[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello all--I need some advice about how to handle my work past.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: 1426174107399.png (2 MB, 779x1000) Image search: [Google]
1426174107399.png
2 MB, 779x1000
Hello all--I need some advice about how to handle my work past.

Five years ago, I started work at a company that focused on editing lawbooks, in the indexing department. My total numbers were never great until my third year (sharp learning curve), often being below the minimum, but my quality of work was so high that they kept me around anyway. However, when a new VP wanted to expand his department, my previous performance wasn't good enough, and when I missed one month's numbers, I was given the choice to either be fired or resign. I chose the latter, and left with best wishes from my boss, who promised to be a reference for me.

Since then, I've got a somewhat decent job, but I'm trying to find a new one, and I'm worried that my previous boss is not following through on her promises to be a reference, or that she's making my past failings seem worse.

How do I address this time period in interviews/applications, and how do/should I get in touch with my boss to check up on her/her feelings on me?
>>
No one will risk bringing a slander suit against themselves by badmouthing a former employee. Even if they have nothing positive to say, they will at least confirm that you worked there during the stated time period. That's all your new employers expect anyway.

You're about to make a grave mistake by getting too hands-on with this. Stop. Do the simple and obvious thing: list your former job on your resume/CV and provide contact details as requested. That's it. Leave everything else and everyone else alone. It will be fine. The only way this is liable to go wrong is if you start fucking with it.
>>
>>16907335
Okay, I can work with that, but what happens when an application specifically asks if I've ever been fired or resigned to avoid being fired?

A friend said to say that I resigned due to budgetary issues, but I'm not sure how that sounds.
>>
File: Azusa.png (1 MB, 820x644) Image search: [Google]
Azusa.png
1 MB, 820x644
>>16907385

Paranoia bump
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.