[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a 27 yo orphan with a capital of little over 5 million
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: lebronzesad.jpg (3 KB, 124x96) Image search: [Google]
lebronzesad.jpg
3 KB, 124x96
I'm a 27 yo orphan with a capital of little over 5 million USD. My parents died when I was young and I was raised by my remaining family. My family took care of me pretty wel and put me in a decent school and I came out fine. I have some good friends and a girlfriend I love with a warm welcoming family. My friends and gf know about my situation and suspect that I have some money, but no one actually knows how much and I would like to keep it that way. I despise the cliché stereotypical lazy fat trustfund children who do nothing, so I did my best not to become one. As a result I am pretty in shape, have a masters degree in engineering and a masters degree in applied mathematics and currently working on a third one in economics, all three from a top 50 university (according to the Times Higher Education World University Ranking). (Part 1/6)
>>
So here's the thing, because of the inheritance, I never really had to worry about working or making money as fast as possible to pay of student loans so I derped around at university. Each time I graduated I just enrolled in a new one without ever thinking about applying for a job. I am not a genious in any regard, so I actually had to work pretty hard which felt good. It felt like I was doing the right thing and achieving something. However it starts to feel empty. I feel old at parties, and what was once exciting feels like an endless repetition after almost a decade of university. All of my friends (even my gf) are working and moving on and it feels like my plan of finding the eternal carefree youth by remaining a student is slowly failing. Time to move on! Here are my options: (Part 2/6)
>>
2) I could start a company. I have had some ideas with friends over the years but all of them turned out to be shit ideas, so I have no idea where to start or how to start. Also I dont like the risk involved. I am pretty much settled for life and I dont like the idea of starting a business which will need heavy investing with the risk of losing everything.
3) I could say fuck it all, take my gf and go travel the world. The downside however is that I already now I have a feeling that I'm slacking, and I'm affraid of becomming a moneyspending lazy trustfundfuck like I described earlier. Also when I would come back a year later, I would still have the same problem to face. Another downside is that my girlfiend loves her job, and I don't want to force her to give that up. (Part 4/6)
>>
1) I could start looking for a job. Given my diploma's and my fairly decent social skills I think it wont be much of a problem and I could actually do good if I wanted to. However it feels pointless to work my ass of for a company and a boss when I dont give a fuck about the money. The upside is that I would live a 'normal' live. One that family and friends approve. It sounds cheesy but I do value their opinion, since one of my priorities is to do the right thing and not alienate from my social circle. (Part 3/6 - fucked up while pasting, im an idiot)
>>
4) A doctorate. I have some interests in which I would like to do research and could possibly turn out to be ideas that can make some money. However, despite all my degrees I am not that into studying (atleast not anymore) and I fear to end up on a little dusty desk spending my days reading literature. The plus side is that I do have some more freedom and I feel like im working to improve myself, not to improve some others business I dont care about. Also it would give me a few more years to decide what to do after that. (Part 5/6)
>>
I'm in need of some life advice and insights. I do not know where to go from here and which choices will lead to which outcomes.
Maybe I should look for a combination of my options, like doing a doctorate and working together (someone with experience on that?). It is not an easy thing to discuss with friends in real life, since I dont want to tell them all about my financial status. Also I noticed that for a lot of people my 'problems' seem like luxury problems (which I realise they are) and instead of actual advice they say things like: 'I wish that was my biggest problem' or 'I would buy a gaming rig and order some hookers'. Therefore all replies are welcome :)! (Part 6/6)
>>
HERE IS ALL THE ADVICE YOU NEED:

DO NOT TELL THEM. DROP YOUR GF AND START LISTENING TO HOW YOUR FAMILY SPEAK TO YOU.

THEY COULD HAVE BEEN USING YOU FOR THE MONEY THIS ENTIRE TIME. LISTEN IN ON THEIR CONVOS WHEN YOU LEAVE THE ROOM.

IM BEING SERIOUS.
>>
Thats the thing. Im not that close with my family anymore and none of my friends/gf knows I have so much money.
>>
Shameless selfbump
>>
>>16448062
Keep it that way. Don't let anyone know you're loaded. Specially the gf.
>>
File: 361285-john-cena-2.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
361285-john-cena-2.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
>>16448014
Better make damn sure
>>
>>16447940

use the money to invest, and start generating a passive income. obviously, that's easier said than done, but you should have no problem with an economics degree.
>>
File: Gf2gm0Il.jpg (56 KB, 640x476) Image search: [Google]
Gf2gm0Il.jpg
56 KB, 640x476
Op, you have been blessed with a special opportunity. Use it to make the world a better place. I know you probably don't have as much money as the five hour energy guy but I would look up what he did and do something similar. Money brings power. Try to make the world a little better with the power you have
>>
>>16448071

Been doing that for years. Money is not the issue, finding a purpose in my life is.

>>16448072

Perhaps, but that is literally easier said than done.
>>
>>16448085
Do you want to do something easy or something worthwhile?
>>
>>16448169

Then what do you suggest I do? Like a concrete idea. Also the guy spend 12 as a monk, I'm not planning on doing that :O
>>
>>16448189
>spend 12 as a monk?
Wut?
I'm not making concrete ideas for you
I'm just saying you've been given a unique opportunity and should use it to make the world a better place.
Get in a position to double your money or so and give some away, or just make a positive change dude
>>
>>16447940
Not to be that guy, but you really should just be dealing with investments for a good long time. Your degrees really aren't particularly useful outside of teaching or making your investments grow or making professional contacts and creating a business.
>>
Become the Batman
>>
>>16448195

Sorry typo, I ment that he lived in an ashram as a monk for 12 years.

>>16448197

I'm not following you a 100%. You suggest I only focus on growing my fortune? And also, why arent my degrees useful? As I see it, because of those I have to option to find an interesting job, which I could actually enjoy and not do it purely for the money..
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 252x200) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 252x200
>>16448199

Thats it. How could I be so blind all this time?
>>
Have you ever considered getting married and having kids?
Also sign a prenup so that you wont get fucked over.
>>
>>16448288

I sure have. Not in the near future tho.
But that still leaves me with one of my 4 choices.
>>
>>16447940
Can I have $10 op?
>>
>>16448308

Sure, whats ur paypal? Also, honestly, are you gonna spend it on weed?
>>
>>16447940
I'd prolly suggest going the job route for a couple years. See how that works out and then get your doctorate later on.
You've been in school too long and your love for it has deteriorated. You need a break. Since you don't care about money try to research companies you'd actually want to work for.
Btw Have you ever traveled anywhere outside your country? If not I'd highly recommend that. Really opens up your eyes to how big the world is.
You ever heard of engineers without borders? It'll give you the opportunity to do good and travel a little.
Sounds like you made a yourself a great life OP. Respect. But since you've been running away from the trust fund stereotype you prolly never learned to let yourself relax and enjoy life. You need to overcome that before you burn yourself out looking for new mountains to climb.
>>
>>16447940
Honestly, sounds like you should start working in a trade for atleast one year, maybe demo/construction, or electrical or hvac work. Just give hard labor a try, it's worthwhile and never boring and you're constantly working. Obviously fags will call it pleb shit or what not but its nothing degrading and if you feel like actually DOING something productive, just try it
>>
>>16447940
Be a bit of a creep, find a person in (medical?) need and help them out financially and watch what it does to those people and in your offtime you make sure you generate some income (through investments or something) to cover your expenses. I dunno, if I had money and nothing to worry about, I'd totally buy myself some happy faces full of tears.
>>
>>16448205
Sorry I wasn't particularly clear, op.

Having the kind of wealth you do and making sure it grows- and I mean REALLY grows- is a full time job. You can hire an accountant (I'm sure you already have one), but their main concern is keeping their job, and that is something that isn't too hard so long as they don't take extreme risks- you have enough capital to weather all but the most turbulent of markets, so they really don't have to do much other than show a lethargic increase every quarter. With the skills you have earned, you can attempt to one-up them- but it's going to be a full time job, filled with research and no small amount of risk(in this case it would be wise to give them the lion's share of your money to avoid the slings and arrows of truly outrageous [mis]fortune and experiment with the remainder).
And yeah, your degrees aren't particularly useful to a third party outside of a classroom(economics, math) or perhaps starting your own business(engineering). You can try to find a job working for someone else, but- and this is just my experience in working with people who have the amount of money you do in the bank waiting for them no matter how well they do at the job they get- it's not going to be particularly satisfying unless you are *truly* passionate about the field.

Also, >>16448478 raises some damn good points. In america at least, there is a real decline among the populace when it comes to trades, possibly due to the rise of the internet. If you are looking for something really neat to do that can make you your own personal money while the money you have grows slowly, a trade is the way to go. Any trade schools in your area?
>>
>>16448478

Thanks for your feedback man, really appreciate it! Perhaps you are right about needing a break from school, ive been in one my whole life. To answer your question with traveling, one of the things I have afforded myself is to go far each time I had the chance (mainly in the summer) and I've been to quite a few places, but i've never been away for longer than a month. Im familiar with concepts of engineers going abroad indeed, that is one very viable option. Although I would like to travel I am not looking to go away for a very long time, since I think it could jinx things with my gf.

>>16448582

Thanks for your reply. Indeed I do have people looking after my money. Those people are trusted private bankers who even knew my parents and have helped me for over 20 years. Do you think I could make a lot more by researching myself?

Also when you guys are talking about trading, do you mean forex trading? Because one of the things im looking in to is combining my knowledge and writing a trading algorithm for a doctorate. That way I am trying to make money, learning about investing and getting my phd at the same time. Maybe I could even combine this by working for/with a bank or something. What do you guys think?
>>
Bumperino
>>
Whatever you do, stay busy and make sure you have some definite goals. It is easy in your situation to just do nothing (or spend it all on drugs and hookers etc) though it seems like you've done well so far.
>>
You already ARE a trustfundfuck on the account that, whenever the next step in your life appears to be something which takes work and effort, you balk from it. See points 1, 2 and 4. The second something challenge presents itself, out come the excuses: "I didn't want it so much anyways, I fear x or y might happen, I don't care about money". So not only you already are the trustfundfuck you feared, you are a LAZY trustfundfuck to boot.

PS: normal people don't have the luxury of earning 3 masters degrees
PS2: 3 masters degrees (which in today's market may as well be the bread-and-butter), 0 jobs and 0 PhDs highlight the aforementioned laziness and aversion to risk and challenges.

Just cruise through life with this money, from your humblebrag you are clearly already satisfied with what you have, yet admittedly you are also too mentally weak to turn those 5 millions into 50, or earn a top position at a top company.
>>
can i get $56 AUD op or anything, just to pay the rent.

also its been said but dont let anyone know you are loaded you seem smart enough for that though so i guess youll be fine. you could start charities as long as the money keeps rolling in. i would personally become a supervillian but hey thats just me and why im short on rent so it's youre move
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.