[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pretty sure I'm being gas lighted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 1466195075957.png (240 KB, 377x427) Image search: [Google]
1466195075957.png
240 KB, 377x427
>bugged my parents room

I live with my parents because reasons. They put up a facade that they love me and would never turn their back on me, but I've overheard them call me a few things to each other, and even to others.

I haven't caught them in the act, but I'm going to. I planted a voice recorder in their room and I'm going to listen to all the shit they say about me.

If I find something of value, what would you recommend I do? What I want to do is go "ah-ha", point my finger, and tell them what shitty people they are. But, maybe I shouldn't.

Opinions?
>>
Do something better with your time. Get enough income to move out instead of dealing with their miserable shit
>>
>>17357967
you sound overly paranoid. maybe a therapist?
>>
>>17357967
>gas lighted
wat is this?
>>
>>17357983
It's when somebody fucks with your mind by saying something that's actually happening isn't happening, and questioning your sanity, which in turn makes you question it. If that makes sense.
>>17357982
There's not much to say. I can audibly hear them say things about me, fairly distinctly. It could be me mishearing, or it could actually be happening. I don't know. The only thing a therapist wants me to do is to 1.) confront them, and 2.) be okay if they are talking shit. Which, both of those things are good, but I've tried confronting them before and they denied it/got butthurt. And I've tried to ignore it, I've tried to become strong in spite of it, I've spoken to a therapist/psychologist about it (durr increase ur meds), rationalizing it (it's not my business; maybe what they're saying is true and i deserve it; maybe they're frustrated about something else), but none of that makes me feel any better about it. I feel hurt, and betrayed, and completely alone because of this. these last 5-6 years have been extremely rough for me, and I just desperately want somebody to validate me and to have my back. I think they should, they're my parents, but they don't, and it really fucking hurts.

Sorry for that big wall of text. I'm kind of emotional and scared of what I'll find.
>>
>>17357976
I have enough income to move out. My reasons for staying here are complicated and not really worth going into. Still, if I do find out they're doing what I think they're doing, I will
>>
>>17357982
This.

Another anon brought a similar problem to /adv/ a few years ago. He thought people were constantly talking shit because he heard them 'speak' about him behind his back. Turned out he was a schizophrenic and hearing hostile voices instead.
>>
>>17358038
How do you check for schizophrenia?
>>
>>17357983
>wat is this?
Remember the episode of Star Trek where Picard is being tortured, and the torturer keeps insisting that there are five lights in the room when anyone can see there are only four? And by the end, Picard almost believes him? That's gaslighting: insisting that things are someting other than they clearly are, in order to make someone else doubt their own perceptions and sanity.

Tough I've got to say, I don't think OP is being gaslit. That would require him to have some clear way of knowing that what he's being told is not true: for example, if they were to call him these tins to his face and then claim they had not. As it stands, it sounds to me like he's only got conjecture, and not based on sound readoning either.
>>
>>17357967
You're a whiny bitch OP.

Grow the fuck up, focus on your own shit. People will talk about you. Get over it. You gain no super powers or tactical advantage over the superficial bullshit that your parents say other than trying to get the verbal upper hand in a pointless argument.

Take that energy and do something like getting your fucking life in order .
>>
what could they possibly say thats so bad. the worst thing your gonna hear bugging their room is the sound of them pegging.
>>
>>17358078
lmfao. I just want to hear their dirty little mouths say what I know they're thinking.
>>
>>17358044

go see a doctor
>>
>>17358075
It's not something I can ignore. Believe me, i've tried it for years. I'm going to get an evaluation by a psychiatrist to see if I'm schizoaffective or some such fuckery. Enough is enough, I need to nip this in the bud.
>>
>>17358087
It is something you can ignore.

It's called growing the fuck up. Get a job. If you have a job, work harder. If you have a reliable and secure job, move the fuck out and get on with your life.

Seriously, no one in the end gives a fuck about your paranoid fears and you get nothing out of knowing what they're saying.

Dear god. How do you sleep at night knowing that all the anon here talk about you. I'm doing it right now with 4 other people. Are you a nervous wreck?

Fuck your aspie shit and grow up
>>
>>17357983
>manipulate (someone) by psychological means into questioning their own sanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

A lot of people on this site do this without even realizing it. It is a pretty common trolling method used around the site actually.
>>
>>17358068
Well, that's what I'm doing, is extracting information to have a clear way of knowing.

I've been reading up on schizophrenia, and I can't tell if I'm being a hypochondriac or what but I have a lot of those symptoms. If I am a schizophrenic, I don't know what I'll do... it scares the shit out of me desu senpai

and to the poster above me, eat a dick internet john wayne, PhD in not knowing shit about anything
>>
>>17358129
Knowing will gain you nothing. Why you hold on to this delusional idea makes me wonder if you're old enough to post on this website.
>>
I say horrible shit in private to people I love deeply, including family. The fact that I love and support them unconditionally doesn't mean they don't drive me nuts. Maybe I'm just a mean person that way, but...
>>
>>17358161
You're a piece of shit, go away
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.