[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/ In one hour, I'm going to my first therapy session
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1457147652079.png (966 KB, 700x673) Image search: [Google]
1457147652079.png
966 KB, 700x673
/adv/
In one hour, I'm going to my first therapy session as an adult.

>What should I expect? Brief me.
>>
>>16892392
To be very disappointed.
>>
>>16892398
But why?
>>
I just recently started seeing a therapist (as a 23 year old) myself, and I gotta say that I get a lot out of it.

Truth is, though, the first session is typically information gathering. Like what your background is, if you're going to kill yourself, stuff like that.

But when you go back for the second appointment, then you'll really get into the meat of cognitive behavioral therapy. Don't be disappointed if you don't make any 'progress' this first meeting.

But I've only been to three sessions myself and already am making tremendous progress. Good for you taking that first step.
>>
>>16892413
>if you're going to kill yourself, stuff like that.
I don't think I'm going to kill myself because I have my mom and my friend but I'd say if I'm not thinking about something really specific I do fantasize about that. Is that something I should say?
>>
>>16892413
I'm anxious about this honestly
>>
>>16892423
Definitely. They're not going to commit you if you say you've had a fantasy. I said that, and the only thing that the therapist said in response was "I'm sorry to hear that. Do you think you're in immediate danger?" and when I said "no" she moved on. It just sets up a baseline so that he/she knows what direction to move in and how you're feeling.

>>16892431
Just be completely honest. Anything they do is designed to help you, even if it doesn't makes sense to you.
>>
Could someone just post the best, most helpful advice you get during therapy? Like the cliffs notes version? Kthxbye.
>>
>>16892467

Everyone's different, but my experience with my own therapy is to take every negative thought you have that leads to depression, and answer it with a truth that you know. For example, sometimes I feel like my friends secretly don't like me. The negative thought is "My friends secretly hate me and wish I were dead." I identify that as a lie, and answer it with truth - "Well, if that were true, they wouldn't want to hang out with me and wouldn't even talk to me."

Also this: http://psychcentral.com/lib/the-top-10-types-of-stinkin-thinkin/
>>
>>16892480
What if you don't have any friends?
>>
>>16892413
is there legal stuff around the commit suicide bit? like if you told them you physically planned for it would they tell anyone?

when I look at the TOS of suicide hot lines they have areas explaining that if the person you're talking to things you're serious they'll call the fucking police. because having my house swarmed by officers and getting me a criminal record will clearly help and not ruin my already shit life.
>>
>>16892442
As long as I'm not telling them "I am definitely going to kill myself" then I will not be committed. Right?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.