[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work for a medium sized HVAC company on the west coast and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: sun.jpg (306 KB, 1799x664) Image search: [Google]
sun.jpg
306 KB, 1799x664
I work for a medium sized HVAC company on the west coast and my boss is pissed wants me to focus on employee retention. We've been slowly bleeding good technicians to larger companies and he wants it to stop, he is willing to negotiate a budget with me depending on what I come up with. Our wages are already very competitive with guaranteed raises and we have great benefits. I was thinking having stuff like free breakfast (good shit like pancakes and bacon) in the morning at the shop and offering to pay for a percentage on new tools might help but those are my only ideas so far and I worry they might seem kind of gay or forced to the guys who actually have to work hard for a living. So I'm asking you guys, what kind of perks would you like to see at work that would actually make you happy?
>>
>>17342013
I worked a job earlier this year. Was a lab job.

They had the best fucking perks. They had a problem with too much employee retention; fuckers wouldn't retire.
When I got there all my coworkers were over 45. Some pushing 60.
They were all shit workers because they've been there 20+ years.

Bitching aside, the administration did some good shit.
The baseline is "paid days off".
That's it.
That's the end all be all.

All the other perks are secondary. Free breakfast is nice but no one really cares. It's like finding a dollar on the ground.
It's nice, but it's just a happenstance type stuff.

Paid days off? Fuck, you divert yourself for that.

In the summer, they had a 4 day work week, with Friday's being paid days off.
That's the biggest thing.

You offer workers a whole paid day off, you got shit there.

I know it's expensive as fuck, but you try to make it like twice a year or something, and some will stay.

Alternatively, maybe your job just sucks.
>>
>>17342028
You know, this is exactly the fucking problem and I didn't hit me until I read this even though it was right in front of my face. These guys get a shit ton of PTO but none of it can be used in the summer because the entire industry is slammed and everyone works at least 12 hrs a day six days a week sometimes on call the 7th. My boss and I are the type of idiots that think everyone loves overtime money so it never occurred to me that dudes are just burning out. I'm thinking maybe hiring temporary new guys right before next summer and training them before the busy season hits might help give our guys normal weekends. I'll run it by him on monday, thanks annon!
>>
>>17342057
>12 hours a day
>6 days a week
Jesus Fuck, there are some numbers you could pay me to do that but it'd have to be really fucking high.
Like a grand a day type of shit.

Yeah, summer is hard, but fuck you gotta let people at least be a person.
Those types of shifts have people coming off work, going home, sleeping, and then waking up to go to work.
No surprise people quit.

I think you got the right idea.
Make it 5 days a week and 8 hours and you can have people forever.
Anything more and you have a high chance of "Fuck this, I want a job, not a lifestyle"
>>
>>17342057
>everyone works at least 12 hrs a day six days
God damn, you guys were actually wondering why you were bleeding workers? Yeah, fix that shit asap. Good pay is nice and all, but what's the point if you never have any time to spend it?
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.