[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I learn to cook for myself? I'm fucking my budget
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: tnsurmigqy.png (44 KB, 658x662) Image search: [Google]
tnsurmigqy.png
44 KB, 658x662
How do I learn to cook for myself? I'm fucking my budget and my belly up with fast food
>>
>>17087714
Youtube videos. Cook what makes you horny. Might as well start here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

I also like jacques pepin and munchies on vice.

Cooking cheap is another matter entirely. Cooking in bulk is the start, but there's a balance with the versatility of ingredients in multiple dishes so you don't go insane that becomes an art. Also means you only have to cook lunch or dinner like twice a week.
>>
>>17087714

There's magical things called cookbooks. There are also other tools, like looking up basic cooking techniques and videos with a computer to learn how. It's like magic, learning about different subjects like that.
>>
File: image.png (326 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
326 KB, 640x360
Like the guys above said, youtube videos and cookbooks. There are lots of Internet sources at your disposal. Don't forget about the cooking shows on TV. Do you have a relative or friend who's good at cooking? Or maybe take a trip with someone to a grocery store if you can and ask questions, and for suggestions.

I don't think there's an easy way to describe "how" to cook. It's a skill; you practice it. You won't be good at first. You'll make a lot of mistakes, but won't get better by avoiding it and not trying. Pick a dish you want to learn how to cook, and practice it. Start off with easy dishes, and then move up to harder ones at your pace. Cooking is a very valuable and useful skill, so I wish you luck.
>>
Internet/Library are your best friends. Just look up cooking on a budget or simple meals--after that it's all about having the right ingredients and you'll be good to go. Be creative!
>>
allrecipies.com has loads of videos and guides and, of course, recipies as well.

Cookbooks are also really useful as >>17087819 and >>17087843 said.

I learned to bake pizza and soft pretzels literally just using the internet.
>>
>>17087863
I'm sure you could ask /ck/ for some advice as well. But be specific for what you're trying to make and mention that you're new to cooking/baking.
>>
File: cooking.gif (493 KB, 500x372) Image search: [Google]
cooking.gif
493 KB, 500x372
All the above but start out making simple dishes and ease into advanced or trickier ones. Maybe get a little meat thermometer so you can make sure you're not under cooking anything when you start out. Don't wanna get sick. You'll eventually get a good feel and timing for things though.

It's definitely worth it and props to you, OP. It's time consuming, but a great skill to have and way tastier and healthier than terrible fast food. After some time you'll be making great dishes. Hell, my favorite part about learning to cook is cooking for others. Always a treat to see peoples faces light up when they dishes I whip up.
>>
>>17087900

you would never fit in on /ck/

(which is a compliment by the way)
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.