[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've spent the past year looking for jobs, anything to earn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 2013_6beb.jpg (31 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
2013_6beb.jpg
31 KB, 500x334
I've spent the past year looking for jobs, anything to earn money, but have found nothing. Just graduated high-school so no work experience, but I try to soldier on anyway. Had to leave college and live with my grandparents because I couldn't afford to keep going without going into debt.

Temp Agencies, Factories, Car Mechanics, Fast Food, supermarkets, and even damn internships across two different states won't even look at me. I have been to three interviews after hundreds of applications, and they never said anything again, even after I returned to see if they had a verdict.

Any advice on how to get any kind of Job, or should I just give up.
>>
You're obviously doing something wrong if a fast food place won't hire you. Work on how you present yourself. Have good hygiene, wear appropriate clothes to the interviews, make sure you smile and are very enthusiastic and friendly. See what the starting pay rates are for whatever you're applying for and don't ask for more, you're going to have to gain work experience. Are you handicapped or have a criminal record? Just go to a restaurant and introduce yourself and ask if they're hiring. Shake hands and make eye contact. Idk what else to tell you.
>>
>>17352907
Oh and don't tell any potential employers or coworkers that nobody will hire you! Tell them you couldn't work after high school because you were taking care of your grandparents or something.
>>
>>17352919

I always make sure to shower, brush teeth, comb hair, and other necessary things especially before going in for a job.

When it comes to starting pay I either leave it blank or put the minimum wage for the state I'm applying in. Though looking at it now I come off as a bit desperate.

>>17352921

I don't mention that I'm applying anywhere else unless they ask, and I never mention that I've been out of work for so long.
>>
>>17352955
Don't just dress nice and clean up. Get a shave and a haircut. ALWAYS wear a tie to an interview, and it better be a real one, so learn how to tie a tie if you don't know.

Now there is the point of criminal charges. Where you a little shit as a kid and have a record? Be honest and never leave that section blank, because they find out.

Consider going out and doing some community service or volunteer work. Almost anyone will accept free help and it is something you can put on a resume. You're just out of high school, so going into an adult life immediately probably isn't on the top of your list of to-do's, so do some volunteer work for a month or two to get some credit and references.

Now, the most important things, resume and cover-letters. If you don't have these, you'll never get even the simplest of jobs. If you don't know how to make these. Go online and learn right now. You probably can get by with just a resume for food service and general retail positions, but anything greater, making a cover letter. They often define you from the rest of the swill that applies, and often guarantees you an interview in food service, because you obviously went out of your way to write one, and the boss knows how shitty his establishment is. Get into the habit of writing cover letters early. I fucking hate them, I'm trying to break free of the service and retail industry. Its REALLY fucking hard to say something relevant to the job about yourself some times, but if you start early, you'll learn how to turn a phrase on paper easily.

Cont'
>>
>>17353227
Continued

On your resume you should always have three references at least. Never friends or family. If you don't have any employer or volunteer work references, go back to your old school and ask to talk to your teachers about references. If you did sports, coaches are invaluable references for new kids out of high school. If you don't have work references, it is imperative you earn these quickly. A good reference from your job can make or break your application before you even get a phone call.

I know your new, but you can always fit some sort of experience on a resume, so ALWAYS have one. If you honestly believe you can't fit anything on one, use past sport or school club membership experience, or go do volunteer work.

Another important tip. Never leave anything blank for a job application unless you absolutely have to. This either makes you look lazy or like you're trying to hide something. So if you aren't sure what You're supposed to get paid, get your ass on glassdoor.com and look up salaries. Google is your friend. Don't sell yourself short too, the point is to make yourself look desirable so sell high and let the employer try to talk you down to a lower wage, even if it's minimum. When they tell you its minimum, you fucking guarantee them you'll be shooting for a better one every minute you're there.

Also companies of any kind love it when you do research about them. Did you know the founder of Papa John's pizza's last name is Schneider? John Schneider. And employer will be impressed that you went the extra step to learn about their company because it shows you actually desire the job.

This alone should help you do better. If I can think of more, I'll let you know.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.