[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT. Advice on learning a new language on your own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: grief.jpg (16 KB, 333x322) Image search: [Google]
grief.jpg
16 KB, 333x322
I've been trying to learn Russian and its quite the task.

What are some good methods of studies and, if any, can anybody here that speaks or already learned Russian offer some insight?

The cases are driving me insane.
>>
>>16625274
>>>/int/
read sticky
shitpost in your target language
get some anime dubbed in it/watch shows and movies in it
>>
>>16625274
I quite like Duolingo. The Russian course was just completed. It's free, too.
>>
The main Russian imageboard is 2-ch.su (at least it was quite active a few years ago ... haven't been there in a while. There's several others, too, and they're not hard to look for.)

If you've been studying for long at all I'm sure you've tried to watch a dubbed movie or TV show and noticed they do that annoying-as-fuck thing where they just overlay the Russian audio over the English. There are at least a couple high-quality American shows where they bothered to do real professional dubs (the first couple of seasons of Game of Thrones, at least. LOST too I think? And a couple others. Maybe Breaking Bad.) You want to search for "[show's name in Russian] пoлнoe дyблиpoвaниe." I just ripped the audio from a bunch of shows, basically making little 50-min radio plays, and listened to them in the car, following along from my memory of the English until I realized I was actually starting to understand. I recommend doing this well before you think you're ready to; it'll still help.

As regards the grammar, I'm not fluent, but I can read a newspaper without referring to a dictionary and make myself understood with minimal spaghetti droppage, and I never studied the fucking cases. Like, a little bit, so I recognized them and knew basically what they were for, but I never fucking drilled them. Mostly I just learned phrases from flash cards and eventually patterns started to emerge and I realized I was just going by what sounded 'right' or 'wrong' and it worked pretty well. Like, it was honestly a surprise to me when I learned that the 7-letter rule (и instead of ы after certain letters) had a name. I was like, "Oh. I just thought that's how it was." I strongly recommend learning this way; it's less stressful and more fun and, in my opinion, more efficient too.

I'll post more if I think of anything. It's a bitch of a language, I seriously found Mandarin easier, but it's also pretty colorful and fun.
>>
i used and replay the russian version of sesame street on their alphabet on youtube. i deeply internalized the cyrillic alphabet in less then a week
>>
>>16625415
Not completely sure if you're joking or not, but I recommend just reading a lot. Even just a week of occasionally drilling vocab words. Not trying to put you down, but learning the alphabet is the easiest part of the language.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.