[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Considering going back to uni as a mature age student (22). There's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 750x394) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 750x394
Considering going back to uni as a mature age student (22).
There's hardly any info on any forums about how I would go about applying, could anybody share their experiences of returning to uni and what you changed this time through.
>>
1) 22 isn't a mature age.
2) It's not hard just focus and schedule necessary study time everyday or throughout the week and it's not something that's a problem.
3) You don't know how to apply? The pages that say "apply here", don't give you a clue?
>>
>>17096307
Go to university's admissions department and talk to a councelor. That'll do more to give you the info than anyone here can do
>>
Have a good plan. Know what you want to study. Plan a rough course schedule for all the years you will be there. Study up on summer research programs/internships to apply to. Read up on professors in the program you are applying to. Figure out what they're researching and whether or not you are interested. Find out what books they use for introductory courses and find out BEFORE if you like it or not. As a rule, if you can't find yourself reading that book out of mere interest, you probably shouldn't study it.

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable." - Eisenhower
>>
>>17096353
Not OP,
But how necessary would you say it is to know what course you would like to study? I've been thinking about going to the uni I want to study at to speak with them. I don't know what I would like to do in the end, but I have maybe 3 generic ideas on what I'd like to study.
My problem is though I will need to do a bridging course first which will take six months, and I wanted to use that time to see what I would really enjoy. Which is a slight issue as I haven't been to school in a decade and have forgotten how much I hated everything except math.
24 btw, not that it's really relevant.
>>
>>17096374
Download a couple textbooks for free and start learning some Material. If this ends up being too hard or too boring, it isn't the right field.
>>
What country are you from?

I'm starting uni this september and I'll be 25 before the end of christmas.
>>
>>17096307
Professor writing here.

You apply like anyone else. Order the forms from the website and fill them out. You might want to (but don't have to) say something in the personal statement about how you weren't ready for uni at 18 and have sued the years to maure and get more clear in your motivation.

In the American system you don't have to declare a major field immediately. The first few terms are taken up by required courses and electives that let you explore different subjects before choosing. In the British system you do choose your field from the start, but there is always a possibility of changing it later.

You are FAR from what is generally considered a "mature student" - that usually means someone in their 40s or 50s. You are only a couple of years older than the typical undergrads, and won't feel out of place at all (except that some may seem immature to you.)

Meanwhile, uni isn't just for 18 year olds any more. In the US and many other countries anywhere from 25 to 50% of the students are likely to be your age or older.

(And incidentally, in my experience, "older" students are always among the best - you're more disciplined and motivated than the kids who just go to uni because their friends are going.
>>
I love hearing this, so thank you. I'm 21 and was going to start this Fall but I feel like an old man. Everyone else I know is already starting their lives and are finishing up Uni and I just started.

Oh well, Life isn't some scripted event and we all take it at different paces.
>>
I went to uni at 21. Like >>17096621 says you just apply like everybody else, and make sure you have an answer prepared as to why you took some time out of education.

It's hard going back. You can't really afford to slack off, especially in your first year because (from my experience) you'll be pretty rusty. It might seem like everyone else knows what they're doing and that they have a better background knowledge than you and it's true for the most part. Just don't let it bother you, put in as much effort as you can from the start and you'll be fine. The social aspect is alright as well, no-one knows or cares when you're only a couple of years older and there's probably a lot of people who are also your age or older too.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.