[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't Stand Sports
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1353973738555.jpg (103 KB, 480x600) Image search: [Google]
1353973738555.jpg
103 KB, 480x600
Is it just me, or are sports dumb as fuck?? I might be preaching to the choir, here. I mean, I played sports as a kid and it was a fine way to meet/hang out with kids and use my time positively when I was in school. After school, though, I really see no fucking point in sports. Yes, the typical take-away is supposed to be "teamwork is key", but we all know that the majority of people playing sports are there to win and/or look cool. I'm also thoroughly convinced that the older someone participating in sports is, the more likely it is that they're just trying to avoid doing anything "real" with their life and love living like a grown up 17 year old. You might disagree, but I think having intense interests in any of the most basic, instinctual areas (athletics, sex, food) makes someone as dumb as a rock. Being good at kicking balls and running puts you like two notches above a fucking chimpanzee.
>>
>>16968259
I'm 21, I never played sports as a kid because I was fat. I'm going to start this year though because there's not a lot you can really do in life that adequately simulate the shit humans would do in the wild e.g. fight, hunt animals with weapons and shit. It's like an outlet for natural shit humans are supposed to do. I think it would be good for me physically and mentally, so I'll do it as a hobby in addition to my other interests.
>>
>>16968259

There's a whole bunch of different options when it comes to this, so the argument is weird. Don't like kicking balls and running? Do something else. Don't like team sports? There are individual sports too. Obviously in that variety there is something for almost everyone. Other than that they give you skills you wouldn't gain otherwise, keep you in good physical shape and challenge you both physically and mentally. As for the age argument, if you think there's anything else more badass than a 75-year-old acing a sport of his choice, then you're full of shit.
>>
>>16968295

I don't disagree that some level of physical activity is good for you. I just think it's fucking ridiculous when people go to the gym or play a sport in order to look a certain way - to be the "fit person". It ends up being a really narcissistic obsession. Being fit beyond what is necessary just makes you a meathead, not to mention being gym-fit rarely actually means you're in shape.
>>
>>16968312

I don't think many people can upkeep a sporty hobby just for looks unless they genuinely enjoy it too. After all if you do it seriously, it isn't exactly easy. But you're right that there are those smug pricks who do sports just to look good, but that's probably just a fraction of people who are into it. Though they are more common in gyms, probably, so you've got a point there. But what the fuck do I know, I do sports for the adrenaline spike, so I'm pretty biased here.
>>
>>16968312
Ur a salty little bitch pussy nerd with no muscle. I haven't even lifted in like a month and I would still fuck you up because I'm way healthier than you. Not enjoying watching sports is one thing, but to hate playing them is a whole new level of pathetic
>>
>>16968312
i think you are giving too much meaning to pepople playing sport. people like to play sports as hobby. what you said about weight training is complete shit. it takes like 40 minutes to complete a work out and you could do it like 3-5 times a week and still make decent progress. you make it sound as though people base their entire life on a hobby. Also you are not taking into consideration the actual benefits that come from working out - i.e discipline, fitness. >>16968312
>gym-fit rarely actually means you're in shape.
the fuck does that mean? lol. There is all sorts you can do at a gym. how fit you get, depends on your work out and diet.
>>
>>16968345
>>16968363

Great examples of the mindset I'm talking about. You both seem to see being "fit" as "being able to beat someone up" which just makes you a big angry monkey. Weighing 250 pounds because you bulked up at the gym just means you wasted 40 minutes a day 3 to 5 times a week to be too heavy to run.
>>
>>16968401
i never said anything about beating people up. the fuck? being big doesent even mean you can fight. fighting comes from technique and speed. stop making shitty assumptions. your hate in regards to going the gym is not justified. what else are you going to do for 40 minutes? at least people going the gym are getting fit and becoming disciplined. not everyone who goes the gym is trying to bulk. you know virtually nothing about working out.
>>
>>16968259
Thinking that intellect is all that matters is as shallow as thinking that strength is all that matters. We are meant to be well rounded persons. I've been a competitive/sponsored 'extreme' athlete, I've an iq of 165, currently work out 6/week, am in the 'super strong' category, finishing my PhD, am married, had relationships before my wife, have traveled to many countries, etc. In summation, I quite enjoy sports, both watching and playing, and am likely, by any objective standard, a better and more interesting person than you are. So, go be a quasi intellectual beta fuck somewhere else.
>>
File: 1448080306601.jpg (15 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
1448080306601.jpg
15 KB, 693x693
>>16968259
Christ you're edgy.

There is no better way for bros to bond and have fun and stay physically (and mentally) fit. There are no downsides whatever except that you have to interact with the dreaded normals who you might make a mistake in front of, causing your fragile ego to go into an emotional tailspin. There is no easier way to relate in conversation to another man, since the vast majority of men watch sports and have a rudimentary knowledge of current sports events. It's a powerful social tool, fitness tool, fun tool.

I dont like sports either but I'm not such an idiot that I discount everything I don't like as pointless or bad.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.