[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can I get into cooking? I'm 21 and I'm about to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: JJ0UGKx.gif (633 KB, 161x286) Image search: [Google]
JJ0UGKx.gif
633 KB, 161x286
How can I get into cooking? I'm 21 and I'm about to move out from my parent's basement and live in my apartment.

Throughout my entire life I relied on them preparing and cooking meals but with me sometimes making super simple stuff like fried egg, sausages etc.

I was looking at various food recipes the other day such as teriyaki salmon and it looks so intimidating to me having to prep all the ingredients and attempt to cook it.

How would I go about increasing my experience? Should I start making the fancy ass food or start off slow with recipes such as chilli con carne?
>>
baby steps first anon
>>
>>17363693
Got any simple nutritious recipes anon?
>>
Get one of those cookbooks that are intended for people moving out of home for the first time, or just one that's got quick and easy recipes. My boyfriend's not the greatest in the kitchen and those have helped him a ton.
>>
>>17363685

Cooking costs money to get into, but you save money once you're preparing all your own meals and not spending more eating out for less food that's unhealthy for you.

Watch the YouTube cooking videoes of people who do exclusively that. I love Italian food, so I follow "Laura in the Kitchen." First make meals for one or two, because it'll take awhile to get up to speed. Then start making meals for 6-8 and just freeze or refridgerate the excess. You'll start have generous meals that you only need to reheat, and which at the end of the month will cost a quarter what those eating out all the time are paying. The money you save is called, "beer money."
>>
cookingwithautism.com/
>>
>>17364169
>Cooking costs money to get into
No it doesn't. Basic equipment and ingredients aren't expensive.
>>
>>17363729
Good old unpeeled baked potatoes and a juicy steak is always nice
Also make sure to flavour that shit
>>
>>17363685
Hey, there's something called "YouTube" that will show you how to cook anything from hard-boiled eggs to peking duck. If you're health-conscious there's an easy Mücsli recipe. If you're cash-tight then there's rice and bean recipes. Anything you need or want, buddy.
>>
>>17364174

To make food that will do no more than keep you from starving, hey, I agree 100%. But to make a variety of authentic dishes takes a variety of ingredients, spices. You can get by with a handful of pots and pans, but there's no substitute for garlic salt, oregano, rosemary, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, paprika, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chili powder, ground cumin, kosher salt, this is just stuff off the top of my head here. Opening my cupboard would triple this list, and there's rarely an oportunity to substitute one thing for amother. It all adds up, and so that first trip to the grocery store can be a shock to the wallet. There's also a time investment. Learninh to make an omlette that's edible takes 10 minutes. Learning to make one you could set in front of company takes a month.
>>
>>17363685
>terriyaki salmon
Sounds pretty straight forward. Salmon's easy to prepare, which is why I make it quite often.

Cooking is intimidating at first, but most of it is just prep work (having the correct ingredients, tools, etc.). Cooking itself isn't hard, just follow a recipe and don't be afraid to change it to your liking.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.