[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Careers in maths
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 734523312.jpg (77 KB, 360x600) Image search: [Google]
734523312.jpg
77 KB, 360x600
Hey /adv
I have a friend that's studying math at uni/college however he's a unsure about career options seeing as the only ones he knows of are research and teaching
He doesn't want to go into engineering cause he believes that is the main job of people who are half good at maths
Any advice you can give him /adv?
pic unrelated
>>
File: 1450872676286.png (188 KB, 992x680) Image search: [Google]
1450872676286.png
188 KB, 992x680
>>16998724
Go for it.
I mean if he is serious and not just do math because it sounds cool then this is the site he should be spending time on instead of wasting his time on 4chan

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/tagged/soft-question?sort=votes&pageSize=15

This specific tag caters to your type of question.

And then when he is mature enough (i.e. people start paying him to do math) go to this site

http://mathoverflow.net/questions/2358/most-harmful-heuristic/2370#2370

Good luck and don;t come back.
>>
>>16998724
without going into the 'math phd, any job you want, 100kk salary starting out' meme, there are a number of opportunities open.
financial shit is what pays the best, then it's comp sci, and there are doors open for enterpereurship too. just, don't ever expect an 'easy' jig like a code monkey, he's training to be the one that makes and understands models, he's going to be the one that exploits them to make shiploads of money for his employer. if he can't do that, his degree is worthless.

engineering will, on average, have a more structured career path, and pay more consistently. but, he'll be an engie, and that's a big hit on quality of life, one you can never really recover from.
>>
>>16998724
actuary
banking
finance
stocks and bonds
accounting
>>
Finance will take him.
>>
>>16998724
Please. Engineers are far more vital to the economy than mathematicians and they make way more money as a result.
>>
>Stats major
>Want to do environmental analysis/consulting
>my 3 options are adding a math major (fucking hard) adding cs minor (less hard) or a geology/environmental science minor (easy, but possibly useless)
Should I shoot for something that will make me useful for everyone and hope I can get my dream job or just go straight for what I want to do?
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.