[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, a while back I registered myself for an exchange program.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: University-of-Gloucesters-008.jpg (37 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
University-of-Gloucesters-008.jpg
37 KB, 460x276
Hey /adv/, a while back I registered myself for an exchange program. It wasn’t my own choice, my parents pushed me to do it because they felt it could improve my grades (linguistics student) and would look good on my resume. Now it’s up to me to decide whether I want to go through with it.

The place I’d be going to is a tiny, rural village where you’ll probably be bored to tears if you don’t make friends. So that doesn’t appeal to me. I’ve never seen the appeal of exchange programs in general. The reason why I consider going, is because I’ve recently been suffering from a major depression caused by my situation at home. Next year, my only friend will be going on an exchange program as well (different destination) so I’d have no-one to meet up with, and the few people I hang out with at school will either have graduated or changed colleges. My life will get lonely and I don’t look forward to being stuck at home. I really want to get out of here, and going abroad does mean I’ll get the space I desperately want and need.

I know this isn’t exactly a proper reason to go on an exchange program. But I fear that I might get depressed again if I stay here alone. And I suppose it would do me some good if I am able to make some new friends over there. What do you guys think?

tl;dr: is partipicating in an exchange program only because you want to get away from home a good idea?
>>
Sure it got me away from home, but wow it changed my life.

How long, OP? My first away was 3.5 months. Now I've been away for 1.5 years with 3 weeks back home. It set me up for exploring the world. Raised my confidence. Gave me a new outlook on life. Not saying it's super easy, but you know what awaits you at home. Out there--who knows?!
>>
>>16950491
I'd be leaving for 4 months. Heard a lot of positive things from other exchange students, but they all went by their own volition and were excited to leave. I was thrown into it against my will and am only starting to warm up to the idea because it allows me to leave this place. So I probably won't leave with the same enthusiastic mindset as my fellow students.

But I do think it will be a great experience IF I manage to make some friends there. That's the biggest thing I'm worried about. I'm not very social.
>>
>>16950526
That's a long time, but the same truth remains--you know what you have at home, and it's not great.

I definitely was nervous and had bouts of homesickness. What country? Would you even have Internet?

I would encourage you to have a plan--exploring, doing some type of charity work--for connecting with human beings.
>>
Chicks dig foriegn students. "Oh your from America? And your getting an education wow" bonus points if your cute
>>
>>16950555
I'd be staying in Germany. I should have internet there so I can keep in contact with everyone.

Don't think there's much exploring to do with it being a tiny village. But the college I'm staying at does organise events for students to get to know each other. Guess I'll look into it and see if there are other kinds of social activities that interest me.
>>
>>16950612

You can go more places than just the village you're staying in. You... you do know that.... people can travel to other cities, right? Or like go on trips in the surrounding beautiful Germanic countryside.
>>
>>16950612
Dude. Are you going to be super poor for this trip? You get a Eurail pass before you leave the US and then you go on weekend treks and explore and have a ton of fun!
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.