[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Begging at a job interview
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 847x567) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 847x567
I am in a really really bad, abusive situation. I have a job interview as a manager in training at a department store on Tuesday. The job requires a bachelor's degree, which I have. I also have a child.

In other words: I NEED THIS JOB.

I need a good paying job, and fast. And I see this as my ticket out. If I get hired-- I am OUT in two weeks and can start a new life for me and my kid.

Is there ANY way I can mention my bad situation to the person interviewing me (the store manager does the first interview and the district manager does the second interview) to let them know that I am willing to work harder because I REALLY NEED this job for me and my child's well-being? I do not want to come across as begging. But time is of the essence.

Please. Please help. Any advice, really. Thank you so much.
>>
I also do not have any managing experience but hence the training program so I do not think it is too much of a negative
>>
>>17344824
Describe it as being very motivated.
>>
>>17344824
It really depends on the manager. You have to gauge yourself whether they care about people or only about the buisness.

Either way I'd say you can mention your kid as a motivating factor. It'd give me an incentive since I'm aware you won't be flaky
>>
If I were you, I'd kind of very lightly hint at your situation and let the interviewer extrapolate the rest. Hopefully they put 2 and 2 together and realize you really need the job. Of course no one wants to come off as needy during an interview, so it's a fine line to walk.

I agree with
>>17344881
that mentioning your kid wouldn't hurt, and of course do all the prep things to make sure you're prepared for the interview (research the job, duties, the company, think about what questions they'll ask you, etc) If it were me, I'd be looking for a new manager who's done their homework about the job and is prepared as fuq, since that's probably indicative of their personality as a whole.

Beyond that, I think it's up to the company. Best of luck to you, bro. Hope it works out for both you and your kids' sakes.
>>
>>17344881
>>17344929
Thanks guys
>>
Is there a way I should phrase that I'm in a desperate situation?

Just don't know how to professionally say hey I really really really really need to get out of this bad spot I am in.
>>
>>17344965
Maybe something like "I apologize for this being unprofessional, but my child and I aren't in the best of situations currently, and this job would help us an incredible amount, so I'd just like you to know that if I'm hired, I will do whatever it takes to ensure my work is exceptional."

I'd say it at the tail end of the interview. Make sure you appeal to their emotions if possible, and gauge the interviewer to see if they'll respond to your plight. At that point it's all mind games to get them to a. like you b. feel sorry for you and c. think you'll do a good job.
>>
Rather than talk about how bad of a situation you're in and how much you need the job, I think it would be more productive to talk about how much value you'd add to the company if they were to hire you.

Businesses don't make decisions based on how it helps other people, they chose what benefits the business. So, talk about the value of the work you'll perform, the help it will bring, or the money it will generate. They want you to show that you're going to add more to the business than it costs to pay you.
>>
>>17345032
DONT do that. You are supposed to become a fucking manager, somebody able to manage his emotions and stay professional.

Come prepared as fuck, try to see what kind of person you have in front of you. If it sees to you that you are in front of a "people" person, who might have some empathy with you, try to give hint the fact that you are motivated/needy/willing to put the effort and the hours because of your personal situation.
>>
I know how you feel, but the suit n tie people care more about how you'll help them. They're not very sypathetical so begging may backfire. How likely is it you get the job?

Being anxious before something big will happen is normal, if you knew the outcome you wouldn't be anxious.

Show what you have to offer, that you're willing to learn and be polite.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.