[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/ I want to do a painting/drawing of pic related (without
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8
File: gud.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
gud.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Hi /adv/

I want to do a painting/drawing of pic related (without the trash ofc).
I only have 'til monday to do so, the problem is I have absolutely no skill in painting/drawing... Any advices to make it look good ?
>>
File: 1423180073886.jpg (28 KB, 325x214) Image search: [Google]
1423180073886.jpg
28 KB, 325x214
>>16980959
1) use a projector
2) have it printed out on acetate at a copy shop.
3) regular tracing - very carefully and ideally against a light source (pinned to a window)

Then use what little talent you have to fill in with colour diligently and slowly.

why u wanna do this anon?
>>
>>16980965
Oh yeah - how much money u wanna spend?
>>
>>16980959
Try doing the grid method.
Print the picture out (kinda big) and use a pen and ruler to divide it into sections like this.

Then get your canvas and make the same grid- but make it proportionate (like if the paper is smaller than your canvas, make sure the ratio of your boxes is the same).

Then, go box by box and copy the color/light values of each little square to its corresponding square. DO NOT look at the big picture and what you "think" it should look like- copy exactly what you see.
If you do t correctly, then it will look just like the original photograph. When you're done, you can go back and add little things or make small adjustments if something looks off- but the key to this method is that you have to trust what you see and copy it exactly at first
>>
>>16980965
The grill I like and I spent hours on that spot and I want to offer her the drawing for her birthday (since she loves drawing)
May sound kinda cringy but idgaf

>>16980988
Best way for beginners ?
>>
>>16981020
>Best way for beginners
It's what I was taught in my first art class.
You don't need to have any talent for this to work- you just need to follow the directions very closely. Look up the grid method of you need more info. Also sometimes called the grid transfer method.

The only thing is that it takes a lot of time. But painting in general takes a lot of time. You should start right away. If you need more time tell her that it's almost finished and that you want it to be perfect when you give it to her
>>
File: gud her&I added.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
gud her&I added.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>16981027
My final goal is to add her and I in the drawing (as pic related) with her head resting on my shoulder... How can I draw this without fucking the whole thing up ?
>>
>>16981064
This will be hard since the lighting and stuff has a big impact.

The only thing that you can do is Find a picture on the internet that is exactly what you're looking for and use it as a reference.
Don't just try to picture it in your head or you will fuck up
>>
File: happy-birthday-ross_o_855228.jpg (89 KB, 738x582) Image search: [Google]
happy-birthday-ross_o_855228.jpg
89 KB, 738x582
>>16980959
>use pastels (oil based crayon looking things)
>put light on top dark
>blend and smudge, keep it kinda sharp with the leaves
>use grid method

Oh and watch some Bob Ross tutorials kek
>>
>>16981078
>lighting and stuff has a big impact
What if I do a pencil drawing ? Would it be easier ?

>Find a picture on the internet
only pic I found is this one, but not what I am looking for

>>16981120
What's the benefit of using pastels ? Is it easier ?
>>
>>16981127
Yeah then I just wouldn't.
It will look noticably different.

Maybe finish the painting and then go over to the art board and ask someone to sketch what you want and then just copy it over on to your actual painting
>>
>>16981169
Yeah having the thing colored will have a bigger impact imo
>>
>>16980959
OP I don't think you can make something good
Try a more sentimental approach of the painting : you will not succeed in drawing a proper painting HOWEVER as you want to offer it you should accentuate the fact that you two spent a great moment there.
It doesn't matter how it will look, just draw something quick (don't spend 3 days on it) and add some colours and it's gg
>>
>>16981127
Idk if pastels are easier, since I've always had an affinity for art. All I know is that they introduced them to us in gradeschool, so I suppose it's somewhat easy. It's almost like a messy Crayola. I think I've used better pastels in school though, because the last piece I've done looked like shit because it would not smudge for me and that was what I'm into. It gets pretty messy too. Flakes everywhere.

You could pull it off using watercolor and maybe a thicker paint for the sharp points.

Just remember to take your time. You don't want to fuck it up by hurrying yourself, trust me. Put your full attention into each segment and take small breaks often.

If you're worried about putting yourself and your girl in the the painting, I would make the painting into a night scene with fireflies. Which are easy to do and you could just paint your forms in shadow. Maybe a little color for your clothes and hair. But that's just me, you'd come up with ideas on your own, I'm sure.
>>
make a scaled grid, do it square by square
>>
File: Duro.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
Duro.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>16980988
>>16981951
So tried the grid method, think it works pretty well. Only have some troubles with the tree, don't know how to add that many leaves without making a mess.
>>
File: shittyexample.png (9 KB, 845x612) Image search: [Google]
shittyexample.png
9 KB, 845x612
Here's what I suggest:

Use the grid method to get the pencil line art down. Go over the line art with a waterproof Faber Castel tiny marker thing. Then just color it in with watercolors. Try to think about shading either with your marker thing or the paint, but don't worry about it too much. Also don't worry about being inside the lines too much. Go for stylized.
In areas where you're going to have trouble keeping colors separate, use masking fluid.
Also, draw the leaves like pic related, then decide if you actually want to color in each one, or just do a wider watercolor stroke over each branch.
>>
File: almost done.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
almost done.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
So here's the "finished" sketch
What I'll need to do now :
>learn to draw proper weeping trees
>colour the whole thing

I'm thinking about using watercolours, seems like the simplest way to do the job
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.