[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I'm wanting to do something every day to become extremely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1433555986104.jpg (86 KB, 600x833) Image search: [Google]
1433555986104.jpg
86 KB, 600x833
If I'm wanting to do something every day to become extremely proficient at it, how many hours a day is ideal to spend on said thing?

I was going to shoot for 3 hours but I don't know if that's too much or unrealistic.

I'm wanting to become more proficient at math and basically go through the entire catalog of math options availible at Khan Academy so that I can place into really high level math courses for college. As it stands I currently suck ass at math and placed into the second lowest course offered at my college. A lot of pre reqs require me to have at least an intermediate level which is two courses worth in order to get to that point. I just want to place right into that course or ideally an even higher course and circumvent the whole thing
>>
Silly question honestly. It's entirely dependent on the person. The best answer for you is to stop thinking about it and just do it. Set up something reasonable. I'd say you need an hour minimum a day, and deviate once you know how much you need. Don't start off trying to jog a year of material into 2 days.

You're not going to benefit from it. You're going to quickly forget everything you memorized. You're going to not retain nearly as much. Take it slower if you have to.

Especially with something like math, take it in steps and give yourself practice problems to do daily. Rather than setting time per day, try to set LEARNING GOALS. If you hit that learning goal early, do practice problems til you have mastery.
>>
>>
>>16996962

depends what you are doing. stephen king insists you have to write or read for 4 hours a day to be any good at it.

as far as math goes, take the classes, and learn. then go an extra half hour to reaffirm everything in your mind. but if therei s a course you dont need to do anything more than get an A to get good at it.
>>
>>16996962
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
>>
Practice everyday for about 2-3 hours. I would recommend you spend a lot of time practicing the fundamentals (algebra, trig) as they become very essential in the higher lvl math (calculus). You will get stuck a lot on problem but don't let that discourage you, as long as you have the motivation to learn I have no doubt you will be successful in achieving your goal.
>>
>>16997352
Do you even know how math works?
>>
>>16996962
I play CS:GO 5 hours a day and I'm still garbage at it.
But you can try whatever you want.
>>
>>16997945
Sure, 2 + 2 = 4
>>
>>16998049

There's a difference between playing and practicing, idiot.

There's a difference between play and practice in musicianship, in everything.

Practicing and getting better/learning is NOT play. Play comes after practice to reenact what was learned.
>>
>>16998106
I'm pretty sure most musicians would disagree with that, but I get what you're saying. No need to be so hostile.
>>
>>16998111
>I'm pretty sure most musicians would disagree with that

You want to scrub out of CS:GO, fine.

You want to get nowhere or spend 20 years just to be semi-competent with guitar, fine.

But if you want to get good at something, you have to practice each step so that you can add it all together and it'll come out right.

That's all there is to getting good quickly and being the best.

If you can't excel, the failure is in your hands.

GIT GUD FGT
>>
>he doesn't know the 10,000 hour rule
>>
>>16998133
>>16998133
Sure. Play an A chord for 10,000 hours straight. Lets see you play arpeggios.

Run mindlessly around a CS:GO map with bad crosshair placement and no prefire practice for 10,000 hours. Lets see you get headshots as an entry fragger.

Play with subpar hand keyboard and mouse placement in starcraft for 10,000 hours, and ignore all the hotkey buttons and practicing each separate skill involved in playing the game. Lets see you make more than diamond league.

10,000 hours jacking off will not get you anywhere.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.