[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Short Term Job?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 2.jpg (374 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
374 KB, 1200x1600
26 years old and pretty much worked shit jobs my entire life and looking to upgrade. Willing to pursue certifications/skills.

What do you do and enjoy? Anyone have some advice?

Resume:
6 years in army
3 years line cook/grill cook (money is shit, hours are shit)
some college (~90-100 credit hours into a chemistry major, going to finish this when the financial situation is better)

EMS?
Phlebotomy?
Pharmacy Tech?
Construction?

Not afraid to work hard just want to actually get paid for my time and avoid dealing with dumb asses as much as possible (sales isn't my thing) living in a state with a $7.25/hr minimum wage is super cool because they act like paying you $9-10/hr is them doing you a huge favor and you should shut your mouth and be a good boy.
>>
Being a serviceman is a huge plus when looking for a job.

EMS is thrilling and rewarding, but it's physically damaging and probably pays less than the max you could make as a cook.

Phlebotamy is not bad, but it doesn't pay much more than being a cook. I'd say there's no harm in it, but it's not very ambitious. It must be relatively stress-free.

Note: you can be a different kind of medical tech and be more irreplaceable, and make more money. You could also be a nurse, and they make bank.

Pharmacy tech is not a bad choice. It's probably a good choice for someone who wants to settle into a secure and fair paying job for a long time.

Construction? You could probably get paid more doing electric or plumbing, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

You can be literally anything you want.
>>
I just saw you were making minimum wage as a cook. You can make more, at least in my state. Still, I think looking for a new career path is a great idea for you.
>>
>>17351555

I am making $10/hr as a cook. $350 bucks a week to work second shift and mop up grease until 3 AM is pretty depressing.

Not looking for a career right now just something I can be doing within a month or two for short term income. When I return to school it will be to finish my BS/higher ed.
>>
>>17351502
Depends what you're after. I spent $2000 on a qualification to teach English as a foreign language, currently cruising around Asia and having a great time.

Most places pay food and rent, so you'll find yourself banking whatever you earn if you're clever.
>>
>>17351598

i am tied down for now. currently living with girlfriend of 4 years who is 1 semester away from graduating.

relocation isn't an option for the time being.
>>
>>17351577
Good for you man.

You could probably wait tables and make a decent chunk, have you considered that? Is it something you could swap over to now where you work?

You could also write papers for lazy students online and make a few extra bucks, there are a few sites out there with those kinds of services. :x
>>
>>17351632

Yeah definitely considered it but generally try to avoid shitheads as much as possible. The money would be better though.
>>
>>17351637
Gotta think, it's only temporary until you get back into school and you won't have to deal with a fuckload of change like you would seeking employment somewhere else.

That's what I'd do, desu. Easy moola. When people talk you up, just let them know you're a vet trying working your way through school. Tips tips tips.
>>
>>17351642
Also Welders make good money. Something to look into as well. Never hurts to pick up a good skill that pays well.
>>
>>17351645

waiter (ugh..) seems like a decent part time in addition to what i do now i guess

anyone else have some ideas?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.