[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
help choosing a shrink?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 1430104395400.jpg (81 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1430104395400.jpg
81 KB, 720x720
Does anyone on adv see a psychiatrist or psychologist? I need help deciding which one in my area to go with

There's two females and one male mental health provider within reasonable driving distance that accept my insurance. The male has one rating on vitals and it's 1star. Although he appears to have been a professor at the local university. I'm not sure how I feel about speaking to a male though or if I should pick him just because it makes me uncomfortable.

The females have higher ratings, although one doesn't specialize in what I need help witha(anxiety and depression) the other one lives right up the road from me but it's a small town and she's only a psy so I'm worried about confidentiality. The other two live further away.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17126368
>>17126436

i did when i was younger. my advice is to 'shop around'. a psychiatrist for what you need should be a bit of a life coach.

go in and see one. if they try to throw pills at you, thne they arent going to help you. try to find one that talks through your problems, suggests fixes, and follows up to see if you implemented them.

id take the girl who lives up the road. shes in a small town so if she was telling everyones secrets, everyone would know and she'd get in trouble and not have a high rating, now would she? you cant keep the fact that you didnt keep a secret a secret in a small town.
>>
>>17126466
This. Absolutely. The most important isn't how others rate them (one salty person can do a lot of damage there) or what their official specialty is. If it's someone you're going to share your mind and soul with you want someone you have chemistry with, where you feel they "get" you easily, you are in ways on the same wavelength or at least they can manage getting on yours.

There are A LOT of shitty psychologists. So make a proper screening. Good signs (apart from your gut feeling) are when they listen attentively, ask additional questions or ask for verification. There should be a good balance between the amount of input you give and how much they spin their own story. Be wary when they are extremely quick to diagnose you or people around you - no serious mental health professional would attempt to slap a label on someone after talking for thirty minutes. Talking over corrections you make or brushing off things that you point out as being significant to you are also red flags.
>>
File: brofist.png (19 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
brofist.png
19 KB, 200x200
>>17126466
Rock-solid logic. Cheers, anon
>>
>>17126488
>>17126490

feel like im on a roll today, thanks for the appreciation.

one more thingi d like to add is that you should avoid psychiatrists who mostly tell you to just 'accept' the world as it is. while you cant change everything in life and will have to make peace with how the world itself works, some psychiatrists will simply tell you to accept a problem rather than fix it, and thats no beuno.

good luck!
>>
>>17126488
Thanks, anon- all of that is really helpful and reassuring. It's a little intimidating having never done this before. Please see >>17126490 for pic related

>>17126496
Thanks!
>>
1. Choose a man
2. Choose someone with several decades of experience and good reviews
3. Choose someone who acts pretty alpha
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.