[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need advice for my future
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1455730649207.jpg (226 KB, 920x1227) Image search: [Google]
1455730649207.jpg
226 KB, 920x1227
I'll start off by clarifying, I guess; I'm not very intelligent. I mean more like I'm completely average, in terms of grades and all I usually get low to mid Bs even if I study. I don't have any particular talents or affinities for certain academic fields either (It's sort of funny since my cousins on both sides are valedictorians and doctors and all that shit and me and my youngest brother are dumber than a sack of bricks). I want to say I'm reasonably sharp outside academics, but everyone wants to think that, so that's probably pointless.

Anyway. Basically, I have absolutely no idea what I want to do or where I should go with my life. I'm a college freshman now, and have to declare a major by the end of the school year. I have no dream job, no ambition, no real talents, have to force myself to study, few friends and connections even after a whole semester, and I'm lost. I guess it might have been a better idea to wait to know what I want to do before going to college, but I was hoping to discover that. I'm utterly hopeless in STEM fields as well, especially com sci (dropped that last semester after a terrible second midterm), I thought I should mention.

Anyway, I know a lot of this is on me for being unambitious and all. I don't intend to try and cover any of that. But I'd really like some advice on where I should look towards from now on, how to change myself, and what paths are realistically open for me career/future-wise.
>>
You should probably quit college and wait until you have matured a little. Go traveling, work a few jobs, then go back to school when you've decided on a career.
>>
>>16909971
I might consider this. Also bumping for more advice.
>>
>>16910201
if you intend on staying in school because your parents expect you to then just take classes that sound the least bit interesting to you.

You're a college freshman after all so you probably have to work through GE's and other shit so just try to fulfill those to begin with. If you take a class and find the subject matter to be fairly interesting to you then research more into the major/field (look up prospective jobs for that major and whether the degree you want to pursue requires higher education to make a living) and take more classes in that major.

Believe me when I say that you are not alone when it comes to feeling this in college. I was in a similar situation to you, I came into college undeclared and had to declare a major at the end of freshman year. Plenty of my friends entered into college with intended majors only to change their majors after their freshman year so don't feel like you need to stick with one thing.
Sure, things are easier if you already know what you want but so many people don't (it's hard for an 18 year old to know what he/she wants to do for the rest of their lives).

Goodluck
>>
don't get a useless piece of shit degree it's a waste of time holy shit be careful... get a degree that does something or don't
>>
>>16909966
There ARE reasons for being in college other than getting a job.

Assume, just for the sake of argument, that whatever you major in will not affect your chances at a job in 4-5 years.So use the time to shop around in various fields that interest you until you find one that's worth focusing on just for the fun of it. (You can change your declared major whenever you want)
>>
>>16910295
what are the non-shit degrees?
>>
>>16909971

This.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.