[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help going to a funeral wake for the first time. i have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1380313204620.jpg (10 KB, 214x236) Image search: [Google]
1380313204620.jpg
10 KB, 214x236
I need help going to a funeral wake for the first time. i have never been to one and would like to go to this wake. Am i going to have to talk to people? i kindof just want to see the body for a sec to pay my respects and leave right away. would this be rude to do and not stay the whole.ceremony? I don't have any clothes to wear either for this type of occasion.
>>
Depending on the agenda, you should stay the whole time. There are some wakes that are more like a viewing than a funeral, in which case it is acceptable to leave at some point. However, if it is an actual funeral service then you need to stay for the whole thing.

Depending on your relationship to the deceased/the family you aren't expected to say or do much. If a family member/spouse of the deceased says anything to you, say you are sorry for their loss. Most people don't want to talk too in depth at a funeral; they are mostly going through the motions and trying to keep it together.
>>
There are mostly no rules. If you have feelings express them, otherwise "sorry for your loss" .
Lost my wife a month ago. I myself don't expect more unless you were really close.
Maybe different in your country.
You don't even have to go *unless* you're really close.
>>
It depends on the type of service (religious or cultural). If it's just a viewing, then you say "sorry for your loss" to the family and hug/shake hands depending on your relationship. If you aren't close to the family, you really don't have to attend. People will understand. You generally don't have to talk much; just be polite.

If you don't have anything to wear I'd suggest going and getting a pair of dress pants and a decent, collared shirt. Generally you should wear black. If you're really broke, it's generally OK to wear anything half-decent, but just be respectful. Don't wear anything overly flashy, dirty, pajamas, etc.
>>
>>16450409
>>16450462

If you don't have anything black, a dark button up is acceptable. Navy, dark purple, dark green etc. You could try to borrow something from a friend or a relative. If you say its for a funeral most people are happy to help you out.
>>
>>16450421
This is going to be just a wake.
>>
>>16450699
Are they cremating the body afterwards or something?
>>
One tip is to get into a conversation with the funeral home staff. Generally they are more skilled at pretending to be sociable than anyone else there, so they may be more comfortable to talk to, you don't have to worry what they think of you because they're just doing their job, and you'll probably never see them again. And they can direct you to any quiet corners they might have in the funeral home if you want to avoid socializing. A good funeral home sometimes has these small secluded rooms just for people to have more privacy. It's actually quite common for many people at a wake to feel awkward, except maybe the elderly ones because by that age some people have lots of experience attending wakes.
>>
It's good to have a set of formal clothes for in case this kind of occasion comes up, and you can get them cheap at a thrift store.
>>
>>16450699
If they plan to do a service at the wake, then stay until the end of the service. If its just a viewing and socializing, you can leave whenever. I've never been to a wake; I don't know how it differs from a funeral.
>>
>>16450409
implying. i dont want to fuck your mom raw
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.