[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently started working teaching, related to languages. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: OwFq2T5.jpg (119 KB, 2000x1284) Image search: [Google]
OwFq2T5.jpg
119 KB, 2000x1284
I recently started working teaching, related to languages. I learned a foreign language that isn't very popular and a lot of English native speakers can't speak, and there happen to be a lot of the native speakers of said language in my city, so without intention a job dropped in my lap. I've been teaching and making $20/hr, which obviously isn't great but it's fine for me considering I hadn't even worked before. I interviewed with a man who runs a translation academy and he's taken me on (sort of) as a teacher, but we're still in the preparation stage. He, however, is only paying me $18/hr for this, since I'm technically not certified to teach to foreign students. He mentioned there was a class I could take and a certification I could get which would compel him to pay me more.

Right now I'm working about 6 hours monday, 4 tuesday, 5 wednesday, and 4 thursday, with friday off. I'm also a university student so I can't, or at least don't wan to, work full time. He asked me if I can also teach 5 hours on Friday to a new student regularly. I said that I could, but now thinking more about it I'm not sure if I want to take this on considering I've already dropped a lot of focus on my schoolwork when the wage here isn't even that high. What I want is a raise but I can't ask for one yet since it hasn't even been long since I've started this job. But to be honest it will be very very difficult to find someone else skilled enough to translate or teach translation in this language who also gives the "certification" of being a white native speaker of English.

*Continued*
>>
I'm somewhat new to the job world, I'm wondering what people think is the best option. I was thinking of either refusing the Friday work through email and mentioning that it would be worth it for me to do if I had a higher wage but since I have to focus on my studies as well, at the wage I'm getting it's not yet worth taking so much out of my time. Or, I could just take the work, and become closer with the guy running the academy, earn the money, etc.

What do you think is the best choice? To be honest I've been focusing a lot less on my University, but on the other hand I've been thinking that I wouldn't mind doing work related to this field in the future if I can make a career out of it, rather than my school major.
>>
Did he write down on paper stating that if you got more certified that you get higher pay? Be careful.
>>
File: gary-oldman-fifth-element.png (1 MB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
gary-oldman-fifth-element.png
1 MB, 1200x600
The money isn't as important as getting the experience and perhaps the certificate.

Don't take the extra hours unless he offers much more money.
>>
>>16894200
No but he doesn't seem shady. he gave me translation material to teach to my student that was shitty so I re-translated it myself and I mentioned that it took me 1 hour to do so so he paid me for that hour even though he didn't have to.

>>16894201
Yeah that's how I was looking at it, that it's just important experience. But his academy is a new one and he's also having me "interview" or just online-meet with a friend of his who runs an English academy in the country whose language I translate in in order to evaluate my skill and then go from there I guess, so I was thinking it might be a good idea just to get further experience working closely with him, etc. But I also don't want to sacrifice the time really, so I'm thinking that I might just refuse the hours for now.
>>
>>16894201
HOLY FUCK THAT WAS GARY OLDMAN?
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.