[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have to go to college soon. I'm from a lower-class family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1443662580115.gif (129 KB, 380x430) Image search: [Google]
1443662580115.gif
129 KB, 380x430
I have to go to college soon. I'm from a lower-class family and I have good grades (3.8 GPA, 2050 SAT), which leaves me with the option of trying to get into a good specialized college (might be difficult), or a state school (If it's relevant, it's UGA). Considering my parents have no money at all put aside for my education, it's definitely better to choose the latter option, right?

I think that's the obviously correct thing to do, but I'd really like some perspective on this from strangers to see what I might be missing out on. Also, I don't have any specific career I'm interested in.
>>
>>17341330
Apply everywhere and then evaluate the financial aid packages that any university offers you. Specialized schools and private universities actually have more leeway in making money available, they are taking money from private endowments rather than from the state.

It's silly to think that you can't afford one college before you've even seen what they can give you in aid.
>>
>>17341627
Alright, thanks.
>>
If you have a 3.8 and live in georgia, you qualify for the Hope scholarship. Apply everywhere you can in Georgia, it'll save you a lot if you go on state
>>
>>17341641
I think I also get some like the Zell Miller scholarship. Is it possible to get a near free ride with these added up?
>>
>>17341330
FWIW you will smoke the average state school applicant with that GPA and those test scores.Aim high, apply to a lot of schools, and then sit back and weigh your options.
>>
>>17342521
>apply to a lot of schools
Why? Is it because you only find out about the scholarships once you're accepted and all?

I'm kind of clueless about this process.
>>
>>17341330
Professor writing here.

With that GPA you can be pretty confident of getting into your state university, and might really aim higher - say, to the Ivy League.

But since noting is ever absolutely certain, you have to apply to at least 4 schools. One should be the worst-case fallback, your state's second-string uni (the one with the word "State" in its name), one the first-string state uni (the "university of") and two wouldn't-it-be-great-if choices.

When you write away for the application forms, ask for the financial aid applications as well, and send both in.

They will decide whether to accept you first, and then whether to offer you money. (There are some colleges committed to giving you both - if they accept you they'll make sure you get a package of grants, jobs and loans to be able to go.)
>>
>>17342685
Never expected to get a professor's response, thanks. This is very helpful. Is it true that the financial aid I'd be given rapidly decreases for the reach schools? It's one of the main reasons I'm being urged to consider the first-string school the most, despite me being able to do better.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.