[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books wich make you smarter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
6 KB, 183x275
So hey /adv/, I wanted to make a little what to read advice thread here

>books should be useful for life
>should be available at least in english
>should be useful for anyone to read
>can be any kind of genre, about psychology, self help, meditation or something else
>shouldn't be novels in first case, but we shouldn't be so strict about that, so if you think Hesses Siddhartha brings you further why not
>post name AND author of course
>give reasons for reading this book and a little overview whats it about
>if possible post picture of cover

In other words: books making you a badass, awesome, smart, whatever person!

Also, post request what kind of book you are searching for!

So I'll start with this:
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahnemann
Awesome book on general psychology of the brain and human rationality and irrationality, shows you what general mistakes everyone makes with simple decision making...
Useful for ANYONE to read, but especially if you are interested in Psychology, Economics, Statistics and stuff like that.

So I'm searching for a book explaining the perfect learning techniques to me, I really learn a lot during semester for my exams, yet I only past half of them last term. I really really need to work that out, if I don't pass at least 5 exams next semester it's over! I've read "A mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley so far. Highly recommended!
>>
Books don't make you smarter. Reading a single book doesn't, either.

Habits do that. If you read anything regularly, you'll develop a larger vocabulary. Reading books, in a subject you're interested in, will translate into intelligence.

The cursory books that are self help or philosophy don't actually make you more intelligent. If you read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle maintenance and then try to have a conversation with a Philosopher about them, you'll probably never know that they shook their head and laughed once you parted.

-

Of course, it's all just my opinion. I've read more than many, but I don't believe my knowledge of WWI naval history makes me a more intelligent person. It has gotten me a job, though. You never know who will be interested in the nuance of life that you are.

-

Also, Goodreads.

Also, scholar.google.com for specific topics. If you find a paper on a subject, your public library or university may have it in the databases that they're subscribed to. For example, "learning techniques note taking" has interesting articles. For most up to date research, click since 2016.

Enjoy.
>>
An unrelentingly tedious book that can be summed up as follows. We are irrationally prone to jump to conclusions based on rule-of-thumb shortcuts to actual reasoning, and in reliance on bad evidence, even though we have the capacity to think our way to better conclusions. But we're lazy, so we don't. We don't understand statistics, and if we did, we'd be more cautious in our judgments, and less prone to think highly of our own skill at judging probabilities and outcomes. Life not only is uncertain, we cannot understand it systemically, and luck has just as much to do with what happens to us -- maybe even more -- than we care to admit. When in doubt, rely on an algorithm, because it's more accurate than your best guess or some expert's opinion. Above all, determine the baseline before you come to any decisions.

If you like endless -- and I mean endless -- algebraic word problems and circuitous anecdotes about everything from the author's dead friend Amos to his stint with the Israeli Air Defense Force, if you like slow-paced, rambling explanations that rarely summarize a conclusion, if your idea of a hot date is to talk Bayesian theory with a clinical psychologist or an economist, then this book is for you, who are likely a highly specialized academically-inclined person. Perhaps you are even a blast at parties, I don't know.

But if you're like me and you prefer authors to cut to the chase, make their point, and then leave you with a whopping big appendix if you're interested in the regression analysis of how many freshmen would watch a guy choke to death because they think someone else will come to the rescue, then this book is not for you.

If you want to take the Reader's Digest pass through the book, then Chapter 1 and Section 3 are probably the most accessible and can be read in less than an hour, and still leave you with a fair understanding of the author's thesis.
>>
>>17004324
Good advice, especially the scholar.google.com part. People act like studies aren't there for us or you need a degree to read them. No, lol, they're simpler, more informative, and easier to read than wikipedia a lot of the time. You can find the full study free a lot of the time too, or just use a pirate site
>>
>>17004282
I'll contribute a couple:

The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

http://www.naveedkashif.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/The-48-Laws-of-Power.pdf

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Matthews

I don't have a PDF of this one, I would suggest this to any male and its counterpart Thinner Leaner Stronger to any female because it so clearly outlines the direct and indirect factors of attaining body goals through strength training, the most effective way of altering one's body composition. I believe this to be one of the most useful books I have ever read simply because strength training has become such an integral part of my life. In the same vein I also suggest Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe because it describes the exact technique and form used in the primary lifts. A simple way of describing the differences between the two is that BLS/TLS is essentially the instruction manual to what you do outside of the gym, SS is what you do in the gym.
>>
>>17004324
yeah I get your point, maybe the thread name is not perfect, so let's say just interesting books...
But let me correct you: reading a book about WWI of course won't make you more intelligent, because that's just a hitorical topic, where as books like thinking fast and slow can change your thinking process or your decision making for the positiv! As well, talking about Zen books, they can change your life for the better because it is something much more deeper and not just historical like WWI...

thank you for the scholar advice, sounds very useful, I will check that out!
>>
>>17004429
no, not at all, I like it most when it's easy to read, especially if it's in english because I am not a nativ speaker!

And I don't know the reason why you mentioned me on a party, but I think I am a pretty avarege guy... Does the fact that I'm reading such a book lead to other conclusions?
>>
>>17004282
>wich
Grade school Grammer textbook and a dictionary
>>
>>17004282
>I really learn a lot during semester for my exams, yet I only past half of them last term
it seems this book clearly doesn't work as you think.
>>
>>17004324

> Books don't make you smarter. Reading a single book doesn't, either.

Nobody likes a smart-ass, we all know what OP meant.
>>
Sun Tsu's Art of War.

I use the things I learned in it every single day in life and in business. The man was a 5th century Chinese general discussing strategy. It applies to so many things. It's really genius.
>>
The best book I've read to better manipulation skills and workspace relationships
>>
>>17006039
The title seems gimmicky as fuck, but first impressions are crucial to how relationships play out, so I can understand why it might not be.

How has it helped you? If you could give some examples then I'd appreciate it.
>>
>>17006048
>needing a book to interact

I don't think you're ironically autistic
>>
>>17006050
>Implying that being curious about something is the same thing as needing something in my life

>inb4 replying to obvious bait
>>
Any of the Freakonomics books. Anything by John Stossel. They will make you look at everything differently. They're very easy reads because of the way they're structured and they cover a broad range.
>>
>>17006060
That was worth the giggle
>>
Wild trees, about the redwoods
>>
>>17004282
I'm looking for a (free) pdf version of Vakil's a mathematical mosaic, where can I get it ?
Most of the pdf search engines I know return empty. A pity since the book is a master piece.
>>
OP says Books that make you smarter, but it's not that simple. There are nine types of intelligence, and unfortunately they are not all compatible in the same brain. One topic may be beneficial to some, but harmful to others.
For example, take an otherwise intelligent child, and force math on them. There's no fixing that. You've damaged them for life.

Get them tested, and find their intelligence, before you just start throwing monkey wrenches into the machinery.
>>
>>17006066
I liked until it suddenly became "Why women have to wear Burkas, the book"
>>
File: 1457851330062.jpg (36 KB, 500x248) Image search: [Google]
1457851330062.jpg
36 KB, 500x248
>>17006089
>take an otherwise intelligent child, and force math on them. There's no fixing that. You've damaged them for life.

kek I doubt any normal person can be damaged by mathematics, even with bad teaching. If the kid actually develops a phobia then he probably needs special ed anyway.
>>
>>17006089
We need that Harry potter talking hat
>>
>>17004429
>The 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene

I second this. While I don't support using the advice in his book for evil purposes, it's very useful in helping you become aware of people who are trying to take advantage of you.
>>
>>17006142
What he is saying is that he believes that it is important to determine where a child's intellectual talents lie (based on Gardners multiple intelligence theory, however there are only eight different intelligences, instead of nine, since existential intelligence is the ninth, and whether or not it is something that can actually be measured is heavily debatable) before trying to get them to work harder on something else. Many overbearing and strict parents have a tendency to force their children to focus on academics rather than their social skills and feelings, which could possibly damage them as an individual.

By determining what a child's strongest intellectual abilities lie and encouraging them to develop those even further, then it will cause them to be more inclined to succeed and do well, instead of frustrated and confused with their lack of talent in something that they are not as talented in mentally.

By forcing a child to struggle with math when his talents lie in his interpersonal skills or linguistic abilities, they are more likely to be proficient in mathematics, but forcing a child to struggle with something that they are not good at will likely damage their self-esteem and confidence, especially if they are compared to other peers that are more talented in that area.

However, I do not agree with his logic, since it is based on one theory regarding intelligence, and one method of parenting. He not saying that math alone is what damages childtren, or at least I don't think so.

However there is the possibility that he's just talking out of his ass and his post had no sense of logical progression whatsoever.
>>
>>17006142
Let's assume that you quoted my post because you were offended by what I said.
Then we'll assume that you were offended, because you studied mathematics, or think you are good at math.
Then we'll assume that you chose to post that image, because you thought it makes fun of people who are bad at math.
Do you know why you thought that image had something to do with math?
Let's assume you don't, and I won't tell you the answer, because that would just be mean and hurtful. Instead, i'll give you the opportunity to figure it out on your own. k
>>
File: microwave.jpg (182 KB, 1319x987) Image search: [Google]
microwave.jpg
182 KB, 1319x987
>>17006142

1)at a greater depth the density is increased due to pressure from the weight in the column, thus reducing the volume in the taller container.

2)larger diameter container has more surface area allowing faster evaporation, the shorter container will soon have less volume than the tall one.
>>
Leaves of Grass, Walt Whitman. Emerson, The American Scholar.
>>
Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn

Lose weight, lower cholesterol, significantly reduce the risk of disease, and become physically fit--in just 4 weeks
>>
File: 1448478040515.png (27 KB, 1210x1087) Image search: [Google]
1448478040515.png
27 KB, 1210x1087
>>17006288
>>17006358
kek didn't expect that random image has this impact on you, try to analyze this one.
but yeah, regardless of how very propositional you try to sound, I think you are overreacting with how a child can be 'damaged' by teaching of a subject like mathematics and being oversensitive with my throwaway remark. Either that or you are projecting from your own experience.
>>
I want to improve my chances in the dating scene and actually have a chance of getting a gf so i need a book centered around manipulating and social engineering
Most books on social engineering ive seen only deal with e-mail cons and not really the social aspect of manipulating

Any tips would be appreciated
>>
Every piece of shit on 4chan should read Modles, How to Attract Women Through Honesty. - Mark Manson.

Great book on dating and being honest with yourself and women. Quit being a cuck
>>
>>17006984
>reading books on getting women

kek
>>
>>17005855
Thanks dude, some of them missing the point, we even got grammar Nazis over here
>>
>>17005570
As I said, I am not a native speaker...
But I hope you feel better now, congrats!
>>
>>17005570
>calling someone out for a spelling mistake
>Grammer
>>
>>17007032
Well, I am not a really a fan of this PUA stuff, but if you are not a as they say "natural" and are very introverted, it can help you to feel more comfortable in pupblic and this will make you more attractive for others, moreover there is nothing wrong at for example working on your body language, this will help you in any way, it's just good for yourself, for business and your interaction with others, no matter if you are talking to a man or a woman...
Problem with PUA books is that there is so much rubbish on the market, so you can easily get useless Information and waste your time with it...

If you find the right books it can be very helpful!!!
>>
>>17006977
If you are searching for PUA stuff about manipulating others you are missing the point, I mentioned that down below that there is a lot of crap in the PUA market... What anon mentioned here, "how to attract woman by honesty " sounds way more interesting, haven't read this but I will take a look.
I can't name you any books on that, but you should check out the Art of Charme Podcast, there you'll find a lot of useful stuff on that!
>>
>>17005693
Well at least a little, the Year before I didn't pass any exams!
>>
>>17007184
I dont like the PUA scene, its mostly about manipulating a very slim niche type of girl and mostly for just sex
I want a gf so i need to be more tricky in order to make a girl want to stay
Ive read into some techniques and i intend to practice to make it perfect so i can get what i want out of life
Thanks for the tip, ill google it and find out more
>>
Effective C++
Effective STL
More Effective C++
Modern C++ Design
C++ Concurrency in Action
Effective Modern C++
>>
Opinions on How to win friends and influence people?
>>
>>17007256
Awesome book, it's like a Bible in the business scene. A lot of people complain that it's way to old, i think there is even a rewritten version of it, but I have read likd 80 pages of the old one so far and I liked it very much...

What I didn't like that much was the 7 habits of highly effective people, I have to say I am only 22 years old and it had a lot of stuff and the first pages like how to raise your children or how to treat your colleagues so I put it away,cause I don't need to figure out stuff like that, im still in University and have to get the general shit together, im not even working yet...

Is it worth reading till the end? Will the Style of writing change at some point?
>>
>>17007276
>Is it worth reading till the end? Will the Style of writing change at some point?
I dont know, I have the hardcopy for years but never started.
>>
File: images.jpg (34 KB, 259x400) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
34 KB, 259x400
>>17006256
>By determining what a child's strongest intellectual abilities lie and encouraging them to develop those even further.

WHY?

One of my child's limbs is much larger than the others. I should encourage him to focus his workout on developing that limb to be the best freak the world has ever seen

Why not workout the other limbs, to help them be more well rounded?

No two brains are alike, they develop in seemingly random ways, as far as science chooses to investigate.

In ancient times, they began noticing differences in people who were born at different times of the year. Suggesting that the position of the planets at the time of birth had an impact on that persons destiny.
What is gravity really does affect a developing fetus' brain? Or solar radiation variation throughout the year?
Something causes one area of the brain to develop better than others, or has a negative impact on parts.

whether or not we will ever understand the science behind it, it's pretty clear that we aren't giving enough thought to making babies.

People often chose a mate based on looks, without considering genetic compatibility whatsoever. Maybe their personality type plays a part in their choosing of a mate, but were they thinking about their offspring, or was it more of a selfish decision.
With the divorce rate as high as it is, and so many people struggling to find love, we are doing something wrong, and that needs to change.

Self improvement begins with knowing yourself.

Linda Goodman's book: Sun Signs
>>
>>17007300
Well said my friend
>>
>>17007234
>PUA is mostly about manipulating

PUA is about building confidence.
Intended for the clueless guy. To show him what is possible, if he just tries. Overcoming the fear of rejection, feelings of inadequacy, etc.
It's not instructions, saying do this. It's saying you could do this if you had more confidence, not that you need to take it to any extreme.
The point is you will always fail, if you don't try.

You don't literally have to sleep with a girl you pickup at a bar. You can thank her for the drink, say goodnight, walk away, and still count it as a win. You gained confidence from the experience.
After practicing on inebriated women, later chapters take it to the next level. Approaching sober women. More meaningful relationships.
>>
>>17007343
My confidence is gold and i dont care much about rejection so thats not the problem
My problem is i cant really find out what women want, to fix this i need to manipulate em into staying and tricking them into believeing that staying is what they want

Just talking to girls doesnt solve the problem, you need em to do something they dont want and you cant do that by just talking normally
>>
>>17007366
So if I get this right you should work on reading the body language of girls!
There is good PUA stuff about that, (like I said in AOC for example, just search for reading bodylanguage, but I'd rather read some scientifical books about that!
Read any book of Paul Ekman, he's an psychologist, he's like the pioneer in study of emotions!
>>
>>17007366
Oh and again, no need of manipulating them if you do it right
>>
>>17007366
But even if you think the right way is manipulating them, there's plenty of stuff in his books about that!
>>
>>17007388
That sounds interesting, always fun to be able to read the body language of people but i still am at a loss because just reading isnt what i want
if i meet a girl i like i want sex/relationship with her, to get this i must find a way to make it happen and there is where i fail
I can talk to girls no prob, interact with em anywhere and anyhow but its not enough

I face the problem of making her do something she does not want to do, and i must make her think its something she wants.
Hence manipulating is probably the right way to go, i mean if you think im wrong then ill swap paths but i dont know what else to do
>>
>>17004282
fundamentals of calculus I-III
>>
>>17007366
>>17007400
>>17007392
> manipulating them

I hate to say it, but it's true. Women don't know what they want. The whole appeal of the "bad boy" is that he tells her what to do.

He doesn't say "I got you these flowers, do you want to get coffee?" He says "here, you're gonna need this" and he hands her a coffee. Then he tells her "start sucking"

Ladies, don't get mad at me exposing your easily manipulated weaknesses. I'm saying these things for your own good. You can't help it that you have a hard time making decisions, and sometimes is just easier to be told what to do, than frustrate yourself trying to use logic.

I personally don't manipulate women, you can ask any one of them and they will tell you it was their idea. They wanted to suck my cock, and it was thoughtful of me to buy them a coffee.

asking a girl out is just insane. that sets all kinds of gears and dohickies spinning in her head, and could start a fire.

Plain and simple, you tell her she's going out with you. This isn't manipulation, she just wasn't aware until you told her.
>>
>>17007442
>Plain and simple, you tell her she's going out with you. This isn't manipulation, she just wasn't aware until you told her.
Well you need to be more subtle than that
If you just up and tell her to go out with you, she says no and calls you a creep
There is a book that i cant name right now that might be good for finding a relationship, its that "How to build a cult" book where diffrent steps in the process are shown

Might take a long time but hey, getting a gf is hard work and would take a shitlong time no matter what tricks you use
>>
File: life changer.jpg (10 KB, 179x282) Image search: [Google]
life changer.jpg
10 KB, 179x282
>>17004282
This.
It will change your life and tge way you view at things.
It will give your life more meaning as it has given me.
Dont be judgemental and give it a chance one day.
>>
>>17007454
Do or do not, there is no try.

you might think you're confident, but it sounds like you need to work on it some more.

you have to believe you are a god to have a cult
you don't have to convince others, only yourself
once you believe, others will worship
>>
>>17007459
I may read it one day, but not to become a Muslim... I accept your advice but please, let's just keep the thread as it is and not discuss about wich religion is the right one. Thanks!
>>
>>17007467
Im working on it every day, but having the tools to get what i want would make it easier
Thanks man
>>
>>17006032
Kill yourself.
>>
File: jihad.jpg (2 KB, 71x97) Image search: [Google]
jihad.jpg
2 KB, 71x97
>>17007459

Civilized human beings don't need your fucked up perverted version of Judaism. But don't blow yourself up over it, monkey. And maybe learn to accept and love toilet paper. Your left hand is NOT a suitable substitute.
>>
>>17004282
How we learn
Benedict Carey

goes through the history of research in the field of learning and explains which methods work best and why.
>>
>>17007495
Like I said, please don't start arguing here about wheter the Islam is shit or not, that's not the topic!
>>
>>17007504
Will check that out thanks
>>
>>17007442
DON'T take this bait we don't need more men who act like this
>>
>>17007533
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vae0D4n3O8
>>
>>17007557
Ohhh god here we go...
>>
>>17007549
The reason men act a certain way is because it works
If being kind and civil to girls would land you a girlfriend then 90% of men would be kind and civil to women
>>
>>17007598
The reason boys act a certain way, is because they were raised by women. It takes a lot of work to become a Man, if you weren't raised by a Man.

I'll never forget when I was 9 years old, my Father said. "I don't know what I'm doing, Son"
His Father, had been killed when he was very young. He was raised by his Mother. He didn't know how to be a Father. 9 years old, and I had to teach my Father how to be a Man.
Before that I just looked at him as a bad example, and wanted to do the opposite of everything he did. But then I learned the right way, and figured out it wasn't too late for him to learn. I took my father camping, hunting, and taught him how to fish. Made him buy me a car when I was 10, so I could teach him more guy stuff. Taught him how to build a house.
You can't teach a Mother how to be a Man.
A Mother can't teach a Son to be a Man.

Women are SO dependent on Men. And they should be. Women are vulnerable, they need protection. They need guidance.

All Men are not created equal. All Women are not created equal. And Men and Women are certainly not created the same.
>>
https://alvarodalcanton.wordpress.com/2013/03/13/book-summary-men-are-from-mars-women-are-from-venus/
>>
How to Grow Mushrooms: Grow Your Own Mushrooms Garden Guide by Esme Coriander
>>
>>17007786
That is so true
>>
How to Say No and Keep Your Friends by Sharon Scott
proven effective skills for dealing with all kinds of negative peer pressure.
>>
Think and Grow Rich
>>
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.