[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Not OP but is it worth telling my parents that I have a personality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
Not OP but is it worth telling my parents that I have a personality disorder?

It might not be coming totally out if the blue since I have a brother with diagnosed autism and anger management issues and I'm already on Lexapro for anxiety/depression.

I'm not going through any issues or anything but my hope in telling them is that it'll help them understand why I'm adverse to people and relationships.

I'm currently living at home while attending college.
>>
>Not OP
Sorry, originally wrote this for another thread thread then decided to make my own
>>
>>17358222

depends what it is. and whetheri ts real or if you are just using it as an excuse to be the way you are.

all that being said what would you rather
>explain that its just part of 'who you are' and reach a level of understanding
>or instead have them NOT truly love you for who you are, but just excuse it since ur technically retarded.

id rather just explain it as a part of me, rather than a part of a brain disease.
>>
>>17358235
Shame, it would be a nice touch to the personality disorder.
>>
>>17358247
Well, its Schizoid Personality Disorder, so letting them know would basically provide an explanation as why I refuse to see friends outside of work and class and why I have little desire for a significant other.

It would also explain pretty much exactly why I have anxiety/depression and can't quite relate well to their and others' issues.

I mean, they kinda already think I'm a failure in some respects. They make jabs at me about my social life thinking that it will provoke me to actually doing something about it even though I really can't experience any sort of enjoyment out of such situations.

Its also not like I'm failing at other parts of my life. I'm a good student and am a happy person and am kind to my family when I'm on my meds. I'm hoping that telling them I have SPD would have the same effect as it did when I told them I was depressed/anxiety-ridden and they'd be able to look past that part of me because they knew something was wrong.

Sorry this turned out so long
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.