[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Personal Time in a relationship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Does it exist?

All I want are a few nights to myself a week, and I'm always made out to be the bad guy in the scenario.

I feel like I used to have a backbone, or at least some respect in the relationship to be able to get what I want, but it's not like that anymore.
>>
Well yeah, if you want time alone, your partner should respect that and give it to you. You shouldn't be expected to shower them in attention 24/7.
>>
>>17133037

>a few nights to myself a week

I can totally understand what you're saying, everyone needs some peace & quiet sometimes, but you ARE asking for too much. You're looking for a fuck-buddy, not a relationship. You can't just expect her to be there when YOU want her, and disappear when you want to be alone.

Try to compromise. Maybe a quiet weekend once a month, rather than several days out of each week. Because at that point, it really just sounds like you don't enjoy her company. Put yourself in her shoes and try to think how it'd feel.
>>
>>17133037

Does your girlfriend not have hobbies of her own/things to do? Because you could try and time your "me" time to when she is busy.

What do you do during your personal time? Are you just really introverted? Because I can relate to not wanting to be around other people all the time. I've made it work with my partner because we're both introverted and don't really need to be hanging out all time. So...maybe you're just incompatible.
>>
>>17133116
She really doesn't have any hobbies. She works, but that's it. I like to play video games, and I do take it quite seriously. I have a team, and we wear headsets, and communicate and I need privacy, or to at least be left alone and undistracted while I play, which isn't very often, because I don't get alone time.

I've tried to support her in past hobbies, and interests, but they faded really quick.
>>
>>17133037

Relationships aren't 24/7/ 365 day a year dates. What sucks is you didn't set the boundaries early or let them wear aware. You're probably going to have to have an argument to get a little time to yourself and then she'll probably resent you and think you don't like her as much anymore.
>>
>>17133135
Been there done that, still don't have any fucking time to myself.
>>
>>17133126

Well yeah, then you're pretty much just spending time with your friends and enjoying one of your hobbies, and any healthy relationship needs space for things like that.

Do you live together? How long has this relationship been going? You shouldn't necessarily have to go to separate apartments just to have an evening to yourself, she can talk to her own friends and find some way to occupy herself for a few hours while you play games. My boyfriend and I live together but we each have our own lives and interests. There has to be balance, it's important to make time for each other, but she can't just demand that you entertain her 24/7. It's too much to ask of anyone.
>>
>>17133150
We don't live together, she lives with her parents still, we've been dating for a good 3 years now.

It never seemed like it was an issue until we started working the same days/times. Or, maybe I'm just out of excuses now that we're on the same schedule and are always "free" at the same time. If I get out of wanting to hang out, and she knows I'm not working or something it's an issue. I can't just want to be alone for some reason.
>>
>>17133160

Have you tried just spending time together without bugging each other? Tell her you've got plans, but she can come over as long as she does her own thing for the night and lets you focus?

I posted both of these:

>>17133090
>>17133150

And your situation's different since you don't live together. But basically, if my boyfriend told me he wanted to get a hotel room 3 nights a week to be alone without me, it'd freak me out, and even if he wasn't cheating or anything it would still be selfish.

But if he tells me he wants to go hang out with his friends for the night, or needs to work on his laptop for a few hours, or just read a book or watch a show I'm not interested in or something like that, it's not a problem. I've got my own friends, my own hobbies and interests and work to do. It can't be every night, but we've been together 5 years and you can't just be glued together at the hip 24/7. There are probably 2 or 3 days a week where we don't really talk except at bedtime
>>
>>17133160
does she have hobbies/friends herself? it sounds like your her source all of social comfort and entertainment. ideally taking 1-2 nights off a week wouldn''t be a big deal, because you know, she'd have her own shit going on.
>>
>>17133160
she's not the right girl for you OP trust me. i have online friends who have wives who let them game all the want and are aware of it and ok with it and it works great for them.

i've personally only had gf's that just can't get it, that either are insulted and make it a competition between my time and spending time with her or who just belittle the value of anything that isn't what she wants to do. you can stay in those situations for the sex and companionship. you can put your foot down and try to force them to change. but reality is its just not going to work out unless you want to be like the other group of friends i have who once they got wifed up they vanished. they only do shit their wife wants to do and you basically only see them for major events.

you sound young, if she can't come over to your place and hang out amusing herself while you game as long as we're not talking every free hour then just tell her that doesn't work for you and bail is honestly where this is headed

if you want pro-relationship advice? try upping your romance-game to trade for having your free time. take her out once a week to some thing she really likes. cook her dinner and have a date night another night a week at your place. if you do that and then you get the same response when you say you want to game with the boys for the night... you can point out that isn't fair to you and you do things with her all the time etc. if she doesn't care or see it that way (which is the result i'd bet on) we're back to, time to bail
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.