[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I ordered five notebooks, they cost 0,80 euros each. I got my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 345634.jpg (21 KB, 425x443) Image search: [Google]
345634.jpg
21 KB, 425x443
I ordered five notebooks, they cost 0,80 euros each. I got my order, there are 62 notebooks. So I got more than I ordered. I should notify the store about this, right? Everyone tells me to just keep them but isn't that stealing?
>>
It might depend on the store/country, but last I checked it's illegal for stores to charge you for things they send you by mistake. I guess it used to be a bit of a scam to send someone too much merch, then charge them for it when they don't send it back, which is unfair because sending it back places a burden on the customer that they didn't consent to. So any extra stuff you're sent is legally a gift with purchase and the shop's own mistake.
I'd look it up myself if I were you though.

In any case, that's a lot of notebooks. If it's a smaller company, I'd probably contact them and let them know what happened just to be polite/clear your conscience. That's happened to me before and they just thanked me for my honesty and let me keep the extra merch.
If it's a huge company that won't notice the difference, it's probably not worth fretting over. Maybe donate some of the extra books to a kids' charity or something if you feel bad (or generally don't want 62 freaking notebooks lying around).
>>
>>17346216
>isn't that stealing?

In some countries/jurisdictions, trying to keep goods delivered to you by mistake would be considered theft (I believe there are a couple states in Australia that have codified this into criminal law, and at least one in the USA). Generally speaking though, I think in most countries, recovery would be done via civil process.

The particular legal doctrine in common law countries permitting civil recovery is called "unjust enrichment": you cannot unfairly benefit or profit from someone else's mistake. So yeah, depending on your country & local law, you may be legally obligated to inform the vendor of their mistake, and you would need to comply with reasonable requests to arrange return shipping if they their goods back. Requesting that YOU pay to ship it back is generally not considered reasonable.

If you call and they tell you that you can keep the goods, request that they tell you this in writing. Email is better than nothing. If you don't get anything from them, send your own email saying along the lines that you had a conversation, and you're emailing to confirm that they said you could keep it. I'd hold onto the stuff for at least a couple months before you get rid of it, just in case.

>>17346229
>So any extra stuff you're sent is legally a gift with purchase and the shop's own mistake.

This isn't true most places in the western world.

While the store cannot require the customer to pay for the items or pay for return shipping, if they arrange return shipping themselves, the customer is required to comply with reasonable demands for the return of accidentally delivered goods.
>>
I emailed them and they asked me to return the extras, also I will get a giftcard as a thanks. Sure it sucks to take them to mail because they are really heavy and I'm not very strong but I'll figure something out.
>>
>>17346216
Do you need or want 60 fucking notebooks?
>>
Should have sold the extras for less than what the company charges. If you do plan to return them, the company needs to pay for shipping.
>>
>>17346273
Ask them to make a call tag for whatever shipper they're using and to have the extra notebooks picked up from your home. I imagine that's like 40 Kg of paper they're asking you to carry.

And if they're asking you to pay for shipping, fuck that. They don't have any right to ask for you to pay for their mistake, gift certificate or not.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.