[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright guys tell me your opinion about my current situation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: mosscreeksashermcdoodles3.jpg (1 MB, 1441x1465) Image search: [Google]
mosscreeksashermcdoodles3.jpg
1 MB, 1441x1465
Alright guys tell me your opinion about my current situation.

>have kid young
>now 40
>son is 18
>live in a rual area with a small house and a huge gated yard
>have 2 dogs and 2 cats
>dogs are both mini poodles and cats are small (don't know anything about cat breeds)
>never tried to train are dogs before
>son now wants a third dog and wants to start training it from day one
>wants it to be his dog and to be 100% responsible for it
>say it will help him become more mature
>wants a standard goldendoodle
>look online for prices
>their expensive as fuck

Should i get him this dog?
I'm not sure if we can handle another dog.
any advice?
>>
>>17361105
Could you tell us more about your son? Why isn't he leaving for college?

Also, how much disposable income would you say you have?
>>
Jobs also build responsibility and character. They can also, incidentally, subsidize a dog.

If you decide on getting a dog, could you convince your child to get another large, fluffy, motherless animal from the shelter? It will be much cheaper and will save a dog's life.
>>
File: fuck_you_humans_1_.jpg (129 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
fuck_you_humans_1_.jpg
129 KB, 500x375
>>17361105
i wanted a dog since i was 18. now im 27. numoures time i was thinking of getting one. girlfriends always had dogs. so temporally i had contact with dogs and trained them. now im pretty happy i never did get one myself since although i love dogs i think i wouldnt want to have this kind of responsibility for up to 12-14 years. cant tell you how happy i am not geeting one.

but thats just me. cant talk for your son, so this might be no help at all

pic not related
>>
>>17361125
this. shouldnt buy a breeders dog.
>>
>>17361159
Seriously, OP, respond to >>17361110.

We need some practical details. Walk us through why you think your kid will be able to take care of a dog, and where you think the kid will be for the dog's natural lifespan. Because he's getting to that age where moving with dogs is pretty complicated.
>>
you're the autistic son and no, you don't deserve a dog, especially not an expensive one.
>>
>>17361110
>>17361110
he's autistic and have had very hard time in school so he didn't graduate but if he wasn't constantly bullied by other kids and teachers he would have ,graduated hell his iq is 130.

He's been working on maturing and wants to get a job, learn how to drive, be a comedian ect. He has no plans to go to college.

We don't have very much money but we could buy a dog if it was less than $1000.

>>17361125
last time we were at the local shelter they had HUGE dogs, we would have any room for one of those and even a goldendoodle might be too big.

>>17361169
sorry there were connection problems so i couldn't post for some reason.

i have my doubts but i think if he's serious he could do it.
He doesn't plan on moving anytime soon so i don't think i have to worry about that.
>>
>>17361192
>He's been working on maturing and wants to get a job, learn how to drive, be a comedian ect.
>be a comedian ect.
euthanize him
>>
>but if he wasn't constantly bullied by other kids and teachers he would have
that's like saying if he had learned how to read he would have graduated. socializing is every bit as important and valuable a part of school as tests and homework
>He doesn't plan on moving anytime soon so i don't think i have to worry about that.
you realize that means you've failed as a parent, right?
>>
>>17361199
>>17361206
You don't know anything about him, our family or what we have gone through.
>>
>>17361225
if I'm somehow wrong that means this dog is an even worse idea
>>
how is having a pet dog going to make a retarded 18 year old more mature?
>>
It would probably be in your son's best interest to aid him in finding his own place to live or finding a job before adopting a pet. I would think the sense of independence gained from the responsibility of working a job or managing a home would help him build the maturity that he seeks.

If you're both set on adopting an animal, I would consider his behaviors and habits before deciding. Is he (and has he always been) mature and responsible? Does he actively do his part in taking care of the animals you have now? Can you envision him being successful as the sole trainer / caretaker of a pet? I would also take your available funds into consideration as well. Are you struggling to care for your current pets? Do you have enough money to buy the dog, and will you have enough money to pay for the dog's expenses in the future?

Is it absolutely necessary to buy a purebred dog? I agree with one of the above posters; a shelter dog would be much less expensive and would save an animal from harsh living conditions, being put down, etc. I would continue looking in nearby shelters to find a suitably-sized dog for your needs.

At this point in your son's life, getting a new dog would be inopportune and would prevent him from maintaining a job or moving into a new house, especially if he will be its only provider. Instead of buying another dog, perhaps your son could take responsibility of one of your current dogs? If not, maybe your son could start small with a fish or a caged animal of some sort? Either option would be less demanding of his time and money and would allow him to make major advancements in his life. Good luck with your decision, OP.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.