[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hope someone here can help me with this. I want to apply for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: 1424966132517.jpg (164 KB, 620x849) Image search: [Google]
1424966132517.jpg
164 KB, 620x849
I hope someone here can help me with this.
I want to apply for a PhD scholarship and I was asked to write a research plan.
Where do I start ? How do I find a research theme ?
>>
>>16782261
No offence bro but this is the kinda question a PHD student shouldn't need to ask...

Same principle as your research plan for diss / MA diss. Topic > question > how to answer > methodology > predictions > potential problems / considerations
>>
>>16782269
I'm lost in finding a theme that's all. I'm looking for some inspiration
>>
>>16782261
Professor writing here

I second the previous comment. If you're in grad school and have no ideas for research in your field, you have no business going for a PhD.

You don't have to commit yourself to something that you may with further study move away from. But you do have to show that you are thinking on the road-to-PhD level.

Is there absolutely nothing that you've studied and want to study further? Is there any area in which you spot a hole that needs filling in?

If not, why do you want a PhD?
>>
>>16782292
Things here are a bit different. I mean here you need first to pass some kind of examination to access the PhD and then you'll have a supervisor and you'll have plenty of time to find a suitable research theme. Right now I'm applying for a scholarship abroad. I'm a computer engineer and I want to improve the use of technology in medical science.
>>
>>16782302
>I want to improve the use of technology in medical science.
So how would you go about that, what old you research first?
>>
>>16782305
>old?
Would
>>
>>16782307
make some smart electronic device that is able to efficiently detect what's wrong with the human body
>>
>>16782313
And what do you need to reasurch to do that?
>>
>>16782316
how doctors identify illnesses and how can I teach the device to do so
>>
honestly the need to use the socratic method in this thread is very telling about op's cognitive faculties and ability

my advice: gb2elementary school and relearn the basics
>>
>>16782366
man I only need some inspiration
>>
File: DGPstock-hummingbirds-101.jpg (856 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
DGPstock-hummingbirds-101.jpg
856 KB, 1500x1001
>>16782429
You are supposed to have discovered a topic you find interesting that needs more research. Research that nobody else in the world has done yet.
>>
Computer engineering undergrad turned Johns Hopkins grad student here. Tbh what inspires me are games like deus ex and general sci fi. I look at the things in those games and i wonder 'how can i make that real?' hope this helps :^)
>>
I don't know anymore this thread is depressing
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.