[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Religion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 750x778) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 750x778
I grew up in a catholic family, but we were never really hardcore religion junkies. On a scale from 1 to 10 we are like a 2 maybe 2.5. We don't even go to church. Lately, I've been thinking about what really comes after we die, thus making me think of religion. I looked at the 10 commandments, and I've already broken like 2 of them, by stealing and lying. Honestly I'm looking at them, and even if I go to confessions, there's no way I can go through life without lying or stealing (appearantly if you do something unhonest to someone, it's co suffered stealing since you're stealing their trust). I want to believe in God and Catholisism, but there are some parts of the bible that I've read and thought "really? Like seriously? Cmon." I don't want to be denied at the gates, but I don't know about religion. Is Catholisism real, like I grew up believing? Or do we just die and see all blackness, like science suggests? Maybe I should be Jewish? Or an atheist? I don't know, I have a feeling I'm gonna die young (im 17) and I don't want this to be something I die being unsure of. Thanks, sorry for the length.
>>
Catholisism is not based 100% on the bible, Roman Catholisism is sort of a spin off from Roman Paganism, where they adore different gods for different problems, instead in catholisim they do it with saints.

So many have looked and looked into the bible not finding anything fucking interesting and then becoming protestants just because they did not get this point.

Catholisism is not a dead religion, every single word form every single saint is "the word of god". A lot of catholic believes are based on Aristotle and Socrates and Plato. Read "The Repulic" from Plato and "Nichomaquean Ethics" from Aristotle, and find in them the seven sins that the catholic church teaches you to respect.
>>
Also read "The City Of God" from Saint Augustin the founder of the Church as we know it today, and be amazed. Also Saint Thomas Aquinas "Summa thelogica"
>>
I was born in a Catholic family too and I decided to distance myself from that religion. I believe it is not necessary to have a label at all to live your spirituality and organized religion as a whole seems too brainwashy and powerful to me (inb4 fedorafaggit). Also, I don't want nothing to do with a belief system that says that my divorced parents should suffer eternally because they committed "adultery". Seriously, don't affiliate.
>>
>>16975784
Just look into the various religions and read the philosophical writings behind them.
>Or do we just die and see all blackness, like science suggests?
Science suggests absolutely nothing on the subject of the after life. The completely logical viewpoint is complete agnosticism.
>>16975803
>Catholisism is not based 100% on the bible, Roman Catholisism is sort of a spin off from Roman Paganism, where they adore different gods for different problems, instead in catholisim they do it with saints.
This is why no one respects protestants
>every single word form every single saint is "the word of god"
The Catholic church doesn't teach this and no Catholic believes it.
>>
>>16975828
>Also, I don't want nothing to do with a belief system that says that my divorced parents should suffer eternally because they committed "adultery".
Good thing Catholicism doesn't claim this anywhere.
>>
Spirituality is rather subjective and personal, thus it's constantly being reshaped and whatever fulfilled you yesterday might not work today.

Grew up Catholic too, and at some point I got quite religious. I liked going to church, more out of duty and the satisfaction I got from knowing I was doing what I'm supposed to do rather than actual enjoyment of the church activities. However, at some point I started questioning many principles and like you, the bible made little to no sense to me. I ended up embracing atheism for a time and that provided some answers back then.
Now, I think I can say I am a Buddhist. Kinda stumbled upon Buddhism and, more than a religion, it is a flexible spiritual path that has provided me with a lot of useful knowledge that I can apply to me every day life.

If you are in the search for knowledge, looking outside Catholicism as shaped by the church might be helpful. Read the suggestions >>16975803 gave you, take a look at other religions, and atheism, and see what conclusions you reach.

Good luck!
>>
>>16975855
"Let marriage be honored among all and the marriage bed be kept undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterers" Hebrews 13:4
Also sixth commandment
>>
>>16975928
>Let marriage be honored among all and the marriage bed be kept undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterers
And this means they'll suffer eternally?
You must not have learned very much from catechism if you grew up Catholic as you claim.
>>
if you're curious about other theistic believes, "the worlds religions" is a good book that talks about the teachings and thinking of the dominate religions and, as an atheist, almost turned me towards Hinduism. You could also substitute with science and philosophy for the purpose of how and why? like I've done. Or even a combination of them, just find sources for knowledge.
>>
well you can just, confess again, in your death bed we had what we called a final confession and its for salvation, being catholic is fun. Unless you're a catholic and want to ruin every religion that is not catholic
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.