[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PSTD, Antidepressants, and a sexless marriage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Here's the TL;DR.

How does PTSD and antidepressants change your sex drive?

I started dating a soldier before his first deployment. We had relatively just gotten together when he was deployed but we made the most of it, Skyping every weekend. I worked nights, so he'd be awake when I was up all night. Part way through deployment, he was injured by an IED. They kept him through the rest of the deployment, then sent him home and later gave him an honorable discharge. Following the injury, he initially couldn't share a bedroom with me, asking that I let him sleep in a locked room. With time and effort, he got back to sharing a bed with me. But his sex drive was just entirely gone. He began antidepressants as well. He's back to being a fully functioning member of society. He cooks and cleans and goes to school. He's very attentive emotionally and enjoys being cuddly. But he refuses any kind of sexual contact. Even just playful groping gets a confused stare, like a neutered dog. He's expressed that he understands that he's supposed to want it but just doesn't.

So, I'm curious. Does anyone have experience with changes in sex drive after PTSD or antidepressants? And any advice for being a good husband while he's still recovering from this?
>>
I have had a hard time finding a good antidepressant that doesn't interfere with libido.
What is he on?
>>
>>17369053
>How does PTSD and antidepressants change your sex drive?
PTSD can send your sex drive through the roof or through the floor. It depends on the case. There isn't much of a way to predict which way it will go.

Some antidepressants CAN decrease your sex drive (usually it doesn't increase), but most of the time there's no effect.
>>
>>17369058

Cymbalta for mood, trazodone for sleep. He tried Wellbutrin, specifically to try to address the sex drive issue, but it just caused aggression and no change in libido.
>>
>>17369060
>most of the time there's no effect

Is that from an academic source? Because I was just reading an article from the Mayo Clinic this morning that listed many antidepressants where decreased libido/ability to perform sexually is "common"

So I'm curious to hear where you found out that even though this side effect is "common" it does effect "most" people
>>
>>17369065
I was on Cymbalta for a month and it KILLED my sex drive. Like, completely gone. I didn't mastrbate or have sex for that entire month. I complained to my psychiatrist, she took me off, and boom, a week later I spent a whole day masturbating and having sex.
There is clearly something going on, and I didn't like it.
>>
I also tried Effexor (another SNRI like Cymbalta) and had similar results.

I think, at least for me, SNRI's are not the right choice.
>>
>>17369053
HE GOT HIS DICK BLOWN OFF!
>>
>>17369089

ONLY METAPHORICALLY.
>>
>>17369096
I DO NOT THINK IT IS METAPHORICAL AT ALL!
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.