[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is coming from a discussion on another board, but I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg (30 KB, 284x400) Image search: [Google]
graphics-alcohol-630122.jpg
30 KB, 284x400
This is coming from a discussion on another board, but I want to ask about "drunk" driving, and what people honestly think is acceptable or not. I know that there is a legal limit, but if someone gets a DUI just over that limit, do you automatically think they're a terrible person?

I feel like treating someone who has a couple of drinks with dinner and blows a .09 like they're complete scum is an exaggeration - it seems like there's no defining line between that and someone who downs a bottle of whiskey and drives down the wrong side of the road.

Anecdotally, my mom is a little nuts, but my dad had three glasses of wine at dinner the other night, and was going to drive home (less than a mile away). She threw herself onto his hood and started screaming that he was a drunk driver and that they needed a cab. Major exaggeration.

Why are people so butthurt about this but seem to be more willing to overlook other crimes?

Also, I'm not trying to say drunk driving is good here, just trying to understand why it's SO demonized.
>>
>>17347039
>downs a bottle of whiskey and drives down the wrong side of the road

Hey, do I know you?

It was actually the turnpike, a bottle of whiskey, a few roxi 30s, and a couple Xanny bars.

Only person I hurt was myself, to be fair.

Only real charges I have ever faced, and I am older, among other things. 19 charges became 3, and only resulted in fines, probation, and a suspended license.

Everyone has been cool, as no priors, and I only hurt myself.
>>
>>17347090
Oh, BAC of .275; yes, that number is real.

I come from a distinguished line of alcoholics.
>>
Having a few drinks under the limit is fine; but here in Canada even having an unopened beer in reach of the driver is illegal. Sometimes things are a little goofy; but general consensus and law are there to protect others from making stupid decisions because they think they're more tolerant (or invincible) than others.
>>
>>17347039
Driving drunk/High is demonized cause it's insanely dangerous/plain stupid. You're putting every single person on the road with you in danger. If you're even a little bit drunk/high you should just get an uber or something to take you home.
>>
>>17347039
>but if someone gets a DUI just over that limit, do you automatically think they're a terrible person?
Bretty much.

>it seems like there's no defining line
There's a very defining line. It's called the legal limit. Don't cross it.

>Why are people so butthurt about this
Because a lot of people die every fucking year.

>but seem to be more willing to overlook other crimes?
Irrelevant and likely out of your ass.

> just trying to understand why it's SO demonized.
Because you could kill innocent people AND kill yourself, so someone who cares about you has every incentive to stop you from doing it, whether they care that you're wronging others or that you might come to harm yourself, or that you might just get a ticket or fuck up the car and take a chunk out of the house budget.

There is literally no upside to drunk driving. There is nothing that makes it worth it. Absolute best-case stars-align life-is-great god-loves-you scenario, you get home in your car instead of a cab/bus. Whoopty fucking do.
>>
>>17347090
>>17347094
holy shit

how big are you and why did you drive that fucked up

>I come from a distinguished line of alcoholics

lol stealing that
>>
>>17347112

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit - sure, many larger cities offer this, but some don't. In addition, finding a 100% sober friend to be your ride is often not possible.

My best example here is living in Las Vegas, until recently, Uber was not around. Cab drivers wouldn't take me home from the Strip because it was "too far." It led to a lot of DUIs. There is no public transportation - and expecting people to find a sober ride is hard. Sometimes the culture out here makes you make mistakes.

Even after 2-3 drinks, someone should just, what? Get a room?
>>
>>17347158
>In addition, finding a 100% sober friend to be your ride is often not possible.
Then don't drink, faggot. It's called thinking ahead.
>>
>>17347153
Now, 5'9" or 5'10"; thank you deadlifts. Also 140 or 145 lbs., though I was 15 to 20 lbs. heavier back when this happened, about two years ago.

I gave my so-called best friend my keys. Was going through a breakup, and was supposed to see her that night. My friend gave me the keys back.
>>
>>17347039
Because even with some alcohol in you below the limit reaction speed is slowed down. The couple of meters more before you start pushing the brake can make the difference between dying, killing and everyone escaping alive. The main issue is that you're not just killing or hurting yourself by being an idiot that lands himself into a tree, most of the time you land yourself into another person or car. You could have gotten drunk in your home if you were into that. Also it gets people so angry because everyone knows you shouldn't do it; You can't claim ignorance at all.
>>
>>17347218
wanna party with you bro lol

your friend is a faggot for giving those keys back
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.