[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My parents are extremely Christian. They pray before every meal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
My parents are extremely Christian. They pray before every meal (in restaurants, too), teach Sunday school, and constantly talk about God try to spread his word. God was involved in everything growing up, and they always told me how important it was to find a Christian girl to marry and have God be the center of the marriage.

I'm atheist now, but have never told them because my mom would cry nonstop and honestly have a break down. I just got engaged to my girlfriend (who they love), and she is extremely atheist. She is the type that despises religion.

She has always been a good sport, though, and she goes to church with me for big holidays with my family. They have no idea she isn't Christian.

So, now that we are engaged, I'm feeling like I have to tell my parents. I know they'll want me to get married in a church. I know when I have kids, they'll want them to get baptized, teach them about God, etc.

What do I do from here? I am confident they will be "heartbroken" hearing I'm marrying an "ungodly" woman. I think they'll blame her for my beliefs. I'm just not sure the best way to approach it, and if approaching it is every what you do.

TL;DR
How do I tell my extremely Christian parents I'm marrying an atheist?
>>
Do whatever the hell you want to do. If you love this woman, and want to marry her, then just bloody well do it. No one has a right to tell you what you should/shouldn't do when it comes to love. Especially not your parents. If they disown you or any bullshit like that for doing it then that's their fucking problem. It shouldn't be yours. All that should matter is marrying the woman you love.

Do you want to be married in a church? Do you want your kids to be baptised? Do you want them to be raised in a religious environment?

No?

That's your fucking choice, not theirs.
>>
Honestly, stop caring about what your parents think. Live your own life, if your parents decide to have some kind of breakdown over how you're living your life, then let them do that. It doesn't affect you.
>>
Say 'mom, dad, I love you and respect your beliefs, but I'm not religious' which sounds ten times better than 'I dont believe in god'.

I think its good to view religion/church as at least a cultural thing though if not a belief system. You can compromise by bringing your kids to church for xmas or easter for the fun stuff. I'm atheist as well but I still appreciated my parents taking me to church once or twice as a kid even though theyre not religious either. Just so I could see what it was exactly. And people are friendly
>>
>>16892570
Explain to them why you have your beliefs and tell them you still love, and respect them regardless of the difference beliefs you have. what you definitely shouldn't do is not marry your gf because of your parents. Christianity is a belief system and shouldn't be forced on anyone. My friend was brought up in a johova witness family and some of the things he has told me are really fucked up.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.