[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Taking a semester off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
Has anyone ever taken a semester off from school before? What was it like?
I'm supposed to register for my next semester, first semester of junior year, next week but I still have absolutely no clue what I want to major in, what kind of career I want, or what I even see myself doing.
Everything is moving so fast, I feel like I need to just stop for a minute and think of a plan before moving forward. But I'm also afraid that I might be wasting too much time if I take a whole semester off just to think about what I even want to study.

I tried Computer Science so I can because a code monkey but I'm absolute shit at math so I decided against it
I thought about teaching history but that job is almost impossible to get and not to mention the liberal arts field is not a field I want to be in. I'm also very socially inept and anxious and don't think I can pull off a job that requires me to speak in front of crowds
>>
>>17014173
I'm am in exactly the same boat. I have no idea what to do with my life. Fuck my life anons.
>>
>>17014186
Is this it for us, anon?
Is this how people become NEETs?
>>
I'm in a similar boat. I got a very decent job (for my age) in the IT field at a big company and took a semester off of school. (I'm really enjoying only having to work and not deal with homework and shit) I only had about a year in and I really don't want to go back. I was just doing enough to get by in the classes and failed calculus twice and said fuck it.

I will go back for sure but I want to make sure I'm ready so I'm not wasting anymore time and money. If your head isn't in it OP, take some time to think it out and make a solid decision before you go back. Have a goal you can work toward (getting your degree in a field where you actually want to work) I will be exploring the different teams to see what I have an interest in and will go back to school and focus on that. A lot of people in my field do not have very specific degrees. Just general computer degree but in a highly technical job. Take what you want from this but it's long enough, hopeful my two cents can give you some insight and point you in the right direction.
>>
>>17014215
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it!
>>
Have a goal and strive for it. That's pretty much it.
>>
>>17014173
Professor writing here.

That is a real option, and I have seen many students benefit from getting away from the rat race to be able to think clearly for a while.

I have also seen many students who wasted the time off just goofing off and came back - or stayed away permanently - no better off.

It might help your thinking - with or without the time off - if you stopped thinking in terms of a job, and started considering what might be most interesting/enjoyable to spend the next two years immersing yourself in.

There are no majors that absolutely guarantee employment, and there are no majors so useless that a bright and ambitious graduate can't find a job somewhere.

(Put more cynically, if you're going to be unemployable when you graduate anyway, you might as well study something you like)

There is a corporate HR person who replies on this board sometimes, who insists that his company and others are less interested in an applicant's major than in the sense they get that he/she will be of value to the company as a person.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.