[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is she shit testing?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (573 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
573 KB, 1400x1400
I recently started dating a woman a few years younger than me.

fyi I'm got high functioning Avoidant (Anxious) Personality Disorder, so naturally I question a lot of other people's motivation and attitude towards me. I'm not a total sperg, but I sometimes got difficulty spotting when people are being ironic/sarcastic, and often it takes me a while to get that people are having a laugh at me - which isn't necessarily a bad thing, because it means I don't react to it other than factually, so I never really get angry or upset at people I'm not very close to. I'm usually quite unaffected by people trying to get an emotional response out of me. It might sound like I'm very boring, but I usually connect to people quite quickly, but I don't always show my vulnerability that easy.

Anyway, this woman I was on a 2nd date with last Tuesday commented on how I didn't seem that humble, and said that being humble is one of the traits she values the most. I kind of just brushed it off, and it didn't become an argument, but she seemed sceptical, something her body language confirmed as she sat with her arms crossed.

Was she shit testing me? Because if she was, I feel like I passed, but also I feel like a cynic for thinking like this.

What do you think /adv? Do you agree that all women shit test, even the kindest ones with the best intentions can't avoid it, as it's part of how females select partners?
>>
Kind of sounds like a bitch, but she *could* have been joking.
>>
>>17339749
I think she was being sincere.

She has studied psychology for five years, so I was feeling like I was being analysed, but intellectually I know it doesn't work like that - everybody makes their opinion of others based on talk and body language.

The thing that made her comment, was we were talking about a certain club in the city I live in, and I told her I never pay for entrance when I go there, because basically everyone working the doors know me, so whenever there's someone new working who doesn't recognise me, I just tell them that I don't need to pay. I know it sounds aloof, but it works, and saves me about 10-20 euros each time (at least once a week.)

She told me she thought it sounded like I felt entitled.

The date ended with her walking with me, in the opposite direction to where she was going, for a couple of blocks, and we made out before we said goodbye. Basically my question is: Would this have happened if I failed the shit test, and started defending myself and getting upset that she called me entitled? It's kind of a general question, I think.
>>
>>17339785
Based on the full story, you're fine. She definitely wouldn't have done that if she wasn't at least moderately into you.
>>
>>17339742
>I'm got high functioning Avoidant (Anxious) Personality Disorder
This label is making you behave a certain way. The label and associated symptoms get to your head to the point where you think you're doing certain things because that's who you are. When in reality you are doing them because that's how you think you should act. It's almost like a placebo effect.

>something her body language confirmed as she sat with her arms crossed.
See, you're TRYING to be as autistic as possible. Nobody acts like this. Even actual autistic people.

It will be difficult and you may be unwilling because you hold on to your diagnosis and truly believe something is wrong with you, but my advice to you would be to act and behave as if you never found out you were autistic. Especially, don't read up on symptoms of autism and stay away from it as much as possible. Which basically means don't go on 4chan.
>>
>>17339889
That's funny, cause her reaction when I told her how I sometimes mess up understanding when people are being ironic, was to tell me that hey maybe I actually do have Aspergers, but it turned out she was just messing with me.

Your point is interesting though. I almost suspect you to be my closest friend, who knows I often browse /adv/ and also knows I listen to pic related. It would be really easy for him to call my OP out.
>>
>>17339889
However, being conscious of other people's body language isn't autistic. Not being aware of how other people are feeling, which body language can be an indicator of, is more autistic tbqh

My AvPD has actually made me make more bold moves with people, and helped me realise my own restrictions. Although I haven't changed my whole personality, I feel like I've had more gains than adversity after I got a label on it.
>>
>>17340024
>I almost suspect you to be my closest friend
Nope, sorry I don't know who you are

>>17340050
>Not being aware of how other people are feeling, which body language can be an indicator of, is more autistic tbqh

Which is why autistic people need to force themselves to notice social cues. Normally people would just get a "feeling" without consciously reading into body language and all that.

This is a whole other discussion but I truly believe that the majority of people with autism just don't spend enough time around other people. Social skills are like a muscle that need to be worked constantly. Like anything else they can be made better and feel more natural with practice.

I apologize if I didn't actually answer your question.

>commented on how I didn't seem that humble, and said that being humble is one of the traits she values the most.

What was the context of this? What did you say or do? My advice would be to work on being more humble, it's never a bad trait to have and it's something that can be worked into your personality.
>>
>>17339742
>Avoidant (Anxious) Personality Disorder
Why does everything have to be a disorder these days?
>>
>>17340187
Thanks for even replying. I tend to not get many replies whenever I create threads, which has happened maybe 8 times the last year. I spend a few hours every day posting in other anons threads, so I appreciate any well-worded reply I get.

>Normally people would just get a "feeling" without consciously reading into body language and all that.
Are you saying that stuff like avoiding eye contact isn't something people notice as such, but rather subconsciously translate into a 'feeling'?
I don't get how reading body language is autistic. Yes, it's something you can train yourself to be better at, like police officers do, but as a layman trying to understand women better, I don't see the harm in noticing stuff like how close she wants to sit/stand next to me, which side of her body she makes face me, whether she has an open or closed (protective) body language, etc. It her way of telling me how well I'm doing, without having to spell it out, and the better I read and respond according to, the better we'll both feel that we communicate.

(cont.)
>>
>>17340187
>What was the context of this?
I explained this in >>17339785
I told her that I never expect to pay cover charge, and if someone I don't know asks me, I tell them I always get free of charge, and it always works. Maybe she felt I was being smug about it, but I told her because we were talking about bands that have performed there, and I explained that I didn't always catch the names of the bands I've seen because I often just go there with no intention to see any concerts, thus I've seen bands without noticing any hype or advertising.
I reckon I would remember which bands I've seen if I always had to make the decision to pay to watch gigs.

>My advice would be to work on being more humble
I know I should practice this more, and it might be hard to understand, but I feel like my somewhat lack of humbleness in certain situations, is an expression of my intuition that people don't need to pray so much for other people's acceptance and permission, and is in fact my way of encouraging people I interact with to do as they will. I'm not sure if this comes across well, but I'm an advocate for Zen principals and whenever people are being rude towards me, I never take it personally, and in fact consider it something they are doing to themselves - you know, karma.
Reversed, this logic makes me neglect how some people feel the need to be interacted with from a humble approach, but to be fair, this isn't applied whenever they're talking to a rockstar. Now, I'm no rockstar, but I do feel like I belong wherever I go, if you can dig? I don't neglect being humble because of any view on it as signs of weakness, but because it just feels like unnecessary etiquette, replacing true acceptance.
>>
>>17339785
I'm not physic so I can't tell what was going on in her head, but i can tell you that she sounds like an annoying cunt. The kind that makes an issue out of every small thing.

She's obviously into you, but I would think twice before going into a steady relationship with her if I were you. She could be good for a few fucks though.
>>
>>17340212
Yeah I know. I didn't ask for it. Was being assessed for Depressive Disorder. Mfw they gave me one extra.
>>
>>17340392
I highly doubt it. She actually seems like a really nice, considerate woman.
As I've said ITT, I believe all women does it. Women will always find something about a prospective man and push his buttons to see how well he takes it. I see it everywhere.

If I should deem a girl a cunt just for practising this laughable gesture, I would run out if women real fast.
>>
>>17340416
Maybe it only happens where you live, as I very rarely had to put up with it. And I don't think it's any kind of test. I think she was 100% serious and she thought you were somewhat entitled for going into that club for free and she just had to mention it. Which makes her an annoying cunt in my perspective.
>>
>>17340438
You just haven't been aware of it.
Whenever a girl criticise your appearance, what you do for a living, the way you behave, anything, it's a test to see how you react. It's a natural selection thing.
>>
>>17340468
you cant be this deluded.
>>
>>17340586
I have done conscious examinations of situations where this happens. It's a real thing.

Have you? How am I deluded?
>>
>>17340604
>Whenever a girl criticise
So basically girls criticize their potential partners only as a test? They can't be doing it because they want him to change? Or simply because they're annoyed by something? In your mind the only reason why a girl would criticize a guy she's interested in is to evaluate him?

Surely some of them do that, sometimes, but, first of all it's not a natural selection thing and secondly not all of them do it and those who do it don't do it all the time. And when they criticize a potential mate it's not always a test.

There's nothing in their DNA or hardwired in their brains or anything like that that makes them do it. It's simply a behavior inspired by other people around them. In some cultures it was normal, men were basically tested when proposing to a woman, maybe that's why some of them still do these things. But to claim that all of them do it and that they do it every time they criticize someone is beyond ridiculous. The percentage of girls who do that is actually pretty small.

>I have done conscious examinations of situations where this happens. It's a real thing.
>I'm an expert on this issue, just take my word for it
You've got to be kidding me.
Well I've done conscious examinations of situations where this never happens. It's not a real thing. What now, huh?
>>
>>17340604
Break It up ladies. You're both right. Women shit test and they are legitimate and real sometimes with talking shit.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.