[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey adv I need some help. I rent a room in a house that my friend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: 1414527081920.jpg (6 KB, 250x240) Image search: [Google]
1414527081920.jpg
6 KB, 250x240
Hey adv I need some help.

I rent a room in a house that my friend owns. He recently said to me that he is uncomfortable with me having people in the house who he doesn't know and that I can't have guests stay over who he doesn't know personally (we share a number of mutual friends but I have a lot of friends he doesn't know). I understand it is his property but for me not being able to have any guests whatsoever seems unreasonable. This is my first time living as a lodger so I am unsure of what to do.

On one hand I can see where he is coming from and how he feels about strangers in the house but on the other hand he's making me feel like a child by telling me what I can and cannot do. Hell, even my parents never worried about who I brought home or had stay over when I lived with them. They always trusted my judgement and that I would never bring assholes into the house, which I never did.

How do I proceed?
>>
>>16569537
If you're a tenant, then stand your ground. If you're a lodger, then you have fewer rights and prepared to be kicked out if you stand your ground
>>
>>16569542

I'm just a lodger. If we can't reach an agreement then I will move out if need be, i'd just rather not because aside from this one issue living here has been great.
>>
Well yeah, that's pretty unreasonable on his part. But lets be real - how often are you having people over, and how many people? I had a roommate once who would throw parties often, and have at least 3-4 people over EVERY DAY for like the whole day. I'm far from anti-social, but I can tell you that it really sucks when you can NEVER come home to a quiet apartment and just relax. Like having 4 extra roommates that don't pay any rent and don't help with the bills. It gets old.

Long story short - if you want to keep living together, you're going to have to compromise and try to find a reasonable middle ground.
>>
>>16569537
Basically, he will deside if you will fuck.
Find another place or negotiate the price.
>>
>>16569551
Well maybe you can compromise and let him know in advance when someone he doesn't know is coming over or something?
>>
>>16569554

Not very often at all actually. There's one girl ive been dating for a few months who stays over on saturday nights sometimes and then leaves again sunday afternoon (since i moved here, its only time she has off work) but aside from that there hasnt been anyone else as yet.

I'd never throw a party in here nor have more than 1 guest stay the night, which 99% of the time would be a female. I would never want my housemate to feel like I was taking the mick, abusing his hospitality nor make him feel uncomfortable in his own home.
>>
>>16569567

He owns the house, the price I pay for rent is not up for negotiation. I dont know exactly what you mean nor how doing that would help.

>>16569570
I don't see why I have to run my life past him in that way, nor would I be comfortable doing so. As I said in my op, my parents trusted my judgement in this situation when I lived at home so I would like him to do the same. Its his house yes, but my private life is my own and really, none of his business.
>>
>>16569589
If you're not willing to actually negotiate and compromise, then you should look for another place to live.
>>
>>16569597

I dont feel like he will negotiate. He has basically said "these are the rules". I would negotiate/compromise if there was something I could come up with that I am comfortable with. Telling or asking my housemate for permission in advance every time I want to have a guest over is not how grown ass men should be doing things.
>>
>>16569605
Yeah, and he's not comfortable with you bringing people he doesn't know into his home when you're only a lodger. You're both unwilling to compromise, and nothing's going to happen and this is going to ruin your friendship because you're both children who want it your own way.
>>
>>16569589
This is the thing, imo.

If there is a drawback to a goods or service then the price will be lowered compared to a goods or service without the drawback.

When you move out from home, a babysitter is considered a drawback.

From his perspective he will set the price depending on his preference. If he wants zero risk or zero inconvenience for renting out his apartment then he has to lower the price so he can choose between more applicants.

If he is not concerned about risk or inconvenience he will increase the price until there is only a few people remaining.

And think about it. Are you REALLY going to go to your friend and ask him if it's OK to bring Trish because you intend to fuck her.
>>
>>16569616

Actually i'm the only lodger he has had. Me living here came about as matter of convenience for us both and the amount I pay for rent was set based on the average rent in the area. He makes good money at his job, so even if I moved out he likely wouldn't get another lodger as really, he doesn't need the money and as we know, he doesnt want strangers around.

And no, I would never ask him that, nor anyone else for that matter.
>>
>>16569635
Then why the fuck are you wasting our time?
>>
>>16569638

Because in every other aspect, living here is great. This is literally the only problem we have had and i'd rather try and find a work-around than go through all the hassle of finding a new place to live.

I'll move out, but only if there is no other option.
>>
>>16569644
You either accept the rules or you negotiate them. It is really that simple.
>>
>>16569648
Don't waste your time, OP is not going to step down
>>
>>16569648
>>16569663

I just can't think of a way around this. I don't believe being able to have a guest in my room on occasion is asking too much. Especially when I am a conscientious housemate that never does anything to warrant any kind of concern.
>>
>>16569678
I took the bate. 10/10.
>>
>>16569678
Okay. Enjoy finding somewhere else to live.
>>
>>16569537

hes being a bit unreasonable but hte unfortunate truth is that he is your landlord, and can kick you out pretty easily. so you kinda gotta adhere. you can try and talk to him.

im kinda the same way. i hate when my roommates bring people home. my current one simply doesnt.
>>
>>16569537

does he NEED you or is he LETTING you stay with him, and if hes LETTING you stay with him, is it at a reduced rent compared to other options?

if he NEEDS you he should be willing to compromise, but he still has all the power so doesnt have to.

if hes LETTING you then he still only sees it as his own home and doesnt like you taking advantage of his generosity.
>>
>>16569635

ur fucked then. while it helps that he has extra money he doesnt NEED you. he wouldnt even need to replace you, and if ur paying an average for the area you might as well move out.
>>
>>16569678

you are unwilling to negotiate. he is unwilling to negotiate.

go find somewhere else to live. you are being ALLOWED to live in his home. he doesnt NEED you there, so as soon as you are an inconvenience (bringing people over) hes not going to let you stay there anymore.

leave.
>>
>>16569574

OK yeah, then he's being ridiculous. You should probably start thinking about moving out
>>
>>16569574

Maybe the best solution would be to just introduce the girl to him, just hang out and chat for a little bit so they're not strangers anymore. I can see how it might be a little bit awkward for him to keep having this girl around his home if they haven't even really met each other, especially if he's a shy type.

It sounds like he was kind of weird and needlessly confrontational in the way he brought it up, and I wouldn't want a roommate who was all up in my shit. But if you're having this girl over regularly, and she and your roommate are going to be bumping into each other around the house, introducing them to each other would be the polite thing to do. That might be all it takes to smooth this situation over.
>>
>>16569700
Do your roommates guests make noise or do anything which pisses you off? All we do is hangout, talk and watch movies, maybe drink a bottle wine and then fuck before going to sleep which he cant hear as my room is at the opposite end of the house to him and we're always sure to keep any noise to a minimum anyway.

>>16569717
Well, I know he enjoys the extra money my rent gives him. Perhaps you're right.

>>16569771
Thing is, they never lay eyes on each other. He is always either in the lounge or in his room or at work. She can go to the bathroom and come to the kitchen with me without him ever seeing her....and he rarely ever does. If the opportunity to introduce them had arose then I would have done that, but it hasnt. I could have went into the lounge with her to introduce them but there has never been the slightest indication that he wants to meet her anyway, plus I dont like to bother him when he's gaming or watching tv or whatever. We're friends and we share the same house but we respect each others space as we're both people who enjoy our time alone. Plus the fact that who I am dating is none of his business anyway. It's my private life even if some of it has been taking part in his house.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.