here...

I've been gaining weight from what my parents mentioned, though surviving depression once, this is the second time I have it. I only got identified as epileptic when I was in high school, stuck on Keppra and Depakote, though those are the only two kinds of epileptic medication I take, as my doctor instructs me to take, twice a day.

My demotivation for not wanting to leave the house or do much but stay on the computer and never to speak to family was caused by my fear of others in the real world and the mental distress that has trapped me.

Last time I went to my local urgent care, I haven't had any high blood pressure nor did I have any serious medical problems, but I'm at one point going to risk having chest pain and at one point going to end up in the ER.

The old games I played since I was growing up and during high school was the only thing that kept me from death and choosing drug abuse around me along with my choice to sleep in the afternoon and stay awake in the morning, so my sleep is difficult to get.

If I can green text this quote:

> You're in a comfort zone that will prevent you from growing. I imagine you're afraid of trying due to negativity from others as well.

You're right about this part, the most significant part that's coming after me. Despite me gaming, it only copes my anguishing depression and is keeping me away from drug abuse and encouragement from joining into the criminal life, but due to that quote you mentioned, the negativity from family and others in the past is what caused my depression in the first place.
>>
>>17159707

OP again...

I've never been taught how to do such, but I'm only hoping this works, as getting a therapist is kind of much was the key to the survival of depression the first time I had it. I didn't know where to start for dietary instructions, as my medication said I can continue my normal diet, and I haven't spoken to my doctor regarding diet, but I'll take this advice as well. But there is one other thing I'm looking about... After I finish eating, should I take another 10 deep breaths? It doesn't hurt to breathe.

The food I make, I usually eat around at the TV, but my phone is usually offline so I don't get my notices until I am done eating, should I back away from the TV as well?

If the TV is a device, then I'll be outside on the streets, usually the neighbour and the three kids with her are honest and respectful and don't mind me out there.
>>
>>17159740
Med anon again

We all have our shit we deal with. I went through a stage of alcoholism and manic depression after a divorce many years ago. It took me a long time to recover, and that was without medications. So I can sympathize with how you must feel. Being someone who comes from a family with a history of depression, I got to the point where I could recognize the cycle of depression in myself and work to enact some kind of countermeasure. For me, it was learning. But to learn, I had to gut my entire past. No dnd, no vidya, get rid of the anime collection and comic book collection. Wipe the slate clean, so to speak.

It's scary as fuck. But it gets easier as time goes on.

You need am outlet. Since you're stuck in a certain mode , perhaps a variation upon existing themes would be worth it. Classic or oldschool video games are popular on youtube twitch twitter etc etc. Take your enjoyment of vidya and do something serious, try to make money off of it. Developed a small youtube channel, create a social media persona, stream your playthroughs when you feel comfortable enough.

This will allow you to do something new with a hobby you love...and be serious about how you create your new business.

As far as weight gain, you might be eating for comfort. This is a discipline issue. Go download a copy of fitday, track your caloric intake. Limit it to 1800. HARD.

Exercise might be difficult given everything that's going on , but in order to remove the barrier around it, look up "body weight" exercises. Low impact. Don't have to buy anything, and just be smart about how long you do it for (I don't know what triggers your seizures, hence the kiddy gloves here)
>>
>>17159716
It is worth it. There are so many online resources for meditation, from guided meditations that use imagery, to instructional videos on how to begin a seated practice. It does help put structure and order in place especially when thoughts feel scattered.

Mindfulness meditation has also been documented demonstrating lower blood pressure, reinforcing healthy self-image, relieving chronic pain, and increasing a sense of well-being as well as helping regulate sleeping patterns. It does take a disciplined and consistent practice to receive full benefit.
>>
>>17159764
MindfulEatingAnon here

Open a window if you can and it is easier than being outside to have the fresh air. Air inside has less oxygen.

Breathe as much as you want, it is very helpful. 10 breaths after the meal is a great idea. The point is to eat while relaxed so that the body can digest well.

When stressed the digestive system does not function properly. Eating while relaxed helps the digestive system process the meal properly and in turn helps you feel even more relaxed. A more peaceful mind results.

You can turn off the TV to focus on your meal. You may find thoughts arise that are emotionally charged. Pause and breathe. You will get to know the habits of your thoughts the more you practice this.
>>
>>17159764
Med anon again.

Meditation comes in many shapes and sizes. The trick is to find something calming and create a positive experiance around it. Take, for example, this.

https://youtu.be/xQ6xgDI7Whc

That's my goto track when I want to sleep and I've got too much shit on my mind. It's become a conditioned response over the period of a year that when this track olays, I normally fall asleep within 5 to 10 minutes. If I want a great time with it, I do deep controlled breathing for 10 minutes while it plays and then go to sleep (lowers bp, heart rate, gears mind down, normalizes blood oxygen).

Diet is important. Because of your medication , there may be certain foods you might have to avoid more than others due to the seizures (cutting back on foods that may have higher concentration of elements used in nerve impulse polarizations for example). I'd also take a look at what KIND of food you're eating. Fitday will help in tracking your caloric and nutrient intake so you can see how much protein, carbs, and fats you're ingesting. A dietician will tell you that a healthy balance would be more protein than carbs and more carbs than fats. Be smart in how you adjust it.

You mention tv. That was one of the biggest changes I made. No tv. Ever. Granted, that's not much of a sacrifice what with netflix, youtube, torrents , etc...but still, it's a change that allows you an opportunity to fill that time with something else. Like...say...actually improving your cooking skills? It's a good thing to do.
>>
>>17159614

If you survived depression once, you can do it again, find a way to treat it without medication, as you mentioned you can't take any more medication. Follow my green text idea:

> Sleep at night time early.

If you use 12 hour time, sleep at 10pm. If you use 24 hour time, well you know, 22:00 in your time zone.

> You're on medications for a reason.

If you are on medication for a reason, mention what kind. You mentioned epilepsy. Your body diminishes down because your medication can hinder you, if your doctor doesn't want to reduce your medications, try to exercise extremely hard, but don't push yourself WAY too far, you don't want to end up in the ER. IE: If you can go up to 10 miles, then increase it by 2 miles. Go further at your own risk. Make sure you eat healthy and hydrate on the way.

If you feel the need to breathe repeatedly during exercise, then oxygenate your body, don't forget some deep breathes before doing such and after such won't hurt.

> Using gaming to cope.

You can't achieve what I mentioned above by gaming, so throw that out of your reach and restrict yourself from doing that. If you smoke, quit. It won't help you. You'd only give your soul to a company that wants to encourage you to shorten the mortal life you got.

Find what you can accomplish, and refuse to accept discouragement, regardless of the dishonor you're given. It may look hard, but you must break that shell, and find a new route to a better life.

> And no, don't go on Dr.Phil for a case like this, he's a therapist, so don't go on his show. If you're looking for good advice, being on the show takes a long while, being on here takes a short time.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.