[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I become a wandering bachelor?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 260x194
Any advice/tips on how to be a wandering bachelor? I'm in my 20s and bored of my friends and job. I want to out and live a cool life as a solo young male. Yeah I'm gonna go be a weeaboo for a minute and say shit like Space Dandy, the wandering bounty hunter Spike in cowboy bebop, something where I just get to explore the world (minus all the fictional anime shit obviously)

http://youtu.be/TfadJj4d5K4

Vid related
>>
Teach English in Japan

It will be just like being a space pirate
>>
Um... pic related is from Outlaw Star, not Cowboy Bebop.
>>
>>17344995
Yeah I know
>>
Thanks for reminding me how bad the dub was for outlaw star.
>>
>>17345084
Also no hotsprings episode on toonami
>>
File: 1383664817361.gif (951 KB, 350x280) Image search: [Google]
1383664817361.gif
951 KB, 350x280
thats a lonely way to live
>>
Your first concern is money. You either need to have money saved up to fund the lifestyle for a short duration, or you need to have some way to make money without a job. There are three things which can work. Passive income is great, but it's not something you can just get, so if you don't already have it or aren't already working towards it, you may as well forget about it. Working remotely through a computer is another options, as long as you have internet access you can make some money. Given that you want to have the flexibility to do things when you want, you'll have to look at freelancing options. If you do a web search for online freelancing, you'll find a variety of options with work ranging from dumb, mundane tasks to somewhat skilled work like transcription of audio clips to professional work like programming. The last option is to have some sort of skill you can sell and perform as a service. Basically, you'd just be self-employed but moving from place to place without a real home. This, however, can be difficult. First, you need to have some sort of skill that people would be willing to pay you to perform. Anything you already have practice in or know about can serve as a good starting point for ideas on what to do as a service. The other thing you need is the ability to be a good salesman and find clients in cities where you don't know anyone or have any references to the quality of your work. This can be really difficult to learn. If you go this route, try to get at least a couple months of practice in your home city before you quit your job and embark on your journey.

The second concern is how you're actually going to live. First you need a bed and a roof over your head. Apartments are too long-term to fit the lifestyle. Hotels can add up to a lot of money even if you get cheap ones. Even extended stay hotels that rent small apartment-like rooms out by the week are too expensive.
>>
>>17345867
Unless you plan on seducing a woman into her bed every night, you're probably going to need a vehicle you can sleep in comfortably. A van can be made into a reasonable living space for sleep and relaxation, and offer a good amount of space to store personal items. Other than that, I think your only option would be to tent, which is bound to cause you trouble sooner or later because you can't just pitch a tent wherever you feel like.

Your third concern comes to personal hygiene. If you have a hotel room of some kind, this is already taken care of. If not, your best option would be to purchase a membership at a chain of gyms. Those gyms have showers and bathrooms that you're free to use to keep yourself clean. A good place to get some exercise is an added benefit.

Your last concern would be food. If you happen to have a kitchen at your disposal, there's little you need to change. If not, you'll have to adapt to being unable to cook. Eating out at restaurants frequently is possible, but you generally want to avoid it due to the cost. You'll want to visit local grocery stores often to buy a very small amount of food, since you won't be able to preserve it well. Get used to eating fruits and nuts, because those are great for this lifestyle. They don't need to be kept cool to last a while and they don't need to be warmed up to enjoy them. You need vegetables, too, but they will spoil quickly if you can't keep them cool, so only buy enough that you can eat in one sitting and can enjoy raw. Bread is okay, just try to buy it in small amounts so you don't waste a lot. When you do eat at a restaurant, look for variety in your diet. Don't get something made up of the same things you're constantly eating.
>>
>>17344992
>Teach English in Japan
Can you do this if you have no experience/connections and only community college degree?
>>
>>17345900
it never hurts to apply

however teaching english or any subject is far from the lifestyle OP talks about, it keeps you tied up in a new city that will lose its novelty in 2 months.
>>
>>17345896
Some more general things you should know:

Reduce continuous costs as much as possible. The more money you spend every month, the more time you're going to have to spend working rather than doing stuff and enjoying yourself. This is why you want to avoid hotel rooms and eating at restaurants as much as possible. Large upfront costs are okay, as you can save money to pay for them at your current job.

Prepare yourself to deal with unexpected trouble. You're going to places you're not familiar with, and you're likely to run into the bad part of town sooner or later. Learn how to protect yourself should trouble come your way.

Be sociable. When you go somewhere, stop and talk to some people. If you insist on doing every on your own, you'll find that you'll quickly run out of interesting things to do. Your experiences with people will spice up your outings and make them more unique, while also allowing you to take your time with things so the interest lasts longer before you move on.
>>
>>17345900
>Can you do this if you have no experience/connections and only community college degree?

No, actually. You need a Bachelor's Degree to get any work in Japan as a foreigner, an Associate's would be insufficient. It doesn't matter what kind, you just need it for the immigration laws.
>>
>>17345867
Need a bed and a roof, ever heed of a swagman? Get a trenchcoat a swag, maybe a colapasble rod, get yourself some trapping skills, learn to skin and prepare small game, learn some tricks for collecting and purifying water, get a 'bush tucka' book something that tells you the edible flora and fona and how to identify but also learn how to detect toxic plants (smell, rub, taste) and get a quality multi tool/pocket knife, if you can entertain I.E play an instrument does make survival easier 1000fold since you don't have to scavenge everything you eat if you can get even a little money. And prepare to fight for survival not for luxury. Will be stronger than any man in socociety after a few years.
>TFW society makes everyone soft, and is slowly reversing evolution
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.