[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you afford 600/mo for rent if you only make 1400 a month?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.png (797 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
797 KB, 640x1136
Can you afford 600/mo for rent if you only make 1400 a month? Assuming you don't care about being poor and have no other option
>>
>>17361009
Yea you can
>>
>>17361009
Do you have a car? Is it paid off? Will you need transit pass? Do you have a bike? Student loans? Any other bills? Is that 1400/month before tax?

Do you have furniture? Do you have a bed? Desk? Chair? Do you need to get internet? Do you have a phone bill?

Are you a cutie grill? Do you live in indiana?
>>
>>17361009
Generally you only want to spend at max, 33% of your income on rent and bills but I guess it could be done if you have no options.
>>
>>17361009
you qualify for gov't assistance if you only make that much
>>
>>17361009
Yes, but you better have a small electricity bill, phone bill, and no internet/cable. You won't get to eat much decent food either.

But most apartment complexes won't lease you a $600/month apartment on $1,400/month salary.
>>
>>17361065
Forget to mention.

Unless you have someone cosign the lease with you. Then you could get the apartment.
>>
>>17361067
It's a roommate situation
>>
>>17361061
Not necessarily.

If OP was filed as a dependent on their most recent taxes they probably won't qualify. All that aid shit is super frustrating for this very reason. If you made a lot LAST year or were a dependent but you' lost your job, or something happened so you're poor now... you're fucked.
>>
>>17361009

depends on your vehicle, but yes. i make 1500 a month and pay 780 and i get by fine. even go out a little

but i metro for 100 bucks a month instead of drive.
>>
well, I could easily, I don't know about you
>>
Totally, hit up the foodbank or get EBT and you'll be gucci.
then again insurance, phone, utilities stacks up...
>>
What are your other expenses? 1400 covers me fine and I live in a $800 apartment.
>>
>>17361477
Just a metro pass and my phone that costs 45 a month
>>
I live on $900 a month and pay $590. Doable.
>>
>>17361009
you're' supposed to spend around 30% of your monthly income on rent/mortgage

so for you that would be around 450-500 a month

600 is pushing it a little, but you can expenses elsewhere if you really wanna make it work
>>
>>17361057
>Are you a cutie grill? Do you live in indiana?
kek
>>
>>17361009
Yes you can.
If you can afford rent and other basic bills to live, then you can afford it.
You are forgetting that you won't die if you don't have a new phone every year or internet access, while you couldn't afford luxuries like the internet, you could afford things that you need.
>>
600 a month? where the hell do You live? in the middle of the desert?

My rent is like 2300 per month.

Im seriously considering moving to the country side or something... Man You got it good maybe.
>>
>>17362053
country has been more expensive in my experience, not as many apartments or good houses that aren't trailers.

if you move to city areas around colleges, finding cheap, affordable housing isn't hard.
>>
>>17361009
Fifty years ago the rule of thumb was that rent should be no more than 25% of your income, but those days are gone forever. Today in major cities 50% and even more is the norm, so your 600 almost sound like a bargain.
>>
>>17361009
Kek where I live you can't even live alone for 600 and the average salary is 1400. Yeah you can do, most of us who aren't boomers do it. But your life becomes reduced to shelter and food, like a good worker ant.
>>
>>17362292
Percentage really isn't a good scale here. City living is more expensive, but you also make a lot more too.

NYC for example. My rent is $2200, but I bring home $4000 a month. That's 55%. But since I make so much, I have $1800 left over to play with. Even after utilities, food, and transportation (basic needs), that number goes to 70% just to live. But I'm still left with $1200 a month. I save half of that and spend the rest of it going out to eat, on shows/concerts, and sporting events. Pretty easy living.

Whereas for OP, $600/month rent on $1400 income... 43%. Add in utilities, food, and transportation (another $600), just to live costs $1200/month or 86%. Only $200 left over a month free cash. Hard to save on that, and any unexpected expenses will wipe you out or put you in the hole.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.